• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big crow or raven? Notts UK (1 Viewer)

Deseo

I took this this afternoon and when I looked at it I noticed the size of the "crow" beside the Buzzard. What do you reckon? I'm thinking crow personally.

Attachments

• _MG_0548a.jpg
    _MG_0548a.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 246
  • _MG_0547a.jpg
    _MG_0547a.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 246
  • _MG_0561a.jpg
    _MG_0561a.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Does look much more Raven-like in pic #3; I went for Carrion originally as the tail looks rounded / square-cornered in pic #2.

Was it calling at all? I'd expect a Raven mobbing a Buzzard to be quite noisy about it, plenty of 'kronk' calls.

Type in "carrion crow attacking buzzard" and "raven attacking buzzard" into google images and there are plenty of informative comparison photographs. (At least the correctly identified ones).

cant see a diamond tail in any of the pics, bill in pic 2 looks weak not like a raven, in all pics bird is smaller than Buzzard and difficult to tell how close it is to buzzard, could be a big crow for me, though i'm often wrong!!

Looks like a Raven in all to me!

(An aside -did once see a Buzzard being mobbed by a Carrion Crow with no real discernible size difference between the two - a small Buzzard and large crow)

Looks too much like a Raven in every sense. I cannot see anything Carrion Crow in it. I have never seen a Raven with a proper Diamond shape tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back