• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Merry xmas and a Happy new year to all the contributers to this thread.
Hope you have a great new year and please keep posting sightings on the thread.
Ash

Last edited:
porth reservoir

Hello Birders,

Had a visit to Porth Reservoir today, i didnt even know it was there - just outside of Newquay. it was a pleasant surprise too. Plenty of robins, long tailed tits along with coots drakes & mallards and buzzard. The signs say to look out for much more of course not least kingfisher, reed bunting reed warbler & otter and badger!

s i'm in Newquay over the Christmas i think i will be making a return visit - its so peaceful there.

here are 2 pictures of the visit

Seasons Greetings

Pat

Robin_0251-640x480.jpg l-t-tit_0129-640x480.jpg

Pictures have been resized/sampled to suit the restrictions. Taken with Olympus e520, ED-70-300mm

Last edited:
Hello Birders,

Had a visit to Porth Reservoir today, i didnt even know it was there - just outside of Newquay. it was a pleasant surprise too. Plenty of robins, long tailed tits along with coots drakes & mallards and buzzard. The signs say to look out for much more of course not least kingfisher, reed bunting reed warbler & otter and badger!

s i'm in Newquay over the Christmas i think i will be making a return visit - its so peaceful there.

here are 2 pictures of the visit

Seasons Greetings

Pat

View attachment 234303 View attachment 234302

Pictures have been resized/sampled to suit the restrictions. Taken with Olympus e520, ED-70-300mm

Nice shots, the robin is great. I've never been to Porth res. either, somewhere for the new year.
Happy xmas

porth reservoir

Hope like me, your pleasantly surprised, i took the road towards Colan off the layby down from the cemetry, buzzards were along that road but it is narrow. Once there, you can follow along the waters edge, but this is where the fishing pegs are so be aware in case, just above them is the wildlife trail where 2 hides await you one at the begining and one at the end of the walk, I didn't try the other side of the reservoir as yet but it looks 'ansome..

heres another, i did crop this

PD_20091224_123100_0144crop640.jpg

Pat

Last edited:
Ring-necked Duck, Porth Reservoir, Newquay

I went over to Porth Reservoir at lunchtime today and the drake Ring-necked Duck flew in by itself from the west at 2pm. No sign of the Goosander reported yesterday.

Cheers

Tim

I went over to Porth Reservoir at lunchtime today and the drake Ring-necked Duck flew in by itself from the west at 2pm. No sign of the Goosander reported yesterday.

Cheers

Tim[/QUOTE

Male Ring-necked Duck still this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_9722.JPG
    IMG_9722.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 58
Ash

Parking is at the western end and then follow the path eastwards on the southern side through the woodland then follow sign to fishermens pitches (or whatever they are called) which takes you down to the edge of the reservoir and gives good views all the way to the eastern end. The bird did not appear to be present when I arrived about 1.15pm today but flew in at 2pm by itself when Colin got his photos. If it is there it shouldn't be too hard to find - there are only a pair of Tufted Duck, 4 Common Teal and quite a few Mallard so no big rafts of ducks to pick through! Good luck. I can PM you road directions from the A30 if you let me know.

Cheers

Tim

Richards pipit was at Crows-an-wra at about 11:15 and also a male hen harrier flew over. The pipit was quite elusive as I saw it for about 20 secs and then couldn't relocate it after I was distracted by the hen harrier.
I might try for the RN Duck if the weather improves.
Happy new year

Pale-Bellied Brent Goose at Carnsew this morning + 1 Med Gull.
Possible Black Redstart at PZ Jubilee Pool, I only had brief views but I'm 90% sure. Goosander again at Drift. No sign of GN Diver at Newlyn.
Happy New Year.

Record Shot of PB Brent Goose
JX9M2324.jpg

There was a drake Goosander at Argyll Reservoir (nr Falmouth) today also. (And I won't be attaching the record shot I took lol ;) )

Happy New Year, good birding all.

St Gothian Sands LNR Friday 1 January

Black Redstart this morning on fence between road and main pool. 3 female Shoveler, female Eurasian Wigeon and adult winter Meditteranean Gull on main pool.

Great Northern Diver in St Ives Bay from embankment plus 7 Common Scoter (all female/imm) presumably remaining birds from the flock of 16 that has been hanging around off Godrevy since the end of November? Also a large feeding flock of gulls and auks and a probable Balearic Shearwater but too distant to id.

Also adult winter Meditteranean Gull over Angarrack this afternoon.

Cheers

Tim

Also forgot to mention c.400 Golden Plover at Trewey Common this evening but no Hen Harrier or Short Eared Owl. I was going to try Men-An-Tol but the light was going, only to find 2 Hen Harriers were reported on RBA :-C

Richard's Pipit again today until 2:30 when it flew into opposite field (across road, with the long grass) and we couldn't re-locate it.
Also c100 Golden Plover in field between Crows-An-Wra and Lands end airfield and 6 Chough over Nanquidno.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back