• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x43 DCP SP vs. 8x42 DCF WPII (1 Viewer)

TEF

I see that Pentax has re-released the 8x42 DCF WP roof binoculars now "improved" and designated as DCF WPII. I have been considering the 8x43 DCF SP's as one of my choices in a mid-priced waterproof binocular for birding. The SP's replaced the original WP's. Now we have both. Does anyone know what the difference is other than the SP's cost $150 more?

Ted

Last edited:
The WPs use an aluminum housing which makes them weigh a few ounces more. The SPs also use ED glass somewhere in their design. Those are the only differences that I am 100% sure of. I thought the SPs had the exclusive on the use of an aspheric lens in the eyepiece design but just read that the WPs have them as well. I cannot remember where I read it though at the moment. I know that was one issue that separated the SPs with the HRIIs.

FrankD said:
I cannot remember where I read it though at the moment. I know that was one issue that separated the SPs with the HRIIs.
A comparison of the Pentax SP and WPII series glasses would be useful for many who take an interest in these glasses.

2. I still use an 8x42WP which I bought from Adorama in NY in March 2001, choosing it over the Niikon 8x32SE owing to the difference in price and notwithstanding the difference in optics. I wonder what kind of warranty service I can get on them. I no longer have the receipt or the warranty; only the user's manual. I cannot see any serial number on the binocular either.
Chhayanat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back