• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterthrush Finger Lakes, New York State, Aug 14 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hartley

Hi,

Just returned from a trip to the US and trying to identify a few birds that I didn't manage to identify while there.

This one was seen in the Finger Lakes area in New York State on the 9th August.

Can anyone please help me identify it? I think its an Louisiana Waterthrush but may be a Northern?

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 81
I think it's got a lot going for it being Louisiana. Looks like some spotting maybe on the throat side of the malar stripe though(?), but maybe that's ok?

It looks to me like it shows fairly extensive yellow on the underparts and to some extent on the supercillium. There's also a bit of streaking visible on the throat. I think it's a Northern Waterthrush.

You may very well be right Andrew, and the images aren't that clear.

To me though it looks pretty white underneath with contrasting (possibly) more peachy flanks. The super looks flared at the rear, and whitish except towards the bill, the underpart streaking looks comparatively sparse and blotchy. My impression is that the bird looks pretty stocky, with a reasonably strong bill, and the leg colour looks ok(ish) for Louie. There may also only be a couple of tiny streaks within the throat (hard to see on these pics).

It's far from easy for me anyway!

Thanks guys, a couple more photos with a better view of the throat.

Do these help?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 57
I based my opinion on super flared at the rear, buffy (not yellow) in front of eye but white behind, buffy flanks and sides in contrast to other parts of the underside being white. I think I have seen that the yellowish form of NW is more evenly yellow on underside? And Sibley's drawing indicates that NW has the front end of the super being the whitest part.

Niels

The throat streaks are really bothering me now, as is the extent of the streaking on the unds. Getting mixed messages. Be good to hear from people who live among them!

Thanks again guys, the photo's are not great, I was over exposing for a different shot and forgot to reset! which is why they are bit washed out.

This is another shot from a different angle.

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 51
Tough call, but the patchy distribution of the buffy/yellow color (could be overexposed buffy, could just be yellow) - i.e., rear flanks and shoulder flanks - is better for Louisiana, and so is the habitat. I think the spotting is sparse enough, including on the throat, to point to Louisiana as well.

I usually do not have much trouble figuring out waterthrushes, given good looks/pics, but the original photos were rather confounding. The last photo however, looks best for Louisiana, with the contrasting white belly and buff flanks clearly shown (and not a result of reflected light). Northerns are usually rather evenly yellowish below (the suffusion of yellow varying greatly). The streaking below is a bit more dense than usual in LAWA, and the bill doesn't look as big as usual, but the brighter pinks legs, buff flanks, white belly, and mostly umarked throat are good for Louisiana.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back