• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there any other Life Fellows of the RSPB on Bird Forum (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I was left a substantial amount of Money by my Father when he died 12 years ago and two years ago I joined the RSPB as a Life Fellow. Are there any other Bird Forum members who are Life Fellows of the RSPB!
Ian.

No, how much was it?

Cheers George

If I'm correct it was over £1000.00 possibly a little more. But I thought it was a good cause and as I was left a substantial amount of money by my Father I could afford it and I used to be an annual RSPB member in the 1970s but I found myself not so well off and I had a chance to support a worthwhile cause and its even given me a greater interest In Birds and other wildlife.
Ian.

I'm in a real moral pickle with charitable donations... Currently leaning (with a heavy heart and immense pragmatism) towards no donation EVER towards any specific human/wildlife. For me the only option is rain forests and ocean conservation charities. My view is that if we don't then far more humans will die in the long run...

In any event, you have thought this through and committed a great deal of cash, so congratulations!

Last edited:
I'm in a real moral pickle with charitable donations... Currently leaning (with a heavy heart and immense pragmatism) towards no donation EVER towards any specific human/wildlife. For me the only option is rain forests and ocean conservation charities. My view is that if we don't then far more humans will die in the long run...

In any event, you have thought this through and committed a great deal of cash, so congratulations!

I certainly agree with not contributing to human charities, but why not wildlife ones? All wildlife certainly needs help in this human-centric and human greed world. And what price saving any part ofteh rainforest if our own land becomes a poisoned desert?

All UK birders should be RSPB members first and contribute to their favourite foreign conservation areas second.

John

I certainly agree with not contributing to human charities ...

All UK birders should be RSPB members first and contribute to their favourite foreign conservation areas second.

John

Well done, Ian, for supporting the RSPB so generously. It's now £1200 to become a fellow - not cheap, but considering how many of us hang optics of a similar value round our necks perhaps more of us should follow Ian's splendid example.

I broadly agree with John's final point, but not the first. Surely, though, even an old curmudgeon (;)) like him would support this one - http://www.populationmatters.org/

All UK birders should be RSPB members first...
Such sentiments are often expressed within the birding community. But I don't accept that we should necessarily give the highest priority to a charity directly related to our pastime. It's an individual choice, and personally I consider the RSPB to be a long way down a list of the most deserving causes in today's world.

I certainly agree with not contributing to human charities, but why not wildlife ones? All wildlife certainly needs help in this human-centric and human greed world. And what price saving any part ofteh rainforest if our own land becomes a poisoned desert?

John

Hi John,

Well I guess I believe that if we don"t save the rain forests and the oceans then, ultimately, all wildlife will die. So there are only two options for charitable giving - world saving (in effect both humans and wildlife), or specific regional saving.

I would rather the UK was a poisoned desert but there were still wild and ecologically rich/pure parts of the world, than the whole world die out. In making that statement I completely understand that if you don't agree that rainforest (I should clarify, I probably mean trees) and oceans are fragile lynchpins as such, then the options above are a load of rubbish:smoke:! Related, I also believe the world is currently vulnerable and that we may be closer to triggering unstoppable chain events (you may have seen the shark fin thread) than many might think.

As far as which charities people choose I'm a believer that no one should give to any particular cause or charity - their money, their choice...

Half two - call me an extremist but I reckon there's room for a little more than 1% of current population and still reach acceptable levels of human/rest of life harmony;)

Cheers George

Last edited:
I'm a Life fellow, we have to do everything possible for this planet as we are all subconsciously doing our best to f**k it up. It's the only one we've got and we seem hell bent on destroying it.:C

I wouldn't donate my money to an organisation with Royal as a prefix. I used to be a member, and I will again when they drop any links to the monarchy.

Without the royal charter the RSPB might well do an even better job for wildlife as there are some issues that they cannot fully address at present!

Tony

I wouldn't donate my money to an organisation with Royal as a prefix. I used to be a member, and I will again when they drop any links to the monarchy.

Presumably if you became seriously ill in Dublin in the Republic of Ireland, you would decline treatment on principle from the Royal College of Surgeons?:-O
MJB

Presumably if you became seriously ill in Dublin in the Republic of Ireland, you would decline treatment on principle from the Royal College of Surgeons?:-O
MJB

As I said earlier I'm a rebublican, but I'm a Life Fellow of the RSPB as they do a fantastic job protecting Birds and other forms of wildlife and I certainly wouldn't decline treatment from a hospital with the word Royal in it, not even for non urgent treatment.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back