• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small birds in the forest ID (1 Viewer)

EdvardH

Hi,
Last weekend I visited one of the outer islands on the western coast of Norway. I usually keep most track of seabirds, but I also visited a small forested area where there might have been a number of birds making a stop on their northern migration. Not so sure about those...

(1) Is this a female common linnet? Or could it be a Twite or something?

(2) This doesn't look very black - but I assume this is just a starling in peculiar direct light?

(3) Very bad photo - but any particular ideas?

(4) Fieldfare?

(5) Dunnock?

Attachments

• 140427 feoy ub1_-5.jpg
    140427 feoy ub1_-5.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 140427 feoy ub2_.jpg
    140427 feoy ub2_.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 140427 feoy ub3_.jpg
    140427 feoy ub3_.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 140427 feoy ub4_.jpg
    140427 feoy ub4_.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 94
  • 140427 feoy ub5_jernspurv.jpg
    140427 feoy ub5_jernspurv.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 79
I agree 3 & 5 are dunnock; 2 a starling; 4 a fieldfare.

I find 1 a bit more tricky. I am very familiar with linnet - I ring hundreds every winter - and am convinced the streaking is too black and dense in the throat area particularly. I say convinced because I don't think this blackness is an artefact of the photo.

I am not so familiar with twite, having ringed less than a handful. However, my memory and my books separate them from linnet as having far less marking on the throat - not like this bird at all.

The streaking also seems too dense for redpoll. I have ringed rather more redpoll than twite, but being colour blind I am finding this picture difficult - I cannot see any obvious red.

I wonder if it is a bunting. I can just about convince myself that a female reed bunting could look like this, though again, is it just too black ? Given the habitat, are there other buntings which I have never seen which might be possible ?

Mike.

I see number 1 as being a linnet.

Interesting. I see this bird as having it's head turned slightly to one side. That seems to me to indicate it has central pale area on throat flanked on each side by a large, very dark area, possibly roughly triangular with the point up the way. That does not seem typical of linnet. Although the light is strong, I struggle to see how the colours could be distorted to that extent.

Mike.

This comparison should show how I see it.

The patterns on the left of the face (i.e. the birds right) are not visible due to the angle and the light. The pattern on the right is much exaggerated, again due to the light.

I see the throat as dark - but with the left (birds right...) pale submalar area not visible, making it look like a pale throat with dark borders rather than vice versa.

That is just how I see it though!

Attachments

• 140427 feoy ub1_-5.jpg
    140427 feoy ub1_-5.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 44
  • bird-sightings-linnet-1e.jpg
    bird-sightings-linnet-1e.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 34
Judging by the facial pattern, largish bill and clearly defined black and white stripes on the under side of the tail feathers, I'd say Linnet for #1.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all your posts.

Regarding the linnet or not discussion, I have another (even worse) photo, with the head in a different angle - if that is any help at all.

Seeing the discussion, I'm leaning towards linnet. But the throat area is confusing me still.

Attachments

• 140427 feoy ub1_-2.jpg
    140427 feoy ub1_-2.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 56

Regarding the linnet or not discussion, I have another (even worse) photo, with the head in a different angle - if that is any help at all.

Seeing the discussion, I'm leaning towards linnet. But the throat area is confusing me still.

Linnet !

//Ben

thanks Edvard,

The second photo is not so affected by the light. It shows a linnet :)

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back