• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (3 Viewers)

Very nice footage. I wouldn't have believed it would be possible to get such stable footage hand-held. It's certainly a nice, sharp walkabout lens.
How many of us are there shooting bird videos with Canon DSLRs? I would have thought there would be far more, but it seems that the core of what's being shot is by contributors to this thread. Is there anyone else out there? Be nice to get a community together to share tips, frustrations, highs and lows.

Very nice footage. I wouldn't have believed it would be possible to get such stable footage hand-held. It's certainly a nice, sharp walkabout lens.
How many of us are there shooting bird videos with Canon DSLRs? I would have thought there would be far more, but it seems that the core of what's being shot is by contributors to this thread. Is there anyone else out there? Be nice to get a community together to share tips, frustrations, highs and lows.

I agree, I think because this is in the Canon forum some of the Nikon videoers aren't posting in here and some people are posting low res videos on birdforum tv so they are dotted all over the place.
Would be good to get a dslr video subforum or something to get all queries and info and videos in one place.

A little compilation of my views of the Lapland Buntings that appeared over here.
Last time there was any of note was 7 years ago I was told.
Horrible heat haze at the start though and Ive now bought a new tripod so sturdy video should be in my realms now. Just have to sort a shotgun mic and possibly a viewfinder and Simon King needs to watch out.... (not :) ).

http://vimeo.com/15364991

How long is it taking people to upload to video sharing sites,I tried uploading one to Vimeo and it was saying 50 minutes,not really going to bother with that if it takes that long,I can put the same videos on Flickr in about 5 minutes,I dont tend to bother with the sound I normally edit it out,only tend to get camera /wind noise or hide chatter anyway..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbirdman/4996360963/

How long is it taking people to upload to video sharing sites,I tried uploading one to Vimeo and it was saying 50 minutes,not really going to bother with that if it takes that long,I can put the same videos on Flickr in about 5 minutes,

You have to pay for the pro account to get faster uploads with Vimeo. For free accounts it depends how busy the servers are, usually we have to wait but not always.

Vimeo's video quality is (to my eyes anyway) higher than both YouTube and Flickr, enough to make it worth waiting for the upload.

Love the golden eagle vid!

heres a pink footed goose on the isle of man. Shot with the 500mm f4 and 100-400mm.
Balanced on a car window ledge. (forgot me beanbag! dohh).
Audio was captured using a zoom h1 on the hotshoe mount. First time ive tried it, think it needs some tweaks yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQTU_isuYE&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=IkWdaVeqIHQ

I agree vimeo is better quality but I am not going to renew my subscription as its just not getting the views. Ive had more views in about 30 minutes on youtube than Ive had in months on vimeo.

I have limited mobile broadband downloads so I don't watch many online videos. I have read many of your posts and think I can make a useful suggestion for improved audio.

Wireless microphones of the portable variety have a cigarette pack sized receiver that is wired to the camera's audio input. Various types of mics can be attached to the small transmitter pack that can then be placed anywhere within the set's designed range. This not only gets the mic away from camera noise, but also can put it near the subject. Cost for them runs small for consumer quality and very expensive for pro gear. Prosumer grade was what I used during my Digital 8 camcorder days. I also had a tiny mixer so if I wanted to get fancy, like mix a audio track from a digital player I could do it at the time of shooting and at the same time have mic clipped to my shirt for play by play narration. I think Azden was the brand of the mixer. It wasn't expensive and it was small and light enough to be attached to the tripod with Velcro.

I was shooting video of a Western Bluebird pair that started their family in a nestbox I built and place about 20 feet from my front door. When they were both out for lunch one day I took the peaked roof off the nest box and glued in it a tiny B&W infrared camera. It eventually was wired to a video mixer along with two other camcorders I had setup to cover the coming and going of the birds from the outside. From the mixer it went to a DVD recorder which was very new in those days. At first it was a FUN project. Then it became an obsession. I was even shooting at night using the Sony camcorder's infrared night vision capability. I was watching the monitor and saw a cat creeping over a limb toward the box. I shooed it away and the next day surrounded the oak tree's trunk with chicken wire. I had the wireless mic attached under the eave of the roof out of sight from the cameras. It did a great job of picking up the sounds from the nest box. I had to use a small ladder to change the transmitter's 9volt battery. When a very cold wave of weather hit I took a electric coffee mug warmer out and attached it to the under the box to help keep it warm inside.

Toward the end I blew it, by sleeping late the day the four little guys fledged and left the box. That was supposed to be the highlight of my long winded endeavor. And finally I was overwhelmed. I had well over 30 DVD's and had not labeled them well. I thought someday I'll get to the huge task of logging the footage prior to editing, but I still haven't done it. Maybe some day?

My words of wisdom ... keep it FUN ... and try a wireless mic.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back