• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit for discussion (1 Viewer)

from memory Chris... on Wapits, the upper breast is usually the last sum plum feature to appear... I spent indecent amounts of time watching them come into breeding plumage at Neston in the early 80's.

Don't suppose it was calling? I hear a distinct difference between Wapit and Rockit... about as distinct as that between alba and yarelli wagtails? Rockit has a slightly lispier fisst, Wapit a more clipped zinc

Didn't hear it call. I can't separate them on call anyways (too many years listening to loud rock music!).

Hi

Posted a pic of a bird taken by a friend, unfortunately I didn't ask him first. Subsequent posts may now make no sense - apologies.

Sean

Last edited:
its a pipit!

Its either a well marked littoralis or a poor wapit. I'd really want it to have whiter wing bars to be a cast iron wapit. It also has pretty heavily streaked flanks. Really need to see the extent of white in the second outermost TF to be sure.. but I'd lean towards rockit on plumage. That said it was a quite Wapit like character...

I think that is I don't rightly know and I'd like to see it in the field to be surer!

The trouble is Brian Rockits, especially scandi ones can be quite pale-legged...at least a sort of reddy-brown like this bird

On the original photo, the leg colour is a distinctively bright orangey pink, though the bright sunlight may be enhancing this. The breast also has a clearly distinct pale pinkish to it.

Just goes to show how tricky these are....

Any more comments from others would be welcomed, as this bird has still not been sorted out.

Sean

Sean I think its really hard to prove a lot of Water Pipits.... In a sense the debate of where does petrosus end and littoralis start is the same debate with littoralis and spinoletta. Its just with spinoletta split as a different species now there is more pressure to be conclusive. Need to see the pattern of white in the 2nd outermost TF I'm afraid, its just about the only 100% reliable feature.

Ghostly Vision said:
Hi

This bird was photographed by a friend a couple of weeks ago, in Cumbria.

Anyone have any comments?

Sean
This bird is nearly identical to the bird I put down as Water Pipit last week (mine had a no breast streaking and a greyer head, but that could have been down the 2 weeks time difference between photos).
I know we need to be careful when ID-ing from photos, but I wouldn't hesitate to say this is a Wapit. But then, I am always a bit "ID-hasty"! ;)

Last edited:
Sean,

Just out of interest where abouts in Cumbria? I am going through pipits in South Cumbria on Saturday.

I would lean towards that bird being a Water Pipit, and that would probably be a result for your friend. The Cumbrian Records Panel when rejecting a partial sum plum littoralis of mine last year indicated that they don't think littoralis is safely identifiable in any plumage. They are receiving all records with photos to lie on file.

Stephen.

Here are shots of that bird including outertail.

Stephen.

Attachments

• M Stick 083.jpg
    M Stick 083.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 137
  • M Stick 101.jpg
    M Stick 101.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 173
  • M Stick 103.jpg
    M Stick 103.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 154
Jane Turner said:
allegedly ;)

Well, I'd accept it.

For further interest, here are some scans of slides of a Water Pipit, caught at a classic watercress bed site in Kent in December 1985.

Attachments

• wapit1.jpg
    wapit1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 144
  • wapit2.jpg
    wapit2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 136
  • wapit3.jpg
    wapit3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 131
  • wapit4.jpg
    wapit4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 152
I went out to Hannafore today and took some video of a couple of birds. There are only three Pipits left at the site, an indeterminate bird - a known littoralis and the (in)famous Hannafore Pipit.

Here are three grabs of the littoralis ringed in Sweden in Sept 03 as well as a photo of the Hannafore Pipit.

The littoralis has obvious grey scapulars and the mantle is going the same way. It is also attaining a pink flush, and the outer tail feather is white. The Hannafore Pipit is looking a bit scruffy so I expect his breeding plumage to start appearing any day now. The complete eye-ring, pink legs and huge super are still very noticable - as is the more golden Mipit tone to the plumage.

Darrell

Attachments

• Scandi Rock Pipit.jpg
    Scandi Rock Pipit.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Scandi Rock Pipit.2.jpg
    Scandi Rock Pipit.2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Scandi Rock Pipit.3.jpg
    Scandi Rock Pipit.3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Pipit Mar 05.jpg
    Pipit Mar 05.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 146
Stephen Dunstan said:
The Cumbrian Records Panel ..... indicated that they don't think littoralis is safely identifiable in any plumage. They are receiving all records with photos to lie on file.

Bit absurd, since the BTO New Breeding Atlas shows there's only about 3 sites in the whole of Cumbria where petrosus breeds - corollary, probably 90% of Cumbria's wintering Ropits are likely to be littoralis

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back