• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Moor (Following in the Footsteps of ron!) (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
As a trip to B&Q was necessitated, me and my good lady paid a swiftish visit to Old Moor on the way, to see if we could catch sight of ron's Jack Snipe that he mentioned yesterday.

It's been a while since I've been to Old Moor, and I had forgotten what a good place it is. Hard paths, big hides, play area for the kiddies and plenty of variety - it's certainly worth a look. Without wanting to sound like I am criticising the previous custodians, the arrival of the RSPB seems to have just given it a little extra oomph as well - or maybe it's the time of year.

Anyway, we only took a look at the feeding station, the Mere Hide and the Wader Scrape Hide (and about a minute in the Field Pool (?) Hide), and had quite a profitable time.

We were helped immensely by a couple of locals.

One gentleman in the Mere Hide gave us the opportunity of a few looks through his 'scope, and pointed us in the direction of a few of the birds. In return, we were able to locate the Bar-tailed Godwit, although without the aid of said 'scope, we wouldn't have been able to id it!

In the Wader Scrape, finding wasn't the problem, it was iding. But again, a more talented birder than either of us came to the rescue. Not long after our arrival in the hide, a tern arrived, shortly followed by two more. We had enough about to spot the black bill tip, and guess that it was Common, but we were still grateful to have this independently confirmed - and our "aid" had the good grace not to hit us with a big stick whilst we were scrabbling through the book, but just let us know the bill tip was diagnostic! He also helped us id the Dunlin as well - which again was challenging our abilities.

Anyway, we didn't get the Jack Snipe, unfortunately, but we still came away with a list of 41 birds. Not quite up to the standard of ron, who hit 50, but we did get 8 that ron missed out on, so if anyone has some time to dedicate to Old Moor, it looks like you could be well rewarded.

Our list follows...

Bar-Tailed Godwit
Black Headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Canada Goose
Chaffinch
Common Tern
Coot
Cormorant
Dunlin
Gadwall
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
Jackdaw
Kestrel
Lapwing
Linnet
Little Ringed Plover
Mallard
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Oystercatcher
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
Redshank
Reed Bunting
Ringed Plover
Robin
Ruddy Duck
Sparrowhawk
Starling
Stock Dove
Swallow
Swift
Tree Sparrow
Tufted Duck
Woodpigeon
Yellowhammer

Hey birdman, I nearly had a trip there myself today, but the decorating (yes, we're still at it!) took longer than planned.

I think it's a lovely little reserve. I hope the RSPB extend the walks a bit. Funnily, when we went last week there were a couple of women in one hide who commented that when the RSPB move in anywhere the birds move out! One of them was moaning that they had taken some shrubs out and spoiled the habitat. I said that they must have had a reason for doing it. Well, their other reserves appear to be doing OK!

Great list of birds you saw. In the large tree over at the back of the feeding garden there's usually a Little Owl sat there. He was there last week, but you have to look carefully. I just couldn't get the correct angle for a photo without some part being hidden by branches.

No Jack Snipe, but there were a few Snipe. We saw a Ringed Plover (pic in Gallery).

I shall be there next Sunday for part of the GGBC. The morning is Potteric Carr.

Two lifers there for me and you so casually put them in a list, Grrr!

Forty one is not bad for a 'popping in' visit on the way to B&Q!!

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Good look for GGBC digi-birder - hope you get a good return.

Andrew, which are your lifers? I'm gonna guess the Godwit, and one of the ringed plovers.

Beverlybaynes, of course any of your lists would be jam packed full of lifers for me. As for B&Q, it's a chain of DIY stores here in the UK which, if you'll excuse the slight "American" dig, they insist on calling "Depots", but pronouncing "Deepos". (Although I'm sure what grounds I have for moaning about American pronunciation rather than English, when the word is, of course, French!)

How dare you insult a Devonian, we get masses of Godwits! Grrr!

Mine would be the Little Ringed Plover (You got that right) and the Tree Sparrow (there are absolutely none in Devon!).

B&Q is a large do-it-yourself store that sells everything from screws to the kitchen sink Beverly we brits just couldn't manage without them.

Geoff :t:

Last edited:
Hi again Andrew...

Well if you can make it to the North Bash, we can just about guarantee Tree Sparrows!

I really wanted to do the North Bash but funds and other commitments rule this out. I could easily have (and intended to)gone to a friend's in Sheffy and made my way to Doncaster for the day! I will most likely be going up that way in the Autumn.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back