• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your car binoculars! (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

I was just wondering what binoculars you guys keep in your car?

I keep an Opticron Oregon 8x32. It's cheap, compact, light, has good FOV and fits in my glove compartment. :t:

Using it from the car mostly negates its main minuses - plenty of glare and a stiff focus wheel in cold temperatures. Still, I am considering replacing it with a Nikon M7 8x30 which can be had rather cheaply nowadays. :smoke:

I frequently pass eagles and ravens on my drive to work, so its worth having something retina-picture-enhancing on hand! ;)

Although we live in a suburban area, we also have a place in the country, and we like to tour our large state whenever we can. Therefore, I keep inexpensive binos in all the vehicles, since we never know where we will end up.

A Vanguard ED 8x42 and a Leupold Mojave 10x32 in the truck.
Nikon M7 8x30 and Krueger Caldera 8x42 in the SUV.
Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 in the wife's sports coupe.
Celestron Trailseeker 10x32 in the big motorcycle.
Alpen Wings ED 8x20 in the small motorcycle.

it has varied , but now

my truck
pentax papillo 8.5x21
orion 10-25x42 monocular

wife's car
8x42 Minot monocular-her choice

RV
Bushnell Elite spotting scope
plus binoculars I decide to take

edj

Last edited:
Using binoculars from the truck is generally an opportunity for me to use heavier or higher magnification binos than I would normally carry when walking. Parked up somewhere and depending on the use then a good opportunity to bring out an 8x56 or a 10x42.

Generally older, inexpensive models.

early 90s Minolta 7x50
late 80s Nikon 7x35, which has good glass but poor coatings
Bushnell Custom 10x40

Kowa YF 6x30 or Kruger Caldera 8x42 and sometimes an Atlas Intrepid 10x42 if I think I might end up wanting a closer more detailed look.

I don't keep bins in the car because of temperature related damage. My grab and go binoculars are either Nikon 8x30 EII or Unitron 8x32.

It does have a crappy field of view though! ;) Only 124m at 1000! That's really subpar for a 8x30 nowadays.

Since I have an 8x30 CL Companion (although I don't use it as a car binocular--my car binocular is a Pentax 9x32 which has a smaller FOV and works fine as a car binocular) I will put in a word for it. Almost the entire 124 meters (375'@1000yards) of the view is useable and it is a comfortable binocular to use. My wife is very pleased with it. It is really her binocular.

It is a weight for FOV trade off.

Almost all 8x32s are heavier than 8x30s and if they have wider FOVs and good edges in the view then they cost more.

Not that wide FOVs without good edges can't be excellent binoculars! Get yourself a Nikon 8x30 EII with its 8.8º FOV and you will see what I mean!

Bob

Last edited:
we are concerned about the damage/loss from keeping quality optics in the car
but
who has suffered damage or loss from this practice?

anyone?

edj

we are concerned about the damage/loss from keeping quality optics in the car
but
who has suffered damage or loss from this practice?

anyone?

edj

So far I haven't had any problems but I only keep inexpensive ones in my car. By that I mean under $300.00.

I can usually keep them out of sight in the consul or glove compartment depending on their size. I worry more about very hot weather and I have a small car binocular like a Pentax 9x28 on those days so I can take it with me when I leave the car.

Bob

Last edited:
Almost all 8x32s are heavier than 8x30s and if they have wider FOVs and good edges in the view then they cost more.

On the other hand, some 8x30s these days are both lighter and have bigger FOV than the Swaro CL, and are cheaper too! Optically, I would say they are breathing down the CL's neck as well. :smoke:

Case in point: the M7 8x30 and the Kite Lynx 8x30. ;)

On the other hand, some 8x30s these days are both lighter and have bigger FOV than the Swaro CL, and are cheaper too! Optically, I would say they are breathing down the CL's neck as well. :smoke:

Case in point: the M7 8x30 and the Kite Lynx 8x30. ;)

You will be happy with the M7. I've had them both (M7 and Oregon) and I find the M7 way, way better. I gave the Oregon away to my sister in law, as I found them pretty useless because of the glare issue. Terrible.

I returned the M7 because of a change in plans (traded new SLC42 for 32SV), but now I still want one as a car bino:t: Beautifull little bin, tack sharp (at least, the one I've had) light and cheap (249€ in NL)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back