• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, San Antonio, Texas (1 Viewer)

ducbucln

A friend of mine asked if anyone could identify this hummer in her nest. I'm not sure and thought one of the forum members could help.

This is the best image he could get. It was found in the Audubon Refuge in San Antonio.

Attachments

• Nesting-Hummingbird-0866a.jpg
    Nesting-Hummingbird-0866a.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 61
It is not a clear enough picture for a safe ID. A side view of the head helps. Also a spread view of tail would help, but any clear pictures should be fine.

There are a few hummingbird species that can be ruled out but the remaining hummingbirds include the black-chinned and ruby-throated which are usually impossible at the best of times.

The male must be around, he would make the ID much easier?

From e-Bird it looks like both Ruby-throated and Black-chinned hummingbirds breed around San Antonio, with Black-chinned much more common. Since male hummingbirds do not have anything with to do with nesting, other than fertilizing the female, seeing males nearby would not tell you much about what species the female is.

Andy

Right...I misinterpreted my local nests then as I often saw a male(s) hover near the nests regularly and the female would react non-aggressively. Ah well, nesting behaviour is not something I know much about.

And yes it is between ruby-throated and black-chinned...it is too green for the other possible breeders I found for this area.

I doubt that it's certainly identifiable, as Ruby-throated and Black-chinned are known to hybridize in, at least, the Hill Country. Unfortunately, the bird's bill tip is not visible, but what I can see of the bill suggests, at least in a very minor fashion, that it's longer and a bit curved, which would suggest Black-chinned. But, I would not ID the bird without more and better pix. However, it is certainly an Archilochus by facial pattern, among other features.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back