• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 7.3 degree (1 Viewer)

Is there anyway to tell if this binocular is the fully multicoated version? The serial number starts with 805.

Do you have the original box? It might have FMC written on the label of the box. If not, look at the reflections from the EPs and objectives. Nikon's single coatings are blue, the MCs are green with some magenta.

Brock

Brock

I'm looking at a set on an auction. What kind of price would be worth paying for either a coated or multicoated unit?

One I'm looking at is an early one. However, Frank ' s photo shows a pinkish hue to the eye piece coatings rather than blue. We're some of the early examples FMC?

Looks like Frank was impressed with this one optically. Are the early examples still impressive?

The pink is actually a purple-ish, which is correct for the early Es. I have two pair and they are just fine. I paid about $80 US for my most recent, almost-like-new pair, although I have seen a less-pristine pair go for about $60 US a few weeks ago.

There is no wide field 7x35 in the E series. If this is an early Action Series 7x35 WF then it's not multi-coated (you'll see purplish blue coatings throughout). If it's the nearly identical Gold Sentinel with a gold band around the objective beauty ring it's partly multi-coated (green reflections from the external surfaces and purplish blue from the internal surfaces). It could also be a 7x35 from a later Action Series. A photo wouid help.

I did buy a 7x35 Gold Sentinel from craigslist sometime back and it was very good. Gave it to my brother-in-law who is happy with it.

Both of my 7x35 Es are 7.3 degree field-of-view, just like the ones you are looking at. So, as Henry mentioned, not wide field like the 8x30 E. However, they are still certainly very nice and quite useful if you can find a nice pair for a good price.

Sorry, I misread the FOV. 7.3º would be the E series and Frank's photos show the distinction between single coated and fully multi-coated.

Additional note on the case: Although I have heard folks call it a leather case, the early Es case is actually fiberboard covered in a fabric-backed vinyl material. This material seems to self destruct after a certain number of years. So, even though the binoculars may be almost perfect, the case can look like rubbish. Look at the binoculars carefully when purchasing, even if the case is terrible looking. You may get a good deal that way.

I have successfully re-covered one of my 8x30 E cases and it came out pretty good - almost like new. Just used some vinyl fake leather I bought at the fabric store and used 3M 77 spray adhesive and Pliobond liquid adhesive to attach it. Used the old pieces as patterns. After drilling out the rivets and pulling out the two nails on the bottom, the case disassembles quite easily. Pulling off the old covering does remove one layer of the fiberboard (just a paper-thin layer), but this is not a problem since it is still thick enough.

Last edited:
Some photos of the re-covered NIKON 8x30E case. Be gentle with your comments, it was my first time. ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_0077.JPG
    DSC_0077.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back