• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 new 8x30 and 10x30 (1 Viewer)

I have an 8x30 Monarch 7.

It really isn't a "glare monster." But if you are looking east or west towards the horizons with a rising or setting sun not far away you will see some veiling glare in the lower half of the view. Most binoculars will show it under these conditions.

Bob

I've had the 8x for more than a year now. I've tested for glare in autumn, winter, spring and summer, right, left, up and down of the sun, in full light and in shade.
Yup, you can make them glare - and you can make it go away. Changing eye position against the EP seems to be the trick. If i get a glare, i pull the bins in more against my face and 'straighten up' to the EP and it goes. Haven't tried the 10x though, which might have its own foibles.
I haven't had this 'veiling glare' though - the overall milkiness across the whole view - just got 'spikes' of glare particularly in the lower quadrant.
I think the eye cups could be a millimeter or two longer which might help.
Some may call that fiddly, or more than they're prepared to bother with, but it doesn't take long to master a new technique. I've had to adjust something or other for any new bin i've taken on (except the FL 8x32, which seems to forgive almost everything!)

That pretty much sums up my experience with my 8x30. I tell people that they combine a lot of great features in a small package, but they are a bit picky about eye placement.

I would also agree with Gijs -- the 8x30 M7 is sharper than the Terra, and it has a brighter and wider view than the Terra too. Also has a smoother focus wheel, and some of the best objective covers out there. Overall, a very pleasant little package......

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back