• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (23 Viewers)

Well I for one am thinking of popping across for the gull on Saturday...maybe even making a full day of it as well get the list off to a flyer so to speak.
What time of day is the gull favouring?

Think i might try to get the year off to a flyer too on saturday, so if anyone nails the RBG i'll be monitoring birdguides. Even the missus is excited about trying to get a big day list. Mark.

I've just submitted sightings for Tree Sparrows in Huby near York as the flocks have been large 100-200 in and around my inlaws garden.

Nice one Mark. Sadly they are good numbers. I remember, when I started birding, ignoring Corn Buntings at Bempton and around Martin Mere. Not seen either this year

Had 3 different Little Owls in the last week just on the outskirts of york. Might see if i can "out Doc" Paul and find the breeding pairs next spring.

Heres to a cracking 2011!

I'm staying in Horsforth at the moment at my cousin's and took the opportunity to spend a couple of hours at Fairburn Ings today. A lovely site with some very good birds and a friendly birder gave us some much appreciated on the LEOs, which I'll hopefully be going for later this week.

A very showy Water Rail by the pickup hide, several Goosander overhead and a flock of Willow Tits by the visitor centre were the highlights along with the likes of 3 Goldeneye on the river and 2 stunning Bullfinches and very good numbers of Tree Sparrows. Also got a quick glimpse of a Kingfisher's rear end and a mink by the Kingfisher screen.

Also had Woodcock and a number of winter thrushes feeding around the house in Horsforth as well as Red Kite. None of the looked-for Waxwings as of yet though.

Tawny taken up near Swinsty - many thanks to Jim :t::t::t: for spotting this bad boy on recent brief sortie south, before Christmas.

Not a match on Jim's fighting Nuthatches though.

Attachments

• toewl.jpg
    toewl.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 109
Had a spot of fog bashing today or at least that what it felt like.
First stop Calder Wetlands - visibility maybe 200 yards, managed gadwall, tufted, pochard and teal along with a few mute swans, plenty of redwing flying over. No mergansers or smew though.
Next stop Fairburn Ings and at the Lin Dyke end of the reserve, Ken and I drew a blank on the LEO, we could hardly see the trees never mind what may be perched in them. A pair of bullfinches that flew down were a welcome fillip. On to the visitor centre at Fairburn and Ken got a year tick in the shape of willow tit, whilst it was nice to see a healthy tree sparrow population I'd have liked a few redpoll.
Last stop Swillington Ings, dead easy here, when we got to the top of the bank we couldn't see Astley Lake so we gave up.
I'm now typing this and looking out the window - visibility absolutely great, isn't it marvelous. Roll on the New Year

With many thanks to Jim for the location advice, I caught up with the Ring Billed Gull this morning. Spent an hour searching between the GPs and the weir and eventually found it at the river. Not sure where it had been feeding because it was well marked on the back of the head but it settled down to have a good wash - until some compressed air from a lorry tyre being changed on the river side road spooked the lot! Also first thing there were five male and three female Goosanders at the river - looked like they were pairing up.

Attachments

• DSC_7608.jpg
    DSC_7608.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 73
Ok, so I headed down to Fleetwood Boating lake... managed to see this swan. Is it a Whooper? I`m not sure, never seen one before. Lots of Goldeneyes and Turnstones over there too..

Attachments

• small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Yep it's a whooper, Clare.
If you look at the bill you can see that the yellow extends down under the nostril, this only happens on whoopers. On a Bewick the yellow would have stopped before reaching the nostril

I managed to delete the last post, oops.

This is the pretty duck i found.. i`m sure it`s really common... a Mallard, or something, but it wasn`t as dark as the other females...

I have minimal duck knowledge.

Attachments

• 3small.jpg
    3small.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
i think i have found my second favourite duck...

he`s quite gorgeous.

(ignore my rubbish photos today... the weather was bleuurgh)

Attachments

• goldeneyesmll.jpg
    goldeneyesmll.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 94
Hi All

Popped along to Potteric Carr today taking advantage of there free voucher scheme that they are currently running.
Had a great day made better by a decent bacon bap.
The feedig area was really busy having the following
2 x Water Rail
Brambling
Chaffinch
Reed Bunting
2 X Great Spotted Woodies one of which had a go at a Moor hen which was on the table.
Greenfinch

Siskin in the alders around the reserve next to the railway line close to the Decoy hide.
Bittern put in a brief sighting seen flying from the decoy hide.
Kingfisher by the bridge near the cafe.

Has to be one of the best places I've ever been to see Water Rail.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back