• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trush or warbler? (Canada, Yukon) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi there,

I wonder if it is possible to ID this bird. Could it be a trush or a warbler or is it neither warbler nor trush? I have only this two pictures.

Seen in Canada, Yukon, Whitehorse, Schwatka Lake in a Pine-tree. (30.07.14)

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 96
Undeniably buffiness going on in cheeks...

Doesn't help it is a juvenile, can juv grey-cheeked show this buffiness?

Sibley shows the juvenile "interior west" Swainson's to have significantly less buffy around the cheek and malar than an adult - like this bird.

I'm not convinced this is a juvenile. It's in heavy molt, including the tail feathers, which aren't replaced by juveniles until their 2nd year. I agree that Swainson's Thrush seems to be the best match though.

Swainson's was my other choice,(the only other given location?) but thought the eyering was too pale, not seeing buffy spectacles. My opinion was the bird was losing its downiness and the tail was still growing in, hence the shortness. I am quite happy to have been corrected though.
Swainson's Thrush it is.

Thanks a lot for your help and this interesting, intentive discussion! @Andy,Silverwolf, DarkFireFalcon, Randy, Jeff and Chris!

Best regards, Christoph

Looking at pics online, many adult catharus thrushes show a very similar gape. I think that's one of those groups that just show a bright gape regardless of age. As for the tail, according to the BNA, juvenile Swainson's Thrush don't molt their tails this time of year, but adults do. You can see that the inner tail feather looks really worn, year old feathers, while the outer ones are brand new. A juvenile wouldn't have such worn feathers yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back