• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII (1 Viewer)

Brock - truly sorry to pour salt on recent wounds. My apologies sir. Your story sounds just like my kind of luck. Like you, I have been watching for a couple years now and did not see any new E2s listed in US other than on EBAY. I was simply not willing to take that chance. A while ago I saw that amazon US was listing them from vendors in Japan and then, a few days ago, that a couple of the Japanese vendors were now being fulfilled by amazon. This removed my biggest concern, what to do if they arrived damaged, and eliminated shipping and foreign exchange charges, so I went ahead and placed an order. Hope they arrive as advertised. Fingers crossed.

Looks like the E2 is still alive and well in some countries, for now at least. It is still shown in Nikon's 2015 online catalog: http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/nature/x32x35/index.htm

Last edited:
Brock - truly sorry to pour salt on recent wounds. My apologies sir. Your story sounds just like my kind of luck. Like you, I have been watching for a couple years now and did not see any new E2s listed in US other than on EBAY. I was simply not willing to take that chance. A while ago I saw that amazon US was listing them from vendors in Japan and then, a few days ago, that a couple of the Japanese vendors were now being fulfilled by amazon. This removed my biggest concern, what to do if they arrived damaged, and eliminated shipping and foreign exchange charges, so I went ahead and placed an order. Hope they arrive as advertised. Fingers crossed.

Looks like the E2 is still alive and well in some countries, for now at least. It is still shown in Nikon's 2015 online catalog: http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/nature/x32x35/index.htm

It's my own fault. My mamma told me, "Don't get old, son." I should have listened to her. Gen Xers are taking over and kicking baby boomers out the door and replacing us with millennials, who will work for half the wages and a byline. I better stop my rant, I'm beginning to sound like that other old coot, Bill Cook. ;)

It is a crap shoot when you buy sight unseen from overseas, a point I tried to make in my ad. Even though my sample was used, it was "tried and true," verified by a bona fide, long-time user of Nikon porros. Some people would rather gamble on a cheaper price. Speaking of prices.... the EII is a true bargain @ $400. My sample from Captain's Nautical cost a bit more than that 15 years ago. Most consumer goods have increased in price except if they're made in China. The EII is Made in Japan.

According to some Asian members, porros are very popular in Asia, so the EIIs were sold in Europe (I gather not to robust sales) and in Asia. Now they are back...back...."Back in the US of Aaaa."

Let us know what you think of the EII after you've taken it for a test spin.

Brock

Hi Brock,
Do you know what binocular they were for? Do you have a part number or a source? ...[/QUOTE

Jerry gave them to me so I'm not sure (see photo). They might be for a Nikon Action series.

Brock

Attachments

• Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 75
Hi all,

My new E2s arrived this afternoon, a day earlier than initially forecast. They are exactly as advertised: Brand new (black version) in original box with case, strap, manuals, and warranty card (Japan). All literature except warranty card and service center card are in multiple languages, including English.

My first reaction is, they are just as all of you who like them have said - spectacularly sharp and bright. I have been using Nikon 8x30Es for the last 30 years (both old and new coatings) and these E2s are optically superior, to my old eyes at least. Still need to 'break in' the rubber eyecups to conform to my high nose bridge and narrow interpupilary distance, but a couple days out in the park will take care of that.

Certainly the oculars are noticeably larger than my Es, which probably accounts for the wider field of view.

Overall, the experience of purchasing via amazon.com and having amazon fulfill the order worked out just fine. Only wish they knew how to properly package optics for shipment. Should have used padding on all six sides in my opinion. I'll say so in my feedback.

Oh yes, box clearly states that the binoculars are made in Japan and that the case is made in China.

Bruce

Last edited:
Hi all,

My new E2s arrived this afternoon, a day earlier than initially forecast. They are exactly as advertised: Brand new (black version) in original box with case, strap, manuals, and warranty card (Japan). All literature except warranty card and service center card are in multiple languages, including English.

My first reaction is, they are just as all of you who like them have said - spectacularly sharp and bright. I have been using Nikon 8x30Es for the last 30 years (both old and new coatings) and these E2s are optically superior, to my old eyes at least. Still need to 'break in' the rubber eyecups to conform to my high nose bridge and narrow interpupilary distance, but a couple days out in the park will take care of that.

Certainly the oculars are noticeably larger than my Es, which probably accounts for the wider field of view.

Overall, the experience of purchasing via amazon.com and having amazon fulfill the order worked out just fine. Only wish they knew how to properly package optics for shipment. Should have used padding on all six sides in my opinion. I'll say so in my feedback.

Oh yes, box clearly states that the binoculars are made in Japan and that the case is made in China.

Bruce

Bruce,

Glad to hear you like the EII. IMO, it's the best "bang for your buck" out there. You can't buy optics this sharp in a roof w/out spending over $1000, and then you have to jump to $2,600 to get almost as wide a FOV.

Yesterday, I did an eyeball to eyeball to eyeball comparison (the third eye being the "brow chakra" or ajna) with three roofs (two priced in the $300+ range and one in the $200 range) and a 75-buck 7x35 Nikon Aculon porro. Guess which won in apparent resolution*?

Even though 1x lower and costing hundreds of dollars less, I could see more fine detail with the 7x35 Aculon than I could with the 8x42 TED and 8x42 P7. The 8x32 TED was closer, but the cigar goes to the Aculon. :smoke:

The Aculon has aspheric optics, which maximizes the sharpness in the center (well, really off center - down and to the right) but the edges have fairly steep field curvature though most of the edge can be refocused.

* copyright 2010 by Frank D.

Brock

...and a 75-buck 7x35 Nikon Aculon porro. Guess which won in apparent resolution*?

Brock,

Interesting what you have to say about the Aculon. I remember many years ago being asked by a young, new birder what binoculars they should get. Knowing their budget was limited, I recommended what was then called the Naturalist. I believe they were the precursor to the Action series.

For the price the 7x35 Naturalist was pretty darn amazing. Very sharp in the center and quite a bright image. Color rendition was just fine. Not a bad pair of binocs for a beginner birder, and one that could take them quite far into the hobby before they would need to upgrade.

From your description, sounds like the Aculon is even better. Nice to know that those without deep pockets can still get into Birding with inexpensive yet still excellent optics.

Thanks for taking the time to cover the non-alphas. I hate to see people turn away from enjoying binocular related hobbies just because they think (because of marketing hype) that they need to spend $2500 bucks on binoculars; a sum that is out of reach for many.

Bruce

Last edited:
Brock,

Interesting what you have to say about the Aculon. I remember many years ago being asked by a young, new birder what binoculars they should get. Knowing their budget was limited, I recommended what was then called the Naturalist. I believe they were the precursor to the Action series.

For the price the 7x35 Naturalist was pretty darn amazing. Very sharp in the center and quite a bright image. Color rendition was just fine. Not a bad pair of binocs for a beginner birder, and one that could take them quite far into the hobby before they would need to upgrade.

From your description, sounds like the Aculon is even better. Nice to know that those without deep pockets can still get into Birding with inexpensive yet still excellent optics.

Thanks for taking the time to cover the non-alphas. I hate to see people turn away from enjoying binocular related hobbies just because they think (because of marketing hype) that they need to spend $2500 bucks on binoculars; a sum that is out of reach for many.

Bruce

Thanks for the thanks. Thanks to Frank D., too, for covering non-alphas.

No, you don't need to spend $2500 on a binocular to get the "Better View Desired," the 8x30 EII is proof of that.

Most people buy inexpensive binoculars rather than alphas or second tier bins, though you wouldn't think that from looking at all the hits alpha threads get or from the number of BF members who own not just one but two or more alphas.

I think it was this realization by Zeiss that led them to make the Terra ED. Terras don't cost nearly as much per unit, but Zeiss could potentially sell many more units than they can HTs or SFs. Plus, once introduced to the brand, the Terra owner might later become a move-up buyer and buy a Conquest HD or HT or SF rather than the competition. Risky but smart move on Zeiss's part, IMO.

Bin forums like these are more for "enthusiasts" than they are for people making inquiries on what to buy at the entry level or mid-priced level. You will never find the Nissan Versa on the cover of Car & Driver, but you will find cars that cost $60,000 and up on the cover, and people like me who subscribe to C&D to read about them (for $8 a year, $13 for two years, the price is right).

I've owned a muscle car, a sports car, a luxury car, and two compacts. My next vehicle will likely be a well used SUV since I might end of living in it with my cats and Aculon.

Btw, if the eyecups are uncomfortable (I have the same problem, though more so with the SE, which has the same diameter cups but longer), try turning the eyecups upside down and attaching the top of the cup to the EP housing. That will narrow the diameter of the eyecups and perhaps make them fit a bit better.

Brock

I think it was this realization by Zeiss that led them to make the Terra ED. Terras don't cost nearly as much per unit, but Zeiss could potentially sell many more units than they can HTs or SFs. Plus, once introduced to the brand, the Terra owner might later become a move-up buyer and buy a Conquest HD or HT or SF rather than the competition. Risky but smart move on Zeiss's part, IMO.

Btw, if the eyecups are uncomfortable (I have the same problem, though more so with the SE, which has the same diameter cups but longer), try turning the eyecups upside down and attaching the top of the cup to the EP housing. That will narrow the diameter of the eyecups and perhaps make them fit a bit better.
Brock

Brock,

Thanks for the eyecup hint. I tried flipping them during my walk in the park this afternoon, and will flip them back and forth for awhile to see which way works best for me. It does make a noticeable difference for sure.

Those Zeiss Terras sound interesting. I have had trouble with roofs fitting my face in the past, one of the reasons I stick with my trusty porros. As my mom lovingly told me: "Son, you've got a face for radio."

And, speaking of the Terras, seems they can be had at a couple well known retailers until August 31st for $339.99 minus a Zeiss $50 mail-in rebate, which comes out to a pretty decent price of $289.99.

Bruce

An update for ordering an E2 from amazon. Yesterday I ordered one for myself from a Japanese vendor via Amazon, with fulfillment by amazon.com. This means that Amazon is shipping directly to you with full amazon support for returns. A couple other Japanese vendors had Amazon fulfillment advertised as well. I had not seen this possibility before so wanted to give others on the forum a heads up.

Also, the price yesterday was $409.99. I took advantage of the $50 gift card offer for opening an Amazon (Chase) credit card, plus I'll get 3% cash back for using that card. So, total price comes out to just under $350.

I'll update this post as soon as the E2s arrive.

Update 1: just notified they have shipped - from Tennessee
Sweet price. The EII's aren't perfect but for $350 they are hard to beat.

note: you will see very little difference between the Aculons and E's in the CENTER of the field.
It is across the field, especially outside the middle 50%, that the difference occurs.
That's true for any basic and advanced system/eyepiece.
The 8x30 Tasco 320s beat the Aculons for wide-and-sharp, and they aren't even as sharp at the edge as 8x30E's or E-IIs.

You are still free to debate about how much sharpness the human eye can use at 70 degrees apparent,
but it is quite a thrill for some to see.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just an update on my recent E2 purchase. Been using them daily for two weeks now and have adjusted myself to the slightly different hold position as compared to my E's. Now I can snap them up to my face on center pretty much without thinking or fiddling. Certainly, one advantage of the soft case is that I can leave them set at my IPD even when stowed.

I noticed right off how much different the focus is compared to either of my earlier E series. Just 'snaps' to focus making it great for getting quickly on a bird. And, what a brilliant image! I was surprised at just how much better than the E's it actually is. Suppose it is the coatings.

I want to thank all members who have posted about these E2's, which spurred me on to make this purchase. Of course, now, in addition to these E2's, I have an early purple coated 8x30 E, a green coated 8x30 E, two pristine 7x35 purple coated E's, a couple old 8x30 pentaxes (gold and non-gold), and a like-new 1982 308, 8x30 Tasco. And, I'm not even a collector!

I wonder if the quilter's saying about fabric should be reworded to apply to collectors of binoculars:

"Whoever dies with the most binoculars, wins." ;-)

Bruce

Hi from Italy.
A month ago I lent my specimen of SWAROVISION 8.5x42 to a friend ( I was undecided if buy the SF or to wait a possible ( ?  ) release of a new Alpha from Kowa)
Anyway , it is a month I go out with my Nikon 8x30 E II and honestly ..I love it. Usually when I try a cheap binoculars for binomania , I always have a little discomfort , due to the lower optical quality , coloring , misalignment , etc.etc . By the Nikon 8x30 EII: No!.
Even the observation of birds of pray, I think is really awesome, especially in proportion to certain high-quality binoculars with roof prisms . Brock , are you happy ?
Last night , then , I looked at the Milky Way and it was great , even if I have a giant Vixen BT126 to admire the sky. In short : long live the E II ! I asked to Nikon Italy if ever there will be a new version of Nikon SE
but always change the subject.:)

Last edited:
Indeed what a bin! I got so excited when I bought my first EII that I got a second one just in case....while they do not see much use these days (as I prefer other bins), I will keep the EII in my "collection" as one of the classic bins. Peter.

"Whoever dies with the most binoculars, wins." ;-)

Well Bruce - there can't be many folks with the cause of death being recorded as 'death by binocular avalanche', but I suspect that several folks may be getting close...

N.B. Just bought an inexpensive black 8x30 EII to keep my grey one from feeling lonely and if the rumours are true its a bit tougher as well, so less fear of wear and tear.

J

Hi from Italy.
A month ago I lent my specimen of SWAROVISION 8.5x42 to a friend ( I was undecided if buy the SF or to wait a possible ( ?  ) release of a new Alpha from Kowa)
Anyway , it is a month I go out with my Nikon 8x30 E II and honestly ..I love it. Usually when I try a cheap binoculars for binomania , I always have a little discomfort , due to the lower optical quality , coloring , misalignment , etc.etc . By the Nikon 8x30 EII: No!.
Even the observation of birds of pray, I think is really awesome, especially in proportion to certain high-quality binoculars with roof prisms . Brock , are you happy ?
Last night , then , I looked at the Milky Way and it was great , even if I have a giant Vixen BT126 to admire the sky. In short : long live the E II ! I asked to Nikon Italy if ever there will be a new version of Nikon SE
but always change the subject.:)

Happy for you, yes. I had to sell all my EIIs (one ten and three eights) because one of my cats needed expensive veterinary treatment. Three vets, three misdiagnoses, and $2,465 later, I had to put him to sleep. If they had made a proper diagnosis to begin with, he wouldn't have suffered as long and I'd still have at least one EII. Vets go on my Black List right below doctors and lawyers.

I had a friend stash one of the bargain-priced EIIs away for me, so when my pig's feet jars are full again, I will buy it from him. I'm using some loaner roofs now, and while they are decent, one better than decent, the 8x32 Terra ED, I still prefer the porro view.

I also have a 8x32 SE on loan from another friend. Wow! I've tried some expensive roofs, but to me, the EII and SE are still be best optics out there regardless of price (or at least they were, the SE's history).

I don't think there will be a new version of the SE, though it surprises me that they discontinued the SE rather than the EII. Almost all the optics junkies I know have an SE if for no other reason than as a reference standard, and if BF and Cloudy Nights are any judge, more American birders bought SEs than they did EIIs.

Ever since Nikon allowed the EII to be sold in the US again (around the same time I sold my last EII), a lot of people have been buying one and finding out what a little gem it is. So there's still interest in premium porros, particularly when they sell at affordable prices.

Enjoy!

Brock

Last edited:
I`v got a chance to get another mint SE to go with my EII, selling the SE was the worst decision, preferable to the SV IMHO, and still the benchmark.

I`v got a chance to get another mint SE to go with my EII, selling the SE was the worst decision, preferable to the SV IMHO, and still the benchmark.

If I get the chance to get a mint, or even excellent SE, I'm sure to grab it.

Just tested the EIIs against my new Swarvorski 8x25 CL Pocket binocular and the EIIs came out on top for brightness and rendering of small text that was just at my boundary to decipher through the optics. It may all come down to the increased brightness. Now the tests were only at 12ft and 25ft indoors, but I was impressed again. Of course pocket ones were purchased because they can go in a pocket and are very light weight. I must say though the double hinge on them is a bit finicky and you have to fold them back up to put them in the supplied case (as nice as it is). Of course I need to get outside with them for more serious testing to see where each one may perform the best.

Two days and still happy with the EIIs, I expect that to continue. The EII was also easier and faster to get on target. They did take a little wind out of my excitement for the nice pocket binos.

Last edited:
Happy for you, yes. I had to sell all my EIIs (one ten and three eights) because one of my cats needed expensive veterinary treatment. T

Hi from Italy, Brock! I'm very sorry for your cat. Mine was invested last year from a young madman, in front of my house, and my daughter Ersilia saw all: It was a real tragedy. Now we've got another kitten of two months.
I had for some time, both the SE and the EII, but using the SWAROVISION , I chosed to sell the SE, ‘cause I love the E II for its wide field of view. Two years ago I had a course as a voluntary ranger and I give 14 hours of my time per month to volunteer. I am responsible for the oversight of an oasis near the lake of Varese (with another colleague) and we often go on a watchtower, about 20 meters high, to look across the marsh. In this case the EII is really excellent: great panning, large field of view, light and very correct.
I think that we preferred to cease production of the SE, because they had a rival at home, compared to their EDG and HG.
Ciao!
Pier

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back