• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird sp. with very unusual behavior (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

From Island Beach State Park in New Jersey USA.

I saw 3 different individual shorebirds that left me puzzled today. All 3 appeared to be of the same species. They behaved in a way that I have never before seen a shorebird. They were SWIMMING in the ocean in the surf. The winds were coming from the east and were sustained at 25-30 mph today and the surf was very rough. These birds would purposefully land in the water and would swim and seemed to be quite comfortable doing so. When the waves tumbled towards them and forced them up, they would pick up on the wing and glide over the face of the waves as they tumbled over, never ascending more than a few feet above the surface of the water, and then plop right back down into the water to swim.

Would sanderling ever be capable of performing this behavior? One of these 3 birds flew from a landward origin and into the water, passing pretty close in front of me, but I did not get a good look at it. Out in the water where I observed them for a duration, all I could make out was that they had dark backs with thin white lines in their wing patterns like a dunlin/sanderling and they were white underneath, and they definitely had some darker color around their neck.

With east winds could these birds have been phalarope sp.?

I would be very interested to hear whether people can attribute this behavior to sanderlings or not, this behavior has never before been documented by myself.

Amazing, I have never before seen a phalarope and to field ID one for myself in this situation would have been to base it off of behavior because I thought they looked like sanderlings. After looking at photos of both red and red-necked phalaropes just a minute ago, I am actually almost certain that they were in fact NOT phalaropes. The visibility was bad but I am an experienced birder and I think I would have been able to pick up the differences at least enough to know for sure that they were not sanderlings.... I really wanted to think they were phalaropes, but perhaps more interestingly I think that they may have really been sanderlings doing this.

Well, fair enough, you know what you saw. But. . . Sanderlings & the 2 ocean-going phalaropes are easily confusable on less than good views with those bright white wing stripes.

Sound more like Red-necked Phalarope. The males can be rather poorly marked, the wingbars are rather thin ( Sanderling have stonking big ones ), the behaviour is right. Red Phalarope would be unmistakable at this time of year and Wilson's are mainly a freshwater species.

I might add that these birds were only about 20 yards the shore, and there were 3 of them, and one of them came from the landward origin.... Wilson's phalarope does not have the correct wing pattern that I saw, and I just can't see myself being unable to differentiate a red phalarope from a sanderling at that distance. The pictures seems like they look quite a bit different, even in bad lighting. Again I have never seen one in the field so I could be wrong, but I am almost convinced that I saw sanderlings doing this which I know is very weird if not unheard of.

Edit:
also 2 birds were seen together, another 3rd one was 100 yards down the beach, it seems very rare to see 3 phalaropes even in strong east winds. When I say almost convinced, I am probably never going to be convinced. In addition to the behavior the thing that struck me as phalarope-like in the field was the elongated posture of the birds while they were swimming, the neck was stretched outward like a phalarope perhaps, BUT without ever having heard of or documenting sanderlings swimming like this before I have no idea if they would execute a similar posture when swimming, that is IF they are even capable of swimming like this.

Last edited:
One of them did fly right past me and I did not get a good enough look at it to ID it, but from that look I definitely did not see a phalarope. It was a bad look maybe I was wrong, but that is a major reason I am at least somewhat confident that I would have been able to notice the degree of difference between phalaropes and sanderlings

still most probably red-necked phalarope. sanderling has a very striking wing bar and no dark upperparts. also, behaviour perfectly fits for phalarope and is extremely unlikely for sanderling. and sanderlings never look long-necked. possibly you saw a male which doesn't show such a striking plumage. maybe even still in transitional plumage.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I have been persuaded to think they were red-necked phalaropes, especially after looking in the Sibley guide and noting how similar they could possibly look to sanderlings. I just wish I had my scope at the time. I am hesitant to believe they were phalaropes because they are rare from land here, but the thought crossed my mind in the field. The behavior was unlike anything I have ever seen. These types of sightings are unsettling for me, its killing me that I will never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back