• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

A very rare bird in Cornwall I think (two records in the '06 Bird Report), both in the east of the county. I never thought I'd hear myself saying it, but I'm almost tempted to twitch that tomorrow (only from Penryn I hasten to add).

Wigeon numbers were back up at College today, the usual stuff still around on both reservoirs, but of possible interest was an Egyptian Goose which flew in to the western end. At least as wary as the Wigeon etc present (ie quite wary). Haven't a clue on this species' status in the county ... presumably a 'wild' bird from the naturalised population in the east??

Water Pipit still/back at Perprean - reckon you owe we a pint for that lifer Jacana;-)

Not long been down here myself, but I think there's not much difference betwen the two in whether or not they come into gardens in general terms, although there certainly seems to be more Redwing about (a lot more to be honest). I've seen the odd Fieldfare feeding in gardens in Falmouth the last few weeks.

Good luck with them.

Neither are very common in gardens usually. In fact we dont get that many annually of either species compared to the rest of the country. They've just been pushed into gardens due to the bad weather. Seem to have moved on now though. Hoping for a recovery from the four i ringed!

Last edited:
A very rare bird in Cornwall I think (two records in the '06 Bird Report), both in the east of the county. I never thought I'd hear myself saying it, but I'm almost tempted to twitch that tomorrow (only from Penryn I hasten to add).

Water Pipit still/back at Perprean - reckon you owe we a pint for that lifer Jacana;-)

haha! not half!

Carrick Roads trip

Anyone interested in an organised birding trip on the Carrick Roads, Famouth to see the wintering divers grebes and sea-duck in Feb/early March ?. Preliminary equiry indicates price of £36 for two hours in RIB with toilet. Contact Roy Phillips. 01736 351793

Last edited:
"Ash1456" glad you like the Cattle Egret pictures - they were taken by myself along with the Purple Sandpiper picture. I've also sent them a Little Egret picture which I quite like.

I was hiding behind the hedge at Brew Farm when a single cow wandered over towards me followed by a Cattle Egret so I was fortunate as the other was further away and didn't come close. Oh and the sun was out & in the right place as well.

I'm no Bob Sharples but reasonably pleased with some of my recent efforts.

Thanks for the comments.

"Ash1456" glad you like the Cattle Egret pictures - they were taken by myself along with the Purple Sandpiper picture. I've also sent them a Little Egret picture which I quite like.

I was hiding behind the hedge at Brew Farm when a single cow wandered over towards me followed by a Cattle Egret so I was fortunate as the other was further away and didn't come close. Oh and the sun was out & in the right place as well.

I'm no Bob Sharples but reasonably pleased with some of my recent efforts.

Thanks for the comments.
Yeah they are some nice images, I couldn't even find the field with them in:-O

A very rare bird in Cornwall I think (two records in the '06 Bird Report), both in the east of the county. I never thought I'd hear myself saying it, but I'm almost tempted to twitch that tomorrow (only from Penryn I hasten to add...

Not only Beautiful, BUT Rare as well?? ;) What a bird ... Don't know if you went for it, couldn't tell if it was there in the gloom this evening.

Nothing out of the ordinary at Pendennis this afternoon (2 GNDs, ad and 2nd w Med Gulls), but there was a Bittern at the north end of Swanpool ... just how many there are in the county at the moment ?? ...

Not only Beautiful, BUT Rare as well?? ;) What a bird ... Don't know if you went for it, couldn't tell if it was there in the gloom this evening.

Nothing out of the ordinary at Pendennis this afternoon (2 GNDs, ad and 2nd w Med Gulls), but there was a Bittern at the north end of Swanpool ... just how many there are in the county at the moment ?? ...

Never did twitch the gypo. Four Bitterns at Loe Pool on the WeBS count.

On a seperate note - male Blackcap in my garden in Penryn today (has been there for a couple of weeks or so). Also, apparently the Ring Ouzel was still at Church Cove today (per Tony Blunden) looking less bedraggled, which bodes well.

QUOTE]

A total of only 28 have graced the county with their presence although some of these were very long stayers.

QUOTE]

A total of only 28 have graced the county with their presence although some of these were very long stayers.

Including the Millbrook bird which is still outside the Doctors surgery. I think it's been there for about four years now, and before that there was Milly the Scaup who lasted 12 years. Must be something in the water!!

not much to be seen on College today apart from common stuff. No sign of the Egyptian Goose. Large numbers of wigeon, pochard and bullfinch though

Nice to hear the reports from College and Argal, DtM and Jacana. As my local patch for three years whilst at Tremough it was a great place I usually enjoyed all to myself. College Reservoir in particular is one of those places which rewards regular watching to find the rarities but has enough interest at all other times in terms of a few specialities (Marsh Tit etc) and quantity (gulls and ducks in winter) to make all visits interesting in some way.

We'll try and look after it for you Henerz .... ;)

Was down there for an hour myself this afternoon (4.30 -5.30), looks like the goose has definitely gone. (Two female Goldeneye still present.)

Did a bit of a local circuit, seemed quite quiet, although 1 Whimbrel off Pendennis (Castle Beach?) again and 2 Slav Grebes off St Anthony Head on the other side.

Had Oystercatchers feeding in the playing field of Falmouth school the other night. Luckily the lights were on red affording me longer viewing

Is this a regular occurence Dan?

Had Oystercatchers feeding in the playing field of Falmouth school the other night. Luckily the lights were on red affording me longer viewing

Is this a regular occurence Dan?

Well, as a 'local' I think I can actually answer that one .... :-O (Just around the corner from me).

Yep, I think so. Seen them now and then in the daytime at least. Very nice. Up to twenty or so I think, 100+ Curlew on occasion too... no rare gulls yet though ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back