• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Oliver,

Just to reiterate and reinforce some things said above.Firstly I don't know you, how old you are nor indeed anyone else in this thread; this is not a personal attack nor do I have any axe to grind; I'm not a (resident) Norfolk birder.
Simply put do you want people to say:-

"Oliver's found a Radde's at The Dell! Quick get your gear and lets go!!"
or
"Oliver's reported a Radde's at The Dell!Probably another Chiffy"

It's all about respect and building a rapport with those around you and that can be best
achieved by birding with your peeers, betters and elders. Learning from them and in return getting them onto birds you've found is best. I'm certain there would have been kudos to spare if you could have phoned some Sheringham regulars to give them a 'heads-up' on the CShears. Reputations take some time and effort to build but can be trashed/destroyed in days thanks to the internet!! My experience of Norfolk as a visiting birder is that there are are host of talented resident and visiting birders who've always been friendly, knowledgeable and helpful to me. By the same token there are shed loads of people with "his-and-hers" matching Country Innovation coats,
Swaros/Leica/Collins Guides who've travelled the world birding and still can't identify a juvenile Gannet! I've even been challenged by inexperienced people at Cley regarding Dunnock i.d; when I left they still didn't believe me!! Seriously though the 'honeypot that is the North Norfolk coast must be the best part of the country to hone your birding skills and contribute records. Being young, keen and having sharp eyes are attributes which I'm sure you have and which I wish I still had. Find a good bird or two (nor necessarily megas), get the local guys(and indeed Penny and Sue!!)
onto it and people's opinion will change.
Russ
PS I had a Great Reed Wbr discounted by my 'elders' when I was a young teen; I can still hear the bl**ddy thing 'Cara-cara.. gurk-gurk.. kree-kree' and see it dwarfing a Reed Wbr!

Titchwell September 15th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 6 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 6 on saltmarsh
Spoonbill – 1 west
Manx shearwater – 4 offshore

Paul

Bearded Tits were showing really well beside the beach path at Twitchwell today. I say bearded tits but of course I haven't been birding since I was in a pram and I didn't write an in depth description so maybe they were Red Kite. In fact forget I said anything I would hate to upset anyones sensibilities. I am really going to need a crowbar to get this tongue out of my cheek.

Lets hope they weren't Red Kite! That would be far too unlikely for people to sensibly discuss and comprehend!
It seems as though unless something is absolutely certain then it is deemed impossible!

Oliver,

Just to reiterate and reinforce some things said above.Firstly I don't know you, how old you are nor indeed anyone else in this thread; this is not a personal attack nor do I have any axe to grind; I'm not a (resident) Norfolk birder.
Simply put do you want people to say:-

"Oliver's found a Radde's at The Dell! Quick get your gear and lets go!!"
or
"Oliver's reported a Radde's at The Dell!Probably another Chiffy"

It's all about respect and building a rapport with those around you and that can be best
achieved by birding with your peeers, betters and elders. Learning from them and in return getting them onto birds you've found is best. I'm certain there would have been kudos to spare if you could have phoned some Sheringham regulars to give them a 'heads-up' on the CShears. Reputations take some time and effort to build but can be trashed/destroyed in days thanks to the internet!! My experience of Norfolk as a visiting birder is that there are are host of talented resident and visiting birders who've always been friendly, knowledgeable and helpful to me. By the same token there are shed loads of people with "his-and-hers" matching Country Innovation coats,
Swaros/Leica/Collins Guides who've travelled the world birding and still can't identify a juvenile Gannet! I've even been challenged by inexperienced people at Cley regarding Dunnock i.d; when I left they still didn't believe me!! Seriously though the 'honeypot that is the North Norfolk coast must be the best part of the country to hone your birding skills and contribute records. Being young, keen and having sharp eyes are attributes which I'm sure you have and which I wish I still had. Find a good bird or two (nor necessarily megas), get the local guys(and indeed Penny and Sue!!)
onto it and people's opinion will change.
Russ
PS I had a Great Reed Wbr discounted by my 'elders' when I was a young teen; I can still hear the bl**ddy thing 'Cara-cara.. gurk-gurk.. kree-kree' and see it dwarfing a Reed Wbr!

I do see your point Russ. The way I see it is that if I have no idea about something I will ask, which I did do with the Cory's the other night and had it confirmed by 3 birders present.
It would be nice to one day feel like people could rely on my sightings, I do spend a lot of time wondering around looking for birds and there is an idealistic side of me that would love it if someone else could experience some of the sightings I have had.
I put the Cory's sighting out in good faith, a genuine belief that it is what I saw and that it had been confirmed by others, I was not expecting a backlash of this kind.
Ultimately if people do want to be able to contact me, due to how active I am as a birder, then thats fantastic and I will welcome it with open arms. As I said in an earlier post, I welcome critics, as long as it is diplomatic and reasonable.
Ultimately I am happy with what I saw, I may never convince others but I would not have reported such a bird had it not been through genuine belief that it was what I saw.

Having not had my enthusiasm broken by recent events I spent 3 hours at Holkham woods today with only 6 Little Grebe sighted on one of the ponds west of Lady Ann's drive.
An afternoon sea watch from 3:00-4:30pm produced the following:
est 250 Gannets (60 Adults)
17 Cormorants
1 Fulmar
1 Sandwich Tern
12 Common Scoter (distant so not presuming otherwise)
2 Red-Throated Diver
1 Arctic Skua
2 Great Skua
1 Manx Shearwater
1 Guillemot on sea

Don't blame you! Certainly the last time I will be!

I really hope not, but also really hope you'll be saying how you got others onto it and that you were able to discuss the reasons why it was Cory's and not eg Fulmar.

PS Harris Hawk and Marsh Harriers showing well around Guist, as well as 8+ Common Buzzard. A Grey Wagtail was on the bridge this am.

PPS Dave A are you suggesting I'm 'nice diplomatic people'!

PPPS Looks like a passerine window opening up tomorrow, here's hoping!!

I really hope not, but also really hope you'll be saying how you got others onto it and that you were able to discuss the reasons why it was Cory's and not eg Fulmar.

Well as I think I said in an earlier post I discussed the bird with others present a little after it went through.
I gave a movement location, description and time of sighting to those present and they confirmed that my description matched that of their own.
They seemed pretty satisfied about what I had seen from my descriptions.

Are you sure you mean crowbar? It might be safer to refer to it as a corvidbar, unless you have a time-served burglar accompanying you.

Ron

Apologies for the glaring error. Seriously it was a very good day at Twitchwell got some lovely shots of the beardies ( and the birds they were watching <Sorry just can't stop myself>) and the curlew sandpipers mixing with the ringed plover. It was lovely to see so many people out enjoying themselves the hides were busy and there was a constant stream of people on the walkways.

Apologies for the glaring error. Seriously it was a very good day at Twitchwell got some lovely shots of the beardies ( and the birds they were watching <Sorry just can't stop myself>) and the curlew sandpipers mixing with the ringed plover. It was lovely to see so many people out enjoying themselves the hides were busy and there was a constant stream of people on the walkways.
It sounds wonderful. I would much rather have been enjoying myself there than stuck here at work.

Ron

Mega

For the pager-less: a Fea’s Petrel flew N past North Denes, Lowestoft, at 1800h. Thus, it should have reached E. Norfolk waters by now.

'Tarsiger': you may not have seen my #13038, but I did credit the people who promptly reported their goodies to RBA. We did not see them (Cory’s, Pom & LtSkua) go past Sheringham because we did not see them go past Sheringham, that’s all.

My telescope is on its way to cley but without me, if the person borrowing it sees the fea's through my scope I will a) kill them or b) count it on my list !!

Talking about making mistakes, I was on my post round in the middle of Long Stratton this morning when four sparrow-sized birds flew low north giving a distinct twanging call as they went. They caught me a bit on the hop so I stood there and weighed up the calls for a few seconds and in that time I was seduced big time. The direct no-nonsense flight at this time of year, they HAD to be migrant TREE SPARROWS - a major new addition to my post round list.
I finished delivering the estate and went home for my mid-morning break and immediately played Tree Sparrow flight calls on the bird song CD expecting to have confirmed what I already knew.
But no, the call didn't match. In my battle against my pride I started trying to convince myself that there's lots of variation in all bird calls but the honest truth was knawing at me - just like one of the 'orrible dogs on my post round knawing at my ankle! I had made a mistake. I began playing calls of other similar sized finches and buntings seeking an answer to my puzzlement and with good grace I found it. They were YELLOWHAMMERS!! - which can be found in most of the fields surrounding the village at all times of year. I thought I was well gened up on Tree Sparrow calls because I keep regular tabs on two small breeding populations around here but clearly in a given situation, this goes to show how easy it is to fool yourself.
I think its ok to make the odd mistake, particularly if you realise quite soon after the event that you made it, and you will then move forward from it and ultimately benefit in the long term.
Even if you dont realise if you've made a mistake and have false records on your list thats also ok (every single birder in the UK will have something identified wrongly on their records if they keep them) but try not to do it too often and keep trying not to make any more mistakes even though you will.

Of course, Stuart: 24/7/365.

It’s even backlit, now, with the glow from the various vessels connected with the massive fans to the north: “Twinkle, twinkle, little wind-farm.”

Wind-farm ? As if one actually could grow baked beans and then harvest the effects.

With the wind (the real wind, this time) having veered to the east, what odds that the Fea’s will be seen off The Netherlands tomorrow ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back