• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car window mount revisited (1 Viewer)

Josef

With cold weather on its way I thought I’d look at taking pics from the comfort of my car and here is what I came up with. I’ve tried the usual types and read anything I could find in birdforum but couldn’t find anything that really worked. The problem was flexibility and precision.

Most common types took up space where the scope was to high to operate and took window space so scope movement was very limited.

The precision problem stemmed from lack of stability from a poor head or the mount attaching to the car glass which moves or car padding which would also induce movement.

My solution was to mount to the steel of the car (I used the rain gutter) and for precision I used my tripod stem and head in the new frame. As you can see in the pics I use an angled scope which I think helps to get a wider field of viewing. With the scope high I can even look over the car side mirror. One benefit I didn’t expect was from the head being turned upside down, the balance is better and I take off my balance rail when using it. Another neat thing is that when driving short distances the scope can be pivoted into the plane of the glass and with the lens cover on is protected from bugs and gravel. The one downside is removing the mount from the car when exiting.

The cost of the gizmo is minimal. I had an extra base (what the stem slides in) and used a couple pieces of steel I had laying around. About the only thing I bought was the plastic headed thumb screw which is used to secure the mount tight to the rain gutter.

Hope this helps anyone trying to get ready for the winter, now if only a few birds would cooperate.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 181
When digiscoping we all realize never to point the scope at the sun which would fry the sensor. Well a friend notified me with a new precaution, he was digiscoping from his car and with the camera off driving slowly, and the sun still fried his sensor. Apparently the magnification is strong enough to burn a hole (in his case a 3/32") through the lens cover.This happened late in the day with the sun low.

I've always taken the camera off the window mount when moving and placed the scopes protective cover on so I've been lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back