• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Book (1 Viewer)

chazz

I'm new to birding and I intend to buy a bird ID book today.......is there a particular book that is considered to be the best? I don't think I need one for birds all around the world....mainly in my part of the U.S. (Kansas). Thanks very much for your expert advice.

Chazz, there are some state books, most particularly there are Stan Tekiela books, I'm sure there is one called Birds of Kansas. The organization by COLOR drives me nuts, so I just use the index. It has one feature that is of use: maps, county by county. The Tekiela books have maybe half the birds of any state covered, no migrants going thru, just part year residents.

Other than that, you can quickly graduate to Sibley guide, Eastern edition. In general, we are East, when East of the Rockies.

Chazz,
Peterson Field Guides Eastern Birds by Roger Tory Peterson is a good guide for Kansas. It covers likely birds encountered from Gulf of Mexico to the Artic, and East of the 100th Meridian too the Eastern Seabord. The Meridian runs through approx. the western fifth of Kansas, if you live in this area you may need to get the Peterson Western Edition also.

Another good guide is Birds of North America by Kenn Kaufman. It covers birds from S. Mexico to the Artic, and coast to coast. This guide is different from most in that it morphs hand illustrations with photos to give a computer generated identification plate.

Go to your library and check these out, and try using them in the feild/feeder to see which you find easier to use. Then go to Amazon.com where you can purchase them for half the bookstore price.

Amazon also has some excellant book reveiws that I found extremely helpful in determining which are the best, most helpful books.

While at the library you might want to check out Sibley's Birding Basics by David Allen Sibley. I'm very novice and found it to be quite helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back