• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks in freezing weather? (1 Viewer)

birdmeister

United States
Hi all, Where I live in Pennsylvania, bodies of water are frozen, and the temps are below freezing.I was wondering if I could still see ducks. Thanks, Paul H.

Hi all, Where I live in Pennsylvania, bodies of water are frozen, and the temps are below freezing.I was wondering if I could still see ducks. Thanks, Paul H.

Only if there's open water somewhere. Without it, ducks and other waterfowl move on or perish.

Yep like above, when lakes freeze they will move to rivers ect...That's why when the weather is really harsh a causal walk along your local river can produce a few stunning and maybe rare or scare birds. My local river has had a few scare birds recently which is Fab.!

Here in Winnipeg were it was -25'c all week,I can find them in a creek that stays open all winter.A local birder feeds them throughout the winter.Here a photo,taken a few weeks back.Counted 73 mallards that day.

Attachments

• rsz_twitch_005.jpg
    rsz_twitch_005.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 50
Here they first move from ponds to lakes and then to the big rivers. We saw about ten species of ducks at the mouth of river Sava into Danube (including a flock of Velvet Scoter, which were very snobbish, not mingling with anyone else).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back