• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (1 Viewer)

Thursday, 13th May

Hebei, Happy Island

I planned to leave the island at 9.30am, and get back to Beidaihe by 2pm to catch the train to Beijing, so I was determined to make the most of the little time that remained.

I made an even earlier start than yesterday - out at 4am and, following a brisk 30 minute walk, I was in the Temple Woods - the scene of most of yesterday's action.

Even in the half-light it was clear that there were still lots of birds there. There were several Siberian Blue Robins, including the first female of the year ("only" males yesterday... c20 of them!), c30 Eye-browed Thrushes, a White's Thrush and a flighty (aren't they all) Siberian Thrush - a female.

Yesterday I had struggled to get any kind of shot of Daurian Starling, so I was pleased to find one perched on the top of a bush. The only problem was it was about 5am and what little light there was, was directly behind it. Any adjustment more than 2 stops is destined to fail, so I put the camera down and picked the binoculars up instead.

On to West Wood, where I had found a tame Claudia's Warbler yesterday. On the way there, I saw the first of two Chinese Song Thrushes I would see that morning. I also accidently flushed an Indian Nightjar (failing to get my camera on it as it flew off).

The West Woods held several male Siberian Rubythroats (new in today), 3 Yellow-browed Buntings and a White's Thrush.

I then saw something just above the skyline flying towards me. My first thoughts were "Woodcock". I easily managed to put my lens on it as the bird flew level and straight for more than 200 yards - not very Woodcock like with the benefit of hindsight. Through the viewfinder, though, the heaviness of the bird did nothing to persuade me that it wasn't a Woodcock. Funnily enough I don't carry my reading glasses with me when I'm birding, so it was difficult to see any detail when reviewing the images.

After looking at the shots on the computer later that day, I felt sure that the bird was, in fact, a Swinhoe's Snipe (336) As well as its heavy build and "barrel-chestedness" (vis a vis Pin-tailed), and its straight flight, it was also flying low over an extensive area of dry grassland. I won't mention the plumage differences that I think support the identification (as per Brazil) because I am aware that the general consensus is that Swinhoe's is impossible to identify on plumage characteristics alone.

Interestingly, my only other claimed Swinhoe's was 8 years ago to the day, in exactly the same place on Happy Island!

Shortly after this encounter, a friend who was also birding the woods told me that his group had just found an Asian Stubtail. Although tempted (I haven't seen this species in more than three years), I decided to stick to my self-found mantra and ignored the bird.

But I couldn't ignore what I saw fly out of the bushes as I was talking to the group of birders... a small owl. Then another. And another. And yet another. There were owls seemingly everywhere (one person said there were "8", another "10". I'll stick to "several"). But several of what? Collared Scops Owl, although rare, is theoretically possible (although a flock of them would be unprecedented). They were of course Oriental Scops Owls (337). I don't use the word amazing very often, but I can't think of any other word to describe the experience of seeing several Oriental Scops flying around an area only slightly bigger than a postage stamp.

As I was walking to the boat, the sight of a starling flying into a bush just in front of me, stopped me in my tracks. After a few minutes, two Daurian Starlings (338) hopped in to view. The sun, which had been shining brightly for the past two days, bathed them in beautiful light. Amazing!

BTW Little Tern (339)

Last edited:
13th May photos

1st of 2 sets:

Attachments

• Siberian Rubythroat...jpg
    Siberian Rubythroat...jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Siberian Rubythroat....jpg
    Siberian Rubythroat....jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Swinhoe's Snipe.jpg
    Swinhoe's Snipe.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Swinhoe's Snipe....jpg
    Swinhoe's Snipe....jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Swinhoe's Snipe......jpg
    Swinhoe's Snipe......jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
13th May photos

2nd of 2 sets:

Attachments

• Oriental Scops Owl...jpg
    Oriental Scops Owl...jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Oriental Scops Owl....jpg
    Oriental Scops Owl....jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Oriental Scops Owl.....jpg
    Oriental Scops Owl.....jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Daurian Starling.jpg
    Daurian Starling.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Daurian Starling....jpg
    Daurian Starling....jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Thanks Mark!

Here are another two shots of a male Mugimaki. Funnily enough, my first shot here (which didn't make it through on my first sweep) is actually my favourite among the 4 Mugi shots.

Attachments

• Mugi1.jpg
    Mugi1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Mugi2.jpg
    Mugi2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
And, to round off the Happy Island section, here are a few more photos...

Set 1 of 3

Attachments

• Arctic Warbler.jpg
    Arctic Warbler.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Chinese Penduline Tit.jpg
    Chinese Penduline Tit.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Daurian Starling.jpg
    Daurian Starling.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Dusky Thrush.jpg
    Dusky Thrush.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 78
...and a few more photos...

Set 2 of 3

Attachments

• Eastern Crowned Warbler.jpg
    Eastern Crowned Warbler.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Eye-browed Thrush.jpg
    Eye-browed Thrush.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Great Knot.jpg
    Great Knot.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Grey-streaked Flycatcher.jpg
    Grey-streaked Flycatcher.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
And finally...

Set 3 of 3

Attachments

• Japanese Grosbeak.jpg
    Japanese Grosbeak.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Oriental Scops Owl.jpg
    Oriental Scops Owl.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Spotted Redshank.jpg
    Spotted Redshank.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 82
  • White's Thrush.jpg
    White's Thrush.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Monday, 17th May

Beijing, Wenyu River

The "acros" have arrived... At least three Black-browed Reed Warblers in the reedbeds, as well as an Oriental Reed Warbler. Nothing showing well enough for a photo though.

After the Lord Mayor's show...

Thanks for the word on the acros (if I ever get out of doors again!)

Love the eyebrow thrush and the one-eyed owl. (Need to study the warblers more...) So many nice birds....

Hi Shi Jin

Some really amazing pics as usual, well done! I just love those owls, one of my favourite bird groups!

I'll go with option A, pics posted on this thread, nice and convenient. I think you're safe on category C at the moment:)

Andrew

A for me as well, but i didnt mind too much the way you did it earlier on either.

Cycling to Tibet? You must have been listening to Larry and Nicky a bit too much when they dropped by.

Cheers,

Thanks Mark, Gretchen, Andrew and GDK

Delighted that you are enjoying the pics.

Alas, I'm in an office in Shanghai at the moment with no chance of adding to the collection...

The good news is that I'll be flying back to Beijing tomorrow morning... and plan to drive out for a few days birding over the weekend...

So, watch this space.

Saturday, 22nd May

Hebei, Beidaihe area

Back again to Beidaihe... my 4th visit this Spring.

I arrived at the Magic Wood, Nandaihe at 5.30am with high expectations. In previous years around about this date, I've photographed Asian Paradise Flycatcher, Brown Hawk Owk, Von Schrenck's Bittern, Indian Nightjar, Elisa's Flycatcher, Northerm Hawk Cuckoo, Pere David's Bush Warbler and many more star birds here (the Yellow-legged Button-Quail slipped away alas). So what would this morning bring...

Nothing mega, but some excellent birds nevertheless (and very good light, except for the Moorhen 340, which was photographed flying towards the rising sun):

More than a dozen Black-browed Reed Warblers (341) brought the apron of the woods to life; perhaps up to half-a-dozen Thick-billed Warblers (342) played and won several games of hide and seek (is this the wariest warbler in the world I wonder); a Pale-legged Leaf Warbler (343) was also playing hard to get, but gave up in the end I'm pleased to report; a late Arctic Warbler also showed itself. And the Siberian Flycatchers (344) - always the last flycatcher to grace these woods - had, at last, arrived.

So, all in all, a fine start to the day.

On to the Dai Orchard, where a long wait next to the wood-pile for the songster with the fine warbling voice to show itself was rewarded with close-up photos of a bird I see and hear all too rarely: a Manchurian Reed Warbler (345).

Lotus Hills didn't disappoint. It usually throws up a few surprises in between the 22 and 25th May (in previous years I've found Fujian Niltava, Chinese Song Thrush, Japanese Waxwing, and Beidaihe's first Orange-headed Ground Thrush here at this time). The Ground Thrush is particularly noteworthy in being (most probably) the world's most northerly record of this species. It was a bit of a slog though, but eventually I landed two prizes: A very tired-looking Swinhoe's Robin (347) and a very flighty Brown Hawk Owl which, despite my best efforts, eluded my lens. There was also a flock of Chesnut-sided White-eyes (346) here and several Black-naped Orioles (348).

The Friendship Hotel gardens are great for a number of reasons. Wonderful birds (thrush-types are its speciality) and the best children's play area in Beidaihe (6 year-olds aren't that keen on birding strangely enough).

So a couple of happy campers: I found no fewer than three Swinhoe's Robins and my youngest daughter also had a great time.

I had to get back home for a 4pm conference call, but managed to add Crested Myna (349) on the way back.

Photos will follow soon...

Last edited:
That play area in the friendship had a Siberian Bush Warbler on Friday and a Tiger Shrike by the tennis courts! ;)

Orange-headed Ground Thrush and Paradise Fly in the Magic Wood same day :smoke:

Black Bittern at the reservoir if you're still in the area with a couple of Von Shrenk's

Mark

Saturday, 22nd May

Hebei, Beidaihe area

Set 1 of 4

Attachments

• Moorhen.jpg
    Moorhen.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Black-browed Reed Warbler.jpg
    Black-browed Reed Warbler.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Black-browed Reed Warbler....jpg
    Black-browed Reed Warbler....jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Set 2 of 4

Attachments

• Pale-legged Leaf Warbler.jpg
    Pale-legged Leaf Warbler.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Siberian Flycatcher....jpg
    Siberian Flycatcher....jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Arctic Warbler.jpg
    Arctic Warbler.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Manchurian Reed Warbler.jpg
    Manchurian Reed Warbler.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Manchurian Reed Warbler....jpg
    Manchurian Reed Warbler....jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 72
Set 3 of 4

Attachments

• Swinhoe's Robin....jpg
    Swinhoe's Robin....jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Swinhoe's Robin.....jpg
    Swinhoe's Robin.....jpg
    148 KB · Views: 82
  • Black-naped Oriole.jpg
    Black-naped Oriole.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2nd Swinhoe's Robin...jpg
    2nd Swinhoe's Robin...jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2nd Swinhoe's Robin....jpg
    2nd Swinhoe's Robin....jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back