• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled 65 diascope for $890. Too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

cabin

There's a fellow on ebay who sold a new diascope 65 for $890 (U.S) last week which he claims includes the lifetime transferable warranty. He has another one like it up for sale now, and his reserve price is, based on his last two auctions, either $890 or $899. His scopes come with the Zeiss zoom, 15-45x, I think it is.

A couple things. One, he is not an authorized dealer, yet insists after selling hundreds of scopes (we've been emailing) that there has never been a problem with the warranty, and that each scope carried the lifetime transferable warranty. I told him that the Zeiss website says that only authorized North America dealers can pass along the lifetime warranty to U.S. buyers. He didn't go into much detail in his answer to this, but said that "Zeiss is wrong". Does anyone out there know more about this? How can Zeiss be wrong about its own policy? This seller claims that he buys from an authorized dealer, and that makes it work. I suppose I can understand it if the ebay buyer is seen as the second buyer, and is benefitting from the fact that the warranty is transferable. But such an interpretation would seem to stretch the intent of Zeiss' warranty rules.

Second point: How can anyone buy a Zeiss 65 scope and then profitably resell it for $899? And apparently do so with "hundreds" of scopes? Eagle Optics price is somewhere around $1400+ for this model, and the best price from an authorized dealer I can find on ebay is $1299 (U.S.). I would ordinarily assume this is just another ebay fraud, but this seller has had several thousand transactions and accumulated a 99.8% positive rating.

Is this "too good to be true", and if so, how to reconcile that with this sellers impressive ebay rating?

I would ordinarily assume this is just another ebay fraud, but this seller has had several thousand transactions and accumulated a 99.8% positive rating.

Is this "too good to be true", and if so, how to reconcile that with this sellers impressive ebay rating?[/QUOTE]

It might be worth e mailing some of his feedback buyers to check out if this is a genuine seller or not. If you do a trawl through a few of them then you should find a buyer of a diascope.

Dave

cabin said:
There's a fellow on ebay who sold a new diascope 65 for $890 (U.S) last week which he claims includes the lifetime transferable warranty. He has another one like it up for sale now, and his reserve price is, based on his last two auctions, either $890 or $899. His scopes come with the Zeiss zoom, 15-45x, I think it is.

A couple things. One, he is not an authorized dealer, yet insists after selling hundreds of scopes (we've been emailing) that there has never been a problem with the warranty, and that each scope carried the lifetime transferable warranty. I told him that the Zeiss website says that only authorized North America dealers can pass along the lifetime warranty to U.S. buyers. He didn't go into much detail in his answer to this, but said that "Zeiss is wrong". Does anyone out there know more about this? How can Zeiss be wrong about its own policy? This seller claims that he buys from an authorized dealer, and that makes it work. I suppose I can understand it if the ebay buyer is seen as the second buyer, and is benefitting from the fact that the warranty is transferable. But such an interpretation would seem to stretch the intent of Zeiss' warranty rules.

Second point: How can anyone buy a Zeiss 65 scope and then profitably resell it for $899? And apparently do so with "hundreds" of scopes? Eagle Optics price is somewhere around $1400+ for this model, and the best price from an authorized dealer I can find on ebay is $1299 (U.S.). I would ordinarily assume this is just another ebay fraud, but this seller has had several thousand transactions and accumulated a 99.8% positive rating.

Is this "too good to be true", and if so, how to reconcile that with this sellers impressive ebay rating?

A while back there were quite a few Diascopes going for sale thru Sierra trading post that were re furbished and were as low as I think $799 with the zoom. Didn't get one unfortunately, so it could be these are from the same type of source.

Thanks, Dave. I should have thought of that. I just sent off an email to the buyer of last weeks scope, so I'll see what he says.

David, I included a question in my email about whether the scope is refurbished. The ad copy doesn't mention it being refurbished, saying only that it is "brand new", but that might explain the low price. I spoke to an authorized Zeiss dealer, who said that $890 is not a realistic price for a new Zeiss 65 diascope.

I appreciate both replies.

Dave Holmes aka cabin

I bought a straight 65mm Diascope with 15x45 eyepiece for 800 bucks from Sierra last fall. It's just great, seems new. Don't know about the guy on eBay.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back