• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Photography (1 Viewer)

normancd

My wife and I plan to travel to Panama to photograph birds. There will be hummingbirds that we'd like to photograph if we can.

We will be using Nikon D200's, with either a Sigma 50-500 mm zoom or a Sigma 300-800 mm super zoom. We'll also have Nikkor 80-400 mm VR lenses, light but rigid Gitzo carbon fiber or basalt tripods with Markins ball heads, and Nikon SB-800 electronic flash units with better beamer boosters.

It seems that superb hummingbird photography requires a studio setup with multiple strobe units. But our question is, what is the best way to get good hummingbird photos with the equipment we have? Can you refer us to a book or web site for good advice?

Hola Norman,

With approx. 60 different species of hummingbirds Panama will indeed keep you extremely busy.

I am not a photographer but when trying to photograph hummingbirds, it is best to visit a lodge or site with hummingbird feeders, where the birds will stay close-by. Once you determine the favourite natural perch a bird has, it should be easy to set up your tripod/camera to get a good shot. Some lodges have the birds so used to people that sometimes they allow you to stay very close to them.
I would recommend staying or visiting Canopy Tower, Canopy Lodge, and Los Quetzales.

Enjoy Panama !

Warm regards,
Guido

Guido C. Berguido
Biologist - Operations Manager
Advantage Tours Panama
"Adventures in nature with the local Advantage"

P.O. Box 0801-00051
Republic of Panama
Tel. 011-507-6676-2466
fax: 011-507-221-9246
e.mail: [email protected]
web: www.advantagepanama.com

Norman,

Another great place for hummers in the Panamanian highlands is Cielito Sur (www.cielitosur.com). Besides feeders, this B&B has nice grounds that provide more natural looking perches. See my gallery for some examples of what you can expect (all pictures taken with a cheap 300mm lens and built-in flash, you should do a lot better). The birds there are very used to people. Depending on when you go, you may even be able to see several nests up close. Last time I went (March 2005), there was a Green Violet-ear nest in the flower pot hanging in front of my room door, and another one next to the jacuzzi. If you decide to go there, please say hi to Janet and Glenn for me. Warning: Janet's breakfasts are delicious!

I agree with Guido regarding the Canopy Tower and Canopy Lodge: These are probably the best places for photographing the hummingbirds of Central Panama. They also have excellent guides.

Cedric

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back