• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

image previews (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Can anyone help, please?
I used to be able to click on a .jpg image file in the folder I was using and a small 'preview' image would appear in the left-hand margin. I've tried various image editing programmes as my default image programme since then but somewhere along the line I've stopped getting any preview. It's a pain as I now have to open the file to see what it is... and it can take quite a while to open. Does anyone know how to get the image previews working again. I don't particularly mind which programme oopens them but I tend to use Quicktime.
I'm using Windows 98SE on a 500MHz pc with 256MB RAM (primitive, I know, but there we are.)

Have you tried right clicking on the mouse instead of left clicking. I have 2 or 3 programmes which require a right click for a preview.

James

In Windows Explorer select the folder where you want to get the preview. In the menu choose "View" and then "As a Web folder". Then every time you select a graphic the small preview should appear.

I now have XP which as the option to display the entire contents of a folder as thumbnails. Very nice but I hate to think what it would be like on a slow machine.

robinm said:
I tried what I suggested on my son's pc which is Win 98 SE and it worked. What happened on your machine?

Hi, Robin.
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer.
I don't usually use Windows Explorer, I just open the folders in My Documents. But even when I did exactly as you suggested nothing happened.
Ken

Have you have tried selecting a folder then go to file, then properties and enabling thumbnail view. Not sure that it works on 'my documents' but sould on any folder in that (and anyother folder you have anywhere)
Andy

I had the self same problem about 6 weeks ago. jpg wouldn't preview but gif etc would. I couldn't remember what it was I did to cause it either. It might have been a software install that who knows. I've got it back just as mysteriously. It could have been due to another install or uninstall

Anyway here is a fix but take plenty of coffee first.
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,36585,00.asp

Thanks, Andy and Walwyn, nothing like a little Registry editing... I'll wait till I'm more awake. But it sounds as if I'm not the first to have this problem!

Surreybirder.

I've read the article and it should be OK.

The most important sentence in the entire article is undoubtedly "In Windows 9x, make copies of the User.dat and System.dat files in the Windows folder before you do anything else." I've known people mess with the registry without doing this and have ended up with an unusable PC.

Good luck

Thanks for the warning, RobinM
I certainly don't want to get into doing a clean reinstall of Windows (yet again!)--or is it even worse than that!?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back