• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which macro lens - Nikon (1 Viewer)

rezMole

United Kingdom
I Fancy doing a bit of macro work (something I've never really dabbled with) - a few insects plants etc. Apart from a Sigma 500 f4.5 and a Tamron 28-300 zoom which i use for everyday snaps, i don't have any other lenses.

I'm looking at one of the following:

Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (a tad over £400)
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro (a tad under £300)
Nikon 105mm f2.8 G AF-S VR IF ED Micro (a tad ovar £450)

Opinons onthese or any other sugestions in the same price range would be appreciated. I use a Nikon D300. Cheers.

Have you tried yoor Tamron 28-300. That is what I use. Not a true macro lens but I have taken some decent Dragonflies with it on a D70S - the pics on my blog are not the best BTW !

I too am considering a 105mm but have been told that it does not have enough reach. Can't wait to try the 300mm with an extender !

Will pop back tonight when less busy and post one either here or on my blog.

Lindsay

i dont know why the lens has gone up that much, i bought mine about five years ago ,£450 i paid then, from the cardiff camera center...mark.

For what it`s worth below are a few of my shots taken with the Nikon 105mm on a D300
with a TC1.4

Attachments

• em-Club-tailed male lat 01-06-08.jpg
    em-Club-tailed male lat 01-06-08.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 133
  • em-DSC_4346.jpg
    em-DSC_4346.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 130
  • em-Hairy Dragonfly b 18-05-08.jpg
    em-Hairy Dragonfly b 18-05-08.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 122
Rezmole, you could try a cheaper option by using extension tubes on a prime lens, a set of Kenko tube (which retain metering) and a Nikon 85/1.8 would give a number of options and shopping around may be your cheapest option esp if you pick up a used lens. The benefit here is that as you add more lenses the tubes will work on them, so your 28-300 would benefit (albeit a tad slow). I use my 300/4 with tubes and find it an excellent combination.
Worth a thought or further discussion

Sigma 150mm, good working distance, light, cheap & excellent results. Strap on a Sigma 1.4x tc & get a 210mm f4! I have also used mine as a short telephoto for photographing badgers at night where the f2.8 really helps with auto-focussing.

Sigma 150mm, good working distance, light, cheap & excellent results. Strap on a Sigma 1.4x tc & get a 210mm f4! I have also used mine as a short telephoto for photographing badgers at night where the f2.8 really helps with auto-focussing.

That's what I was thinking - I'd probably put this lens to good use as well as as a macro. Of course it wouldn't be with a Sigma converter - I have a kenko - I bought yours a while ago!

The Sigma 150 seems to get great reviews.

IMHO the Kenko TC will not work flawless with this lens. My wife uses this lens a lot but it was doing all kind of weird things with my Kenko TC.
I had to buy the Sigma TC for flawless operation.
I use the 105VR and the old 70-180 Nikkor for macro.

No personal experience with any of the listed lenses but I have read good things about the Sigma 150mm and seen great posted photos from that lens on Nikon bodies.

Might be worth trying a set of extension tubes with the Tamron zoom before buying a new lens. I recently bought a set of reasonable quality metal "made for Nikon" tubes for £4.00 off fleabay :t:. Unlike TC's with the tubes there's no need to be concerned about optical quality, autofocus or autoexposure. So far I've only tried them on the 50mm f1.8 but as a newbie to macro I'm surprised how easy they are to set up and use. (once I'd remembered to unlock the aperture ring and use manual exposure :eek!:) Hopefully next year Nikon will finally give us the long awaited VR enabled 300mm f4. Extension tubes on this lens should be interesting.

I vote for the Sigma 150mm as well. Plenty of pics on my website - just look here for shots taken with that lens. I also did some experiments with different combinations of Sigma 150, a 1.4x TC and extension tubes and have put a table listing magnifications and other data on this page.

Macro is great fun and I can't wait until the creepy crawlies start emerging again.

Well done Rob ! I fully agree upon the Sigma 150 but one remark: it only works with Sigma TC's, not with Nikon (right as you said) and also not with Kenko nor Soligor. If you don't do insects, go for a 60 or 100 mm equivalent as it is cheaper.

I fully agree upon the Sigma 150 but one remark: it only works with Sigma TC's, not with Nikon (right as you said) and also not with Kenko nor Soligor.
Just to be clear about my previous remarks, they are based on using this lens with a Canon and not a Nikon so I don't have experience of this problem.

For image quality I cannot recommend the Nikon f2.8 105VR highly enough. It is an award winning lens. It really is the lens of choice for macros. I cannot imagine holding a bigger lens for macros, especially up close. The slightest movement will show on the resulting image. A solid tripod and or flash or an extremely steady hold would be needed. For longer distance shots of wary dragonflies then a longer lens is useful. Most butterflies and most of our dragonflies are easily approached with a smaller lens for in many cases extreme closeups. Then there could be DOF problems with a longer lens.

I just received a new Nikon 60mm F2.8 macro lens this morning which has a much closer minimum focusing distance than the 105mm. I can't wait to put it to use as and when some insects come out of hiding around here. It is also much lighter than the 105mm, which when carried all day is very heavy.

Another advantage of the Nikon lenses is the Nikon CLS, creative lighting system, especially the macro lighting system which I use. More expense though, macro photography is another expensive hobby.

Regards

Adi

Last edited:
90 mm Tamron!

the 90 mm Tamron is a renown lens and deservedly. Superb lens for your money.
I've used it for quite some time and the results were always very satisfying.
Also a great portrait lens and very usable for small landscapes.
One of the best 3rd party lenses.
For some months now i am using a 200 f4 micro nikkor and i must say that
this Nikkor is something else, but considering the price difference the Tamron still holds its ground.

Attachments

• zebraspin op roest1.jpg
    zebraspin op roest1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Dsc_2614.jpg
    Dsc_2614.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back