• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED82 Focusing lens (1 Viewer)

PIER PAOLO

I have a straight ED82 that I have bought from a forumer few weeks ago.

I use it with two EPs. 30X DS and 50X DS. I have star tested it and I think that it is a very good specimen. The view is stunning and I like it best than my previous Swarowski 65 HD.

But, checking the internal lenses from the obiective lens I have noticed that, laterally, on the 20% external border of the first focusing lens, there is a little area (like a fingerprint) lightly hazed. Everithing else in the internal is absolutely immaculated. No dust, no haze, no scratches, nothing.

Now, the scope should be filled with nitrogen and so I do not think that it could be mould or fungus. Maybe some grease evaporated from the focus mechanism?

Who knows if this can cause image deterioration? Particularly in that position. Any ideas?
Thanks
PP

Last edited:
here are two pics. The first one shows the cleanliness of the internal body and lens, the second one is taken from a specific angle and with a specific inclination of the light to enhance the area with the haze, that is in the low part of the focus lens.

Attachments

• IMG_0370 (1).jpg
    IMG_0370 (1).jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0372 (1).jpg
    IMG_0372 (1).jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 111
Hi Pier

I think you have answered your enquiry yourself by your statement 'the view is stunning'. I suggest the best thing would be to forget about it and to limit your views to those from the other end, i.e. through the eyepiece.

Btw I have the angled version of this scope and greatly enjoy the views through it. I would add that I have no intention of investigating whether or not I can find a similar problem in my scope in case I spot something!

Enjoy your Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back