• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

timwootton said:
Had chance for a couple of hours this morning, once I'd managed to get the kids to school and the design job out of the way. Couldn't possibly do any last night - footie went to penalties, good game.
Nice Tim, I begin to see the light shimmering 'impressionist' styleee. It's great to follow this through from start to finish. You work quickly don't you, that's to be applauded in my book. It means you don't overwork things which can be a problem for me.

Thanks for the Zoco and the comments on my landscape. I don't see myself as a landscape artist and it's great to get such positive feedback from you and everyone else.

My snowy landscape barn owl is turning into a late summer landscape now as a direct result of all the comments so THANKS ALL! I'll let you see progress soon.

Woody

Honestly Tim, I find your work more on the mark than I think you give yourself credit. The simplified palette and the 'economy of burshstrokes' are the very reasons I love your paintings (and sketches). I think the artists you mentioned have moved a little further away from that, without being quite as successful. That is, I don't mean to say these other artists suck, because I think I would be in a heap of trouble for that, but they don't carry across that purity of color and brushstroke, keeping the images fresh, while also keeping it representational as well as they could.

I like 'modern landscape tradition' and your definition behind it. If I don't forget it also, I would like to use it some day, if that is all right with you?

All that said, I really love Peter's work. It is sharp, tight and the complete opposite of anything I would ever do!!

Oh and Woody, keep the landscapes going. I love the light and brushstrokes.
And you GOTTA always put the birds in them right?

Elizabeth - you are welcome back - ANYTIME! - All drinks on the house - er, studio.

Peter - thanks for showing these latest pieces - it's a real insight to see these in progress like this (very brave too, if you don't mind me saying, for a 'realist' to do! - thanks). The waterscape looks to have huge potential, a very remote and romantic scene - love it.

Last edited:
timwootton said:
Had chance for a couple of hours this morning, once I'd managed to get the kids to school and the design job out of the way. Couldn't possibly do any last night - footie went to penalties, good game.

You are excellent at capturing the attitude of birds! This painting is really looking good... I can't wait to see more.
www.mathiosstudios.net

Couldn't do any tonight, either - another storming match. Really unlucky Bolton (well they weren't really) and a grudging well done to The Gunners, close thing for Rangers (who will succeed in the 2nd leg) and I guess well done Tel Aviv (who won't). I DO wish they wouldn't keep putting footie on when I'm supposed to be working - it means I have to sit on my lardy, drinking copious amounts of lager, exercising my larynx at the goggle-box - sooo unfair!
Cheers.

Hey Timmo

stonking pics mate - makes me very jealous that i can't paint half that well.

anyway, we had a great training session tonight, followed by a great game on TV - I too was hoarse when Bolton equalised, all washed down with Champagne (Valentine's dontchooknow) and chocolate coated strawberries.

back on the Stella now though. Looking forward to some more paintings Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Hey Timmo

stonking pics mate - makes me very jealous that i can't paint half that well.

anyway, we had a great training session tonight, followed by a great game on TV - I too was hoarse when Bolton equalised, all washed down with Champagne (Valentine's dontchooknow) and chocolate coated strawberries.

back on the Stella now though. Looking forward to some more paintings Tim
Good lad Tim - Sounds like the break from school is going down well. Sally's got 2 days off now (kids at school still) so we're gonna have some qual. time also - a drive up to Birsay for some landscape painting and then lunch in a country hotel. (Something's bound to go wrong!!!) - Guiness OK for you, sir? - or are we sticking with champers?
cheers.

timwootton said:
Elizabeth - you are welcome back - ANYTIME! - All drinks on the house - er, studio.

SWEEEEEET!

I'm completely snowed in at the time, my hubby is on a job interview, and the only companion I have had all day is my lovely four year old, who I love VERY much, but now that he is asleep I think it is time to request something a little strong...whiskey-something rich and slighty buttery please. Screw the glass, give me that bottle.

birdpotter said:
SWEEEEEET!

I'm completely snowed in at the time, my hubby is on a job interview, and the only companion I have had all day is my lovely four year old, who I love VERY much, but now that he is asleep I think it is time to request something a little strong...whiskey-something rich and slighty buttery please. Screw the glass, give me that bottle.

From an irish viewpoint the score was Arsenal 3 goals, 2 pts. to boltons 1 goal. Real gaelic players would of gone for goal rather than the point....
Flattering score!
Sorry if the thread is making you paint more often Tim, great really though eh? Nice painting, looking forward to seeing the next coat!

Ps: Had a few guiness tonight!

Hi Elizabeth - hope you managed to serve yourself in my absence - please return all bottles. Hope the little'un is being good andd I hope hubby is successful. See ya later.

Hi Alan - although I try to keep as much stock in as possible, real Guiness is infinitely nicer. What was happening with those penalty takers???!!!! For my own part, I thought they'd been watching Johnny Wilkinson.
See ya later.

Progress

Just taken a closer examination of the sketches which are forming the painting in progress and thought I'd post them. Also - here's the small oil painting I did at the time (it's A4 in size).
Quite strange - the original sketches were done on Valentine's Day - exactly one year ago - the painting in the same week. Bit weird!

Attachments

• GBBGSk2.jpg
    GBBGSk2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 232
  • GBBGSk3.jpg
    GBBGSk3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 219
  • GreatB-BGull.jpg
    GreatB-BGull.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3,616
Progress . . .

The trip to Birsay has been postponed - having two scruffy little girls at home, Sal's decided the house needs a fettle - so that's today's job. But it means I get a couple of hours at this piece, which is probably a good job as I'm quickly running out of patience with it. If it doesn't get finished in the next 2 hours - it'll never get finished (cos that's how I work).
So - onwards for the final push - coffee, coffee and yet more . . .

Attachments

• GBBG6.jpg
    GBBG6.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 222
Progress ended

Managed to keep focused to complete it.
"Ancient Marinus" - acrylic on canvas, 20"x16" - Feb, 2007.

Attachments

• GBBGlast.jpg
    GBBGlast.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 251
timwootton said:
Managed to keep focused to complete it.
"Ancient Marinus" - acrylic on canvas, 20"x16" - Feb, 2007.

Hello there

I was within a whisker of posting this morning to ask whether you were going to darken the shadows around the buoy and rope, to match the intensity of those around the gulls- and lo and behold that's exactly what you were busy doing this morning.

So all is well with the world..

ed keeble said:
Hello there

I was within a whisker of posting this morning to ask whether you were going to darken the shadows around the buoy and rope, to match the intensity of those around the gulls- and lo and behold that's exactly what you were busy doing this morning.

So all is well with the world..
Cheers Ed - it's supposed to be scattered seaweed, but it has shadows within it. She sits on a bed of it regularly while he stands about waiting to be required for something.

Last edited:
It has been really interesting watching your progress and process.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
When I get in the mood to paint I usually find an old scrap piece of plywood or something similar and paint on that. It seems to be my canvas of choice. Is that just wrong for me to be so in love with painting on wood?

Your painting is beautiful...

Very nice! The painting is absolutely beautiful and I especially like the play of complimentary colors. I was having some fun clicking between the one just before completion and the completed painting and it was interesting to see the final details you added. They made a real difference. What will you do with the finished painting?

Thanks for posting the progression.
www.mathiosstudios.net

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back