• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puerto Rico & the bird on plate 13 (1 Viewer)

To sum up...

Thanks James, I appreciate it.

A few summary comments:
  • Staying in Utuado (or nearby) is fine, but is not as convenient as I had hoped to Maricao or the Guánica dry forest. Before the trip, I had entertained the idea that the central location would allow day trips to coastal sites, like La Parguera and Cabo Rojo; but this was entirely unrealistic, the roads just aren't fast enough for that. If it's true the Hacienda Juanita is gone for good, I suggest looking for somewhere near Cabo Rojo (the town, not the actual Cape) as a base.
  • It was a big mistake not to devote more time to the Guánica area - particularly, as we had no real lead on Yellow-shouldered Blackbird, and therefore severely underestimated the time needed to look for it. I have a feeling that this is a species you could see in five minutes - or spend a full day on, and still not "get".
  • For birds, "El Yunque" (the C.N.F.) is good from the south end, as I mentioned above, and not so much from the north. But, unless you are staying in this vicinity (San Juan or Fajardo) only, and not going to Maricao at all, it is not really necessary to visit it.
  • As we were really just there for the endemics, we didn't really pay a lot of attention to the migrants. If you are not native to eastern N.A., or a regular visitor to this part of the world, you would probably appreciate them a lot more - there were a few real gems among them! This is, of course, provided you go during the boreal winter. This is especially true of the wood-warblers - we saw just five species (aside from the endemics), but then, we weren't really trying.
Peter C.:flyaway:

Thanks for posting this Peter, whetted our apetite, and given us some up to date stuff to contemplate for our (hopefully) trip in May :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back