• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions on Zeiss 85*FL (1 Viewer)

William,

The backpack is the easy part. The final cost when you add everything up is what hurts (and you forget about it once you get that first bird in sight). I too started looking at less expensive scopes and quickly moved up the line to the better scopes. I probably would have purchased the Nikon Fieldscope (with the intent on replacing the included eyepiece with one that offered better eye relief) except that, when I was ready to make the purchase, there were not to many available. I dug a little deeper into savings and picked up the Zeiss. There were some good deals as Zeiss was coming out with scopes with the LotuTec coating.

Enjoy helping to stimulate the economy. You'll be making some retailer(s) very happy.

JSO

I use the ED82 angled with a 30X DS fixed eyepiece. The view is as good or better than any alpha at 30X. Yes, you have to live with a 30X fixed magnification, but the tradeoff is a wide, pin-sharp FOV. The image is incredible...it's like owning a Nikon SE 8X32 on steroids.

I tried and rejected the 25-75 zoom for two reasons: short eye relief and narrow field of view. Otherwise, the one I looked at was pin sharp at 75X.

I hoped Nikon would develop a modern zoom for the ED82 body, but they chose not to. Too bad.

I travel with the scope and it ALWAYS goes in the overhead along with our other optics.

John

Last edited:
William,

The backpack is the easy part. The final cost when you add everything up is what hurts (and you forget about it once you get that first bird in sight). I too started looking at less expensive scopes and quickly moved up the line to the better scopes. I probably would have purchased the Nikon Fieldscope (with the intent on replacing the included eyepiece with one that offered better eye relief) except that, when I was ready to make the purchase, there were not to many available. I dug a little deeper into savings and picked up the Zeiss. There were some good deals as Zeiss was coming out with scopes with the LotuTec coating.

Enjoy helping to stimulate the economy. You'll be making some retailer(s) very happy.

JSO

JSO

Retailer(s) is right. Good chance I will be stringing purchases across several while looking for a great deal. Zeiss has a real nice silver color 85, but I will be boring and probably get green just for the blending in. I might wince a time or two when I look at the reciept (remember when I was looking at a $189 scope) You are probably right when that first bird comes into focus it will make the pain go away.

The good news is that I have between now and October/November to get everything before we go on a long weekend to Bombay Hook, De. for fall migration unless some fantastically great deal should fall out of the sky. I will be saving.

I use the ED82 angled with a 30X DS fixed eyepiece. The view is as good or better than any alpha at 30X. Yes, you have to live with a 30X fixed magnification, but the tradeoff is a wide pin-sharp FOV. The image is incredible...it's like owning a Nikon SE 8X32 on steroids.

I tried and rejected the 25-75 zoom for two reasons: short eye relief and narrow field of view. Otherwise, the one I looked at was pin sharp at 75X.

I hoped Nikon would develop a modern zoom for the ED82 body but they chose not to. Too bad.

I travel with the scope and it ALWAYS goes in the overhead along with our other optics.

John

I had a feeling everyone travels with their scope in the overhead. I have less than zero trust in TSA when they happen to open up your bag to rummage around or the "lost bag". I'd much rather put a pencil in my eye than think about how $2000 worth of scope suddenly got lost on it's maiden voyage to be used for the first time. 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back