• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paphos area, Southern Cyprus 12-24th April 2014 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Just a brief update of things following my family holiday to Paphos.

This was my 4th visit in consecutive years, from 6 to 10/4/11 on a dedicated short trip I recorded 111 species though travelled from Cape Greco through to Paphos. From 31/3 - 3/4/12 around Paphos I recorded 78 species, and last year on a short break to Cape Greco from 7-10/4/13 I recorded 65 species.

This stay was obviously much longer, but was not dedicated birding, though my good wife allowed me at least half a day out each day. So no complaints.

Unfortunately the winter had been extremely dry, and therefore all the normal good wader & crake spots were bone dry, and passerines were not in good number either due to the relative lack of insect life attracted to standing water.

Just two hundred metres along the coast from our Capital Coast hotel at Paphos was a reedlined stream that did hold water surprisingly and there I found the only Moustached Warbler and Moorhen of the trip.

Every day I undertook a circular routine to various sites on either side of the B6 road just out of Paphos near to the airport. This report is only brief so I now highlight what was seen at each site. Other birders had the same idea and information was exchanged frequently.

AGIA VARVARA - this village is signposted off the B6, and when you drive into the village take the turning just past the church which leads down into the valley across a dry brook. Look for birds around here and on wires, and then turn right onto a rough track taking care of undercarriage damage. Keep to the right and check 3 adjacent pools, the 2 of the 3 were always bone dry and the 3rd dried out whilst we were there. Check the scrub just past the final pit which attracts passerines. Birds seen here over the 12 days included : a dozen Bee-eaters, 11 Turtle Doves, Cretzschmar's Bunting, 12 Ortolan Bunting, Icterine, Great Reed, and Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Whitethroat, Montagu's Harrier, Whinchats, 1 'Beema' Yellow Wagtail, Woodchat Shrike, and unseen by me Golden Oriole.

ANARITA PARK - this was probably the most popular spot, great for raptors with many of the birds lingering. Just past Agia Varvara village take the turn at the 2nd Loukaides Poultry Farm sign, and then immediately talke a rough track off to the left, following this track past the council wagon depot and check scrub by a few obvious boulders where a small stream had a little water left early in April. Birds seen here included: 3-4 Montagu's Harrier, 4 Marsh Harrier, 1 Hen Harrier, 1 Pallid Harrier, 1 Little Owl, 1 Icterine Warbler, 3-4 Great Spotted Cuckoos, 3-4 Rollers, 10 plus Lesser Kestrels (present most of the time), 20-plus Common kestrels, 20 plus Whinchats, 2-3 Woodchat Shrikes, 2 Cyprus Pied Wheatear, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 juv Collared Flycatcher, 2 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear, several Chukars. Magpies and Hooded Crows were everywhere.

ANARITA MAST - last time I came here this was a good area for harriers and by the perimeter fence many wheatears, larks etc. It was very quiet this time with no harriers seen, best birds being a Spectacled Warbler, Cyprus Warbler & a few Whinchats. I nearly ran over a large Whip snake.

ANARITA ARMY CAMP - by driving inland past Anarita village, an army camp with perimeter fence appears on the left. After the fencing ends, look out for a rock face to your left not far after, 3-4 Rollers, Red-rumped Swallows, Jackdaws favour this area. Eastern Olivaceous Warbler apparently breed in the reedlined stream opposite side of road.

NATA FORD - this is the next port of call, and there is a trickle of water there. Birds seen during a short visit included - 2 Little Stint, Wood Sandpiper, female Black Francolin, 3-4 Black-headed Wagtail.

ASPROKREMNOS DAM & COPPICE - Aspro Pools were bone dry so no crakes. Osprey was seen once, but no Bonelli's Eagles this time. The Coppice was also quiet, though late March early April is probably better for Wryneck, Ruppells etc that can be seen here. Birds seen here included Nightingale, Wood Warbler, 2 Tree Pipits, Cuckoo, Redstart, Buzzard, Roller. At the far end of the dam, I took a rough track down to the water's edge, that can be navigated with care, to enjoy good views of a few Red-throated Pipits.

LOWER XP (Xeros Potamas) POOLS - at the turning off the B6 for Asprokremnos Dam, on the seaward side of that bridge ( Limmassol side of bridge) is a rough track that after 100 metres runs under the A6 dual carriageway. The track is very rough thereafter, so turn immediately left under ther bridge and follow track until a tarmac track with speed humps goes right and follow that winding road until the coast. Wires along the road can be good for Bee-eaters, and there is usually water in the reedlined pools. As there was no water it was not productive, but I had 11 Bee-eaters, 10 Black-headed Wagtails, 7 Red-rumped Swallows, 1 Ortolan Bunting, many Spanish Sparrows, 4 Sardinian Warblers, Crested Larks etc. But little else.

MANDRIA - I have never found this area particularly good, but managed to etch out several good birds over repeat visits, especially early morning. One birder had an overhead Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater here on a day of rain. Birds seen here included : 3 Black Francolins, several Chukars, 10 Short-toed Larks, 8 Red-throated Pipits, 1 Montagu's Harrier, 3 Marsh Harriers, 20 Blue-headed Wagtails, 1 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear. Do check the rocks - seen there were 125 Little Egrets and 15 Squacco Herons.

ACHELEIA POOLS/PAPHOS DESALINATION PLANT (Sewage Works) - Acheleia Pools were dry so not much to see. At Acheleia on the B6 (coming from Paphos), take the seaward direction, right-hand turn at the cream coloured bridge railings, and follow the tarmac road but after a mile where it bends left follow the rough track that continues straight on. After a couple of hundred metres this rough track forks left but carry straight on and just twenty metres afterwards, it too forks. Take the left hand upward fork and from the brow of the hill there you can usually enjoy good views of the Acheleia Outflow pools that can be good for crakes. But it was very quiet. Carry onward and turn left toward the white Desalination plant, checking the ploughed fields for larks, pipits, wagtails. There are various tracks on a grid system that should be checked as they contain orchards. Birds seen here included: 2 Red-throated Pipits, 100 plus Blue-headed Wagtails, 30 Black-headed Wagtails, 2-3 Ashy/Grey-headed Wagtails, Masked Shrike, 3 Spur-winged Plovers, 5 Cattle Egrets, and on the rainy day a passage of herons overhead which totalled 12 Night Herons & 2 Purple Herons. A pair of Collared Flycatchers were seen in nearby pines, & Redshank, Little Stint in a corner of a field after the rain.

Overall I would say that Anarita Park, Agia Varvara, Mandria, and Acheleia/ Paphos Desalination Plant were the most productive areas.

I also visited a few other sites once.

TOMBS OF THE KINGS, PAPHOS - 4 euro entrance fee at 8am was worthwhile, as there is good habitat. Birds here included : 1 Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, 10 Cretzschmar's Bunting, 1 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear, 3 Northern Wheatear, 2 Stone Curlew, 9 Short-toed Lark, many Crested Larks.

PAPHOS HEADLAND - this place is legendary, but for me of limited interest since they cut back vegetation. Only one mid-day visit made and little seen. Opens at 8.30am, 5 euros entrance fee (I think). All "unofficial" entrances around perimeter appear to have been patched up. Another birder had Masked Shrike here so maybe worthy of attention still.

PAPHOS FOREST - take the B7 road out of Paphos, and after 15 kms approx, take right turn to signposted CEDAR VALLEY. At Pano Panayia I found a small picnic spot that contained a couple of Coal Tits and Chaffinches. A circular route was taken back to the B7 and Paphos but apart from a few Rollers, Woodchat Shrikes, House Martins very little was seen. A bit of a waste really.

AKAMAS PENINSULA - another wasted trip, with only birds seen being Audouin's Gull and 20-plus Jackdaws.

CAPE ASPRO (PISSOURI) - just outside Paphos district (in Limmassol district officially), but only 45 minutes along A6 from Paphos, I travelled here in the vain hope of finding a male Hooded Wheatear that had been reported. Not refound unfortunately but several good birds, especially looking down to the sea where 2-3 Eleonora's falcons were hunting 10-15 Alpine Swifts and Pallid/Common Swifts. Other birds on clifftop scrub included 2-3 Cyprus Pied Wheatears, 1 Ortolan Bunting, 1 Eastern Black-eared Wheatear, several Jackdaws, 1 Long-legged Buzzard. This is a good spot but you need to get through the narrow, winding streets of Pissouri and head for the army-radar station at the cape.

So that was it - exactly 100 species recorded, but it was hard work. Best day was when it was overcast and wet. House Sparrows are everywhere, also Hooded Crows, Magpies, Collared Doves, Crested Larks, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Swallows, Swifts all routinely seen.

No lifers seen, best moments were superb views of Bee-eaters, Rollers, Great Spotted Cuckoos, Black Francolins, Wagtails, Red-throated Pipits, and especially five-metre views of a very pale, male Montagu's Harrier.

If winter has been wet, birding around Paphos maybe far more productive. I still saw some good birds, but overall I found it hard-going at times.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back