• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

The weather forecast for the Yorks coast is looking pretty interesting for Wednesday at the moment. A large high over N Europe, 30mph ESE winds originating in Europe and an occluded front stretching the length of the E coast from N Norfolk to Northumberland dropping v large amounts of rain overnight. Wouldn't be the first time that an interesting long-range forecast gets less promising as the days go by though...

Last edited:
I managed to find 2 of these while I was searching for Whinchats on the edge of Langsett Moor today !! Grid Ref SE185009

Attachments

• Black Redstart 1.jpg
    Black Redstart 1.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Black Redstart 2.jpg
    Black Redstart 2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Black Redstart 3.jpg
    Black Redstart 3.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 81
  • Black Redstart 4.jpg
    Black Redstart 4.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 47
Nice morning at spurn today.
Common rosefinch at the point plus a fleeting barred warbler.Pied flycatcher and wood warbler around Kew villa and barred warbler at the canal zone plus a few common migrants kicking about nice weather and not too busy (that might change over the next few days given the weather forecast!).
For anyone interested there are more details on the blog.

Attachments

• bw4.jpg
    bw4.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 81
  • bw6.jpg
    bw6.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 67
  • pf2.jpg
    pf2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 69
Hi chaps,

During a visit to Old Moor the other day I saw a little egret with ID bands on each leg . I was just wondering if there are any websites where I could try to find out the origin of said bands. I have both the colour and the lettering for both. I was going to post this on the 'Ringing' section but it appears to be a very 'quiet' area of the Forum.

Thanks very much.

Dave, you want [email protected]

It might take them a while to get back but in my experience they will, & with as full a history of the bird as they can give.

Richard

Exactly - Spurn's about being in the right place at the right moment. The entries in the log are a combination of a lot of people's sightings, and no-one can go there and see everything! As Q says, it was very windy all day, and most passerines were staying nicely hidden - for most of the day even the churchyard and C&A car park seemed empty.

Hi Pete, sorry if that last post came across as if I was being funny or clever, it wasn't meant to be. I was just trying to let you know that there were some seen. Incidentally, I was at Spurn yesterday and saw another two.
Cheers.

Great Day at Spurn yesterday. Late getting there as we stopped off at Hornsea for the Crane but it hid away and we dipped as the clock ticked away. Then totally unaware of the Booted Warbler and driving right by it got to Spurn and immediately got Redstart, Spot Fly and Pied Fly. Then at the Warren another Pied Fly and a glimpse of the tail of what I thought was a Redstart but some were thinking was a Bluethroat. (As it never showed again I can't count it) Then down to post 60 for a Common Rosefinch. Lots of Whinchat about and at least a dozen Yellow Wags. Then a call from a mate about a possible Great Snipe. Two flushes gave two good flights, the second sending the bird way up and over toward Sammies. A great end to a great day. I'll be back very soon.

how many bb rares in east yorks recently? semi-p, sharp-tailed sand, collared fly, eastern olly, booted warbler, great snipe & now brown fly at buckton. Mega

Had a peek at Dave's black redstarts at Langsett today. Saw at least one of them - a cracking bird! The question is - are they on passage, or did they breed? Certainly looks like good habitat for them.

Pic of the Buckton Brown Fly, showing very well at times this evening ,
BrownFlycatcher005.jpg

BrownFlycatcher009.jpg

Last edited:
how many bb rares in east yorks recently? semi-p, sharp-tailed sand, collared fly, eastern olly, booted warbler, great snipe & now brown fly at buckton. Mega

I thought the Brown Fly would be be a blocker for years.

What is the story with the Semi-p? Is it now widely accepted that it was the same bird as Lincs. or is the Yorkshire bird still a possible?

I was away at the time, but what was the story at Blacktoft - just one update on Birdguides on the bird. Was it a single observer or did it stay all day?

What is the story with the Semi-p? Is it now widely accepted that it was the same bird as Lincs. or is the Yorkshire bird still a possible?

I was away at the time, but what was the story at Blacktoft - just one update on Birdguides on the bird. Was it a single observer or did it stay all day?

Me too.

The last few days have read really well for Yorkshire. What's reality been like - who from BF has connected with what?

Was seen by a number of birders on a single tide including by the warden. Bare in mind alkborough is 2 miles from Blacktoft and generally drags more waders in these days.

I forgot about the citrine at spurn as well

Oli gettable, as was sharpie. semi-p only gettable in lincs. Sounds like great snipe was a luck job but citrine was doable. Booted was twitchable if you were quick off the mark. Brown Fly obviously eminantly twitchable as was the collared.

I dipped the Sharpie at Pat Haven before it went to spurn, dipped the booted. Saw the collared and oli. Didnt try for the citrine due to time. Connected with semi-p in lincs and didnt bother with brown fly and great snipe due to both being on my yorks list. Due to a year old baby i have to pick my battles at the moment.

I managed the Great Snipe but only because I was in the right place at the right time and got a hot tip off. You really needed luck for that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back