• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgarian spiders (1 Viewer)

paul47

Just a few from Bulgaria last week, all in marshy locations. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on id for 1-3 (especially #1).

1) At least 40mm long (excluding legs)
2) 20mm long
3) 20mm long
4) Female wasp spider - these were fairly abundant
5) The male, lurking on the edge of the female's web

Attachments

• e011032.JPG
    e011032.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 286
  • e031609.JPG
    e031609.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 186
  • e031647.JPG
    e031647.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 108
  • e061632a.JPG
    e061632a.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 303
  • e061632b.JPG
    e061632b.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 97
I missed one!

I first thought it was a house spider - body length around 20mm.

Attachments

• Krum2.JPG
    Krum2.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 160
Just a few from Bulgaria last week, all in marshy locations. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on id for 1-3 (especially #1).

1) At least 40mm long (excluding legs)
2) 20mm long
3) 20mm long
4) Female wasp spider - these were fairly abundant
5) The male, lurking on the edge of the female's web

4 is Argiope bruennichi - which I have never seen called a 'wasp spider',
but it's fairly common in these parts, yes! And very beautiful, too.
Best
David

Yes, that looks very good, thank you!

Odd to find it in our hotel, in the middle of a largish town. I'm also intrigued by the spinners (?) sticking out of the back end - I've never seen anything like that before.

Yes, that looks very good, thank you!

Odd to find it in our hotel, in the middle of a largish town. I'm also intrigued by the spinners (?) sticking out of the back end - I've never seen anything like that before.

I don't know enough about the spider to say if it was odd - maybe the genus is like Tegenaria with some species that prefer to live outdoors, other indoors (??).

It was the spinnerets that made me suspect it was an agelenid

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back