• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured bird advice needed (1 Viewer)

wtmvm

I have what I think is an injured hen blackbird in my garden.
The problem seems to be its tail feathers, they appear to be bent down and over to one side, it is very tame and I could probably catch it if necessary. apart from that problem which seems to stop it flying, it seems very healthy.

It seems to have made my garden its home and I have a doberman (who thankfully has no interest in birds!) so cats should not be a problem.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Kezza said:
Hi wtmvm

Are you sure it can't fly? How long has it been in your garden?

Hi all.
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

The birds been in the the garden on and off for a few weeks now, it can fly but not how it used to. It appears to have a problem steering itself, so only makes short flights of a couple of metres.

It is eating ok its been digging up worms and eating bread I put out for it.

The problem is I know very little about birds, I would not want to hurt it with ignorance. It definately looks like its damaged its tail feathers they`re bent down and drag along the ground as it walks!

I'd agree with Henry on leaving it alone. I know that sounds uncaring but as it is able to get around I'm not sure it is right to step in. I do understand your concern.

I would keep an eye on it and continue feeding on the ground so it isn't so much of a struggle to find food. Blackbirds also love apple by the way and sultanas - soaked in water first.

If it gets much worse and is unable to fly at all then you could ring one of the numbers below. Maybe they could help. I don't know how up to date the numbers are but maybe you know of somewhere near you anyway.

01603 629444 Anglian wildlife rescue
01692 598312 Faith animal rescue

Good it's got your Doberman to gaurd it from cats whilst it is vunerable!

Last edited:
It's totally fine. Stop worrying.

Bent tail feathers are not a sign of injury - it's like you having messy hair, it's temporary. This bird has probably bent them while it's been incubating its eggs, with its tail stuck up against a branch or something. It's probably flying a bit wonky because of that, but also because they're moulting right now.

If it's been surviving several weeks, then that tells you all you need to know - it's fine.

garden blackbirds can get by with far worse - one of my local birds have been carrying a badly-mended broken wing for 2 years, but has still managed to survive as he doesn't need to go far.

Poecile said:
It's totally fine. Stop worrying.

Bent tail feathers are not a sign of injury - it's like you having messy hair, it's temporary. This bird has probably bent them while it's been incubating its eggs, with its tail stuck up against a branch or something. It's probably flying a bit wonky because of that, but also because they're moulting right now.

Agree with Poecile here :t:

But I don`t suppose wtmvm would do much harm to just take a quick look at the bird ... ? Mabye she is indeed injured or maybe she is covered in lice .... About 5 years ago I had a similar experience with an adult crow that acted similar .. I picked her up and just got my hands full of lice ... very disgusting creatures, they were to many for her to handle and except for the feathers she was skin and bones. I went to a pet shop and bought a solution and sprayed the bird, kept it for about 2 hours until she was dry and then let her go. The next day she was flying ...she came back a few times in the next weeks for food but that was it ...

Just saying ..

Last edited:
k-rina said:
But I don`t suppose wtmvm would do much harm to just take a quick look at the bird ... ? Mabye she is indeed injured or maybe she is covered in lice .... About 5 years ago I had a similar experience with an adult crow that acted similar .. I picked her up and just got my hands full of lice ... very disgusting creatures, they were to many for her to handle and except for the feathers she was skin and bones. I went to a pet shop and bought a solution and sprayed the bird, kept it for about 2 hours until she was dry and then let her go. The next day she was flying ...she came back a few times in the next weeks for food but that was it ...

Just saying ..

Hi all.
Been keeping an eye on her today and it looks like good news, she is eating well is very active and the tail feathers seem to to be almost normal. She still isn`t flying though but looks fine, I don`t think she has a problem with lice but I`ll try and have a closer look tomorrow and let you all know what I see.

One other thing, she chased off a mouse that got close to where she was feeding today,, as my wife and I recently moved to the countryside from the city we are still getting used to the birds bats and now mice!!

Thanks again for your help interest and advice...

That's good news, thanks for letting us know.
It's probably a Woodmouse you've got there. They are supposed to be nocturnal but mines often out during the day and pinches found from right under the birds beaks!
Hope you enjoy your new life in the countryside!

Kezza said:
That's good news, thanks for letting us know.
It's probably a Woodmouse you've got there. They are supposed to be nocturnal but mines often out during the day and pinches found from right under the birds beaks!
Hope you enjoy your new life in the countryside!

Hi Kezza, been away for a couple of days. Not seen the Mouse any more, but the bird is fine, got a very close look this morning and she looks in really good condition. My wife says shes seen her flying around the garden so I think this story has a happy ending.

wtmvm..

wtmvm said:
Hi Kezza, been away for a couple of days. Not seen the Mouse any more, but the bird is fine, got a very close look this morning and she looks in really good condition. My wife says shes seen her flying around the garden so I think this story has a happy ending.

wtmvm..

Excellent - Blackbirds are typical 'sedentary birds' as long as they can find food, escape from danger & nest they have no need to 'go' anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back