• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What mode do you shoot in? (1 Viewer)

Leicaman said:
Yet another vote for Aperture priority to get a fast shutter speed.
Yep me too!

The only exception being when shooting in VERY constant lighting conditions.

In which case after working out the exposure via the histogram I then switch to M mode and dial in the aperture and shutter speed.

This stops the meter from taking a fancy to extra bright or dark bits in the frame and spoiling your exposure.

Not an often used tip, but a lifesaver when conditions are right.

varmint308 said:
I am very much a newbie, and I want to know what mode you shoot in most often.

I have a Canon 400D with a 75mm-300mm lens with a 1.4x TC. Please tell me what mode I need to shoot in for best shots...My wife and I actually got the camera to take pictures of our son, but it gives me a good excuse to take pics of birds.

for birds, i use Manual mode,
Spot metering, find a neutral spot (mid grey or grass etc). You very rarely go wrong with this, and it is also a starting point to go creative from there on.

crabplover said:
for birds, i use Manual mode,
Spot metering, find a neutral spot (mid grey or grass etc). You very rarely go wrong with this, and it is also a starting point to go creative from there on.
I dont think there is spot metering on the 400D - nearest is Partial which covers 9% of the frame. This is what I use all the time with the 350D.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back