• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (2 Viewers)

At last! When I first got my 7D one of the things I was determined to do was try and catch a Nightingale singing. (Hey, why not start with something easy!) This morning I finally caught one of the Pulborough birds not hiding in the depths of a bush. Of course, I'd forgotten to take my Rode Videomic, so the sound was polluted with IS noises, but Premiere's Highpass filter got rid of a lot of it.

Nightingale Vid

The noise at the end of it is me remembering to breathe again!

Pretty good sound there Frank........

Here's a Red Cheeked Starling video I took this morning.

And a Tree Sparrow too.

The above two were on a windless day and I used a tripod so the sound isn't so bad. I forgot to switch the IS off but you can't really hear it.

I almost never go out walking with a tripod so I've been shooting a lot handheld recently, not such a good idea with a 400mm lens. Apart from the jerky wobbly pictures the sound is never so good either.....................

Anyway here's a very confused Grey Headed Woodpecker in a city street. And here's a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker and an Oriental Great Reed Warbler.

Saw this advertised, would anybody use it for DSLR video?

http://http://www.newprouk.co.uk/hoodman-hoodcrane.htm

the whole setup is certainly not cheap, but if you are using manual focus on a regular basis to tweak the focusing?

I have the basic hood version for the back of my coolpix 5100 and P6000 for digiscoping and doing video, the glass is very good and it does help greatly with my focusing

Paul

Last edited:
That link didn't work for me Paul.

To be honest most of the time I focus as per normal through the viewfinder first then switch to video mode, check on live view the focus is still OK and then press the start button. The only time I use liveview exclusively is when I have a T/C attached..............

Frank and Stu they are great vids.
Thanks for mentioning that high pass filter too, Ill have a go at that. IS noise is the only pain it seems with dslr video.

Paul that hood looks quite good, Ive seen alot of pro photo journalists using hoods on dslrs but that total price is a bit steep unless someone was going to video fulltime I think.

That gannet video is pretty good, I haven't even thought about flying birds as I presumed it would be too difficult.......

Here's a video of a singing Black Browed Reed Warbler I took yesterday.

Luckily it wasn't windy, I've found for small birds wind really is the enemy to budding DSLR videographers.............not only does it ruin the sound (if like me you don't have an external mic) but it also blows birds perching on grass all over the frame..............

Here's a video of a singing Black Browed Reed Warbler I took yesterday.

Luckily it wasn't windy, I've found for small birds wind really is the enemy to budding DSLR videographers.............not only does it ruin the sound (if like me you don't have an external mic) but it also blows birds perching on grass all over the frame..............

Thats a nice vid, only one reed :-O bloody 1000s on our reedbeds, thats why I cannot see them

Got this Nightjar video last week.
Quite pleased with how it turned out as I went there with my wide angle 17-40mm on the 7d and had it at iso3200 (i think, it might have been 6400) wondering if it would actually work and would you be able to see the bird

http://vimeo.com/13134197

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back