• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (7 Viewers)

Has anyone else noted the large nu8mbers of Siskins about at the moment. I have noted small, (family), parties about at Wadebridge, Bodmin, Launceston, Lostwithiel and all about the Camel Estuary. Must have had a good breeding season.

I had a group of about half a dozen siskens at Bodmin about 2 weeks ago, but haven't been in Cornwall long enough to have a feel for how unusual that is.

Two 1st summer Med Gulls at Swanpool today. Seems to be good numbers around at the moment, with an adult and three 2nd summers there on Tue and several on the Lizard recently

Has anyone else noted the large nu8mbers of Siskins about at the moment. I have noted small, (family), parties about at Wadebridge, Bodmin, Launceston, Lostwithiel and all about the Camel Estuary. Must have had a good breeding season.

Hi Derek
They have summered and probably bred on the Lizard this year, first time ever I guess.

Hi Derek
They have summered and probably bred on the Lizard this year, first time ever I guess.

Since the first confirmed breeding in the county in 1984, this species has now colonised half the county, (east of a line between Newquay and St Austell), and has start to advance into the west. Global warming is not all bad.:t::t::t::smoke:

There has been a pair of Siskins all summer in the Kenwyn area of Truro. They first appeared last summer.

A Balearic Shearwater west past Lizard Point this evening, with a manxie - offering good a comparison of flight style & structural differences.

Also Nightjar churring at the usual spot....

Hi I'm down to Cornwall and Scilly for a fortnight in a couple of weeks time. It's a family holiday but I'm across to St Mary's hopefully for Wilson's though only one recorded so far.

Is the Black Duck still around - wasn't sure if it had gone or just not being looked for.

Also any news on local goodies including Butterflies much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi I'm down to Cornwall and Scilly for a fortnight in a couple of weeks time. It's a family holiday but I'm across to St Mary's hopefully for Wilson's though only one recorded so far.

Is the Black Duck still around - wasn't sure if it had gone or just not being looked for.

Thanks.

Hi Lawts - your best bet is to bookmark these local Cornish sites:
www.cornwall-birding.co.uk for up to date sightings
www.cbwps.org.uk for latest news
www.scillypelagics.com for scilly pelagic updates
www.sennen-cove.com/birds for west Cornwall bird news only
www.swopticsphoto.com my site for latest images

Thanks

Steve

Hi Lawts - your best bet is to bookmark these local Cornish sites:
www.cornwall-birding.co.uk for up to date sightings

Steve

Up to date sightings? I don't think so. At time of posting (Sunday evening) the most recent daily update (sic) is 15/7, four days out of touch, including a weekend and monthly bird reviews not done since March!
Try any of the proper bird information services if you want recent news.
Dave

Thanks for filling us in Dave. Although your dig at the beginning was again quite tedious and un-called for. I have friends and contacts throughout the country, none of which live on the Lizard. And as it was a third hand report i wouldn't have found out about it anyway. Especially as the news went to you and you 'dutifully phoned a few people'. Im sure we can guess who they were. Can i suggest that you stop showing yourself up by posting what i can only presume are comments brought about by some form of jealousy? (i cant think of any other reason seeing you are such an apparently Godly person) I rose above the previous comments and hoped you would do the same, but it appears you can't. Reply to this should you so wish. I won't be drawn into any further juvenile converstation with you. And my apologies to other BF members who are also tired of Daves snipes. (and no thats not another new species!)

Paul,
I utterly reject your claim that my comments are “brought about by some form of jealousy”. Why should I be jealous of someone who I have already shown to be an inept birder, an incompetent editor and quite frankly, morally bankrupt?
Also, at no point have you “risen above my previous comments”, quite the opposite. If you go back to the beginning it was you that started the exchange by accusing me of casting aspersions, something I had been careful not to do! Then at every reply, in your arrogance you chose to escalate the situation while denying the truth. It was only after I had called your bluff and convincingly and irrefutably exposed your incompetence and lies, that you ran away with your tail between your legs to lick your wounds.
So stop whinging and accusing me of sniping I am only doing what you invited me to do, remember? If you don’t like being ridiculed in public, stop posting ridiculous statements on a public forum.
Dave Parker

Thanks.

Hi Lawts,

Check here for latest on butterflies: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/cornwall-butterfly-conservation/

Not sure what local butterflies of particular interest will be out in a couple of weeks time though.

Thanks.

Hi Lawts,

The Black Duck is still around somewhere and has been since 1999. In recent years he has spent a few days in May and June at Colliford before disappearing again. Where he gets to for the rest of the year is a bit of a mystery.

Hopefully you may be lucky and find him having an extended break this year - he can be very elusive so if you don't see him straight away give it some time just to make sure he's not hiding away.

Darrell

Thanks.

You don't say which part of Cornwall you are visiting but Grayling and Silver-studded Blue are around and second brood Small Pearl-bordered have just appeared up at Marsland. Biggest populations of Silver-studded are on the towans at Perranporth/Penhale and Hayle/Gwithian. Smaller popuations on coastal heaths and grass. Grayling, Small-pearl and Dark Green Fritillary can also been seen at similar sites but in smaller numbers. Marbled White and Silver-washed Fritillary are East Cornwall species. Always worth checking old mine sites and quarrys - you may discover new populations as the colonies seem to be very small. Painted Lady should be out in numbers soon. No idea what is happening on the Isles of Scilly at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if there were some Clouded Yellow around.

Would appreciate some records from you visit.

John
Cornwall Butterfly Recorder

Marbled White and Silver-washed Fritillary are East Cornwall species.
John

Hi John
I have found Silver-washed on the Lizard (many years ago) and had one in my garden near Helston more recently. Are there any other West Cornwall sites?
Andy

Hi John
I have found Silver-washed on the Lizard (many years ago) and had one in my garden near Helston more recently. Are there any other West Cornwall sites?
Andy

Hi Andy,

I have nine, 21st Century records from the Lizard peninsula. Other than that Tremayne Wood in 2006 and Gwinear Road in 2003. Last Penrose record is 2002 and Godolphin Woods 1999. Draw a line from Padstow to St. Austell and the main distribution is to the east of that line. Would be interested in the date and grid for your record.

John
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/cornwall-butterfly-conservation/

Hi John,

They're still at Poltesco and Gwendreath, or at least they were 11th July 2007 when I last looked and had 2 and 7+ respectively.

Up to date sightings? I don't think so. At time of posting (Sunday evening) the most recent daily update (sic) is 15/7, four days out of touch, including a weekend and monthly bird reviews not done since March!
Try any of the proper bird information services if you want recent news.
Dave

Yet another dig at the website Dave, yet you are obviously still using it. People are quite free to use other information services, i never claimed to be an information service, and most of the reports on Cornwall Birding are kindly supplied by RBA. (a service you pay for, Cornwall birding is free). The week of the 15th was when i was on night shifts and not really anything of interest worth reporting other than the seawatching. Apart from full time shift work i also have a young family, including a new baby so sometimes the website has to play second fiddle. The majority of my birding friends and other website users know and appreciate that i do Cornwall Birding as a bit of a hobby. I do not get paid for it and update it when i can. Why don't you start a website yourself if you think you can do any better? You seem to have plenty of time on your hands to keep having a snipe at Cornwall Birding. It may come as somewhat of a surprise to you to find you are actually in a very, very small minority of birders that do not enjoy the website. You only have to look back through here to see that you are the only one who has ever said anything negative about it (apart from Paul Penzance, who soon jumped back off the bandwagon!). The other 300-600 users that log in each day seem fairly happy with it, so what is your problem? I havent got a clue what you mean by me running away with my tail between my legs!?? From you!? I dont think so! I'm reliably informed that you don't know the difference between Hen and Monty's Harrier! So you are hardly equipped to question my bird ID.

Birding is my hobby Dave, its something i do once or twice a fortnight at the moment! You are not a professional birdwatcher or Ornithologist and therefore; You do not have the qualifications or experience to prove me an inept birder; you do not have the experience (or the proven website) to call me an incompetent editor and you do not know me well enough or have the personality to call me morally bankrupt.

I don't see why you feel the need to TRY and publically ridicule me. It is obviously not working as no one else is interested in what you have to say! I have received numerous e-mails from BF members and others via Cornwall Birding website asking what your problem is? And why you keep digging out the website? (And other quotes that i wont be publishing here as i am not in the habit of publically ridiculing anyone!) Do yourself (and me) a favour and stop harping on about the Website, I really dont give a flying F*** what you think about me personally, but the website is un-deniably successfull and lots of people enjoy it and appreciate the work i put in to it. As I said before, if you think you can do better, then please go ahead. And by all means go through this post and point out the spelling mistakes if you feel that anal!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back