• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

Phil, if the last Eider in Worcestershire was the 10th record, it would make the Clifton bird the 11th. Found on the 11th day of the 11th month, two thousand an ELEVEN.
Sorry it was'nt at 11 o'clock; maybe a few more birders would have got to see it!

After an abortive visit to Bittell I arrived at about 10.15 at the Moors Pool for the Pintail that had been found this morning. A female, it was rather elusive from the east hide as it kept moving into the lagoon area, but it eventually showed well around the islands. Numbers of other wildfowl had increased slightly, I'm sure John, Phil or Dave will fill in the numbers later. However Mute Swans had increased to 15 across the reserve (12 Moors, 2 N.Moors & 1 S.Pool). There was little on the flashes, apart from a Wood Mouse feeding on the just past the bridge to the Hen Pool hide - I'll post apic later. On the subject of hides, the tower hide has now been demolished, with the new one scheduled to be in place by 24th of this month.

Mike

Today's Pintail was my 141st species at Upton this year and very gratifying after missing the previous ones a few weeks ago. Thanks to John and Mike for the texts.

The young Ostrich running around the paddock was an Upton first for me...can't count that one though. 8-P

Attachments

• Pintail Moors 121111.jpg
    Pintail Moors 121111.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Ostrich Moors Paddock.JPG
    Ostrich Moors Paddock.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 96
An all-dayer started at the Moors 7.45am, almost immediately picked up the pintail but no sign of yesterdays goldeneye. After the heavy, rain threatening dark clouds lifted, you could have been fooled into it being a spring day, unfortunately the avifauna didn't reflect it.
Totals as follows:
GCGC 4, little grebe 3, Shoveler 24, teal 45, Mallard 60, Tufted 28, Pochard 18, Cormorant 19, coot c165, water rail calling from all suitable habitats, Snipe c10+, lapwing 450 min, curlew 10, Herring gull 12 mostly straight through, LBBG less than 10, BHG's 200, Buzzard 2, Kingfisher 2, great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker, redwing 10, blackbird c10, song thrush singing, mistle thrush 2, raven 4, goldcrest,
vis mig skylark 5, meadow pipit c10, grey wagtail.

The Flashes were a bit quiet
Walked around to check for jack snipe unfortunately there weren't any, however 18 common snipe were flushed out. Also 28 Teal, a flock of thrushes number about 200 with slightly more redwings than fieldfare. Redpoll
I'll be back again tomorrow for some more.
B :)john

Last edited:
The 15 Mute Swans present today across the reserve was the largest number I have ever personally seen at Upton and the best count since 18 in late October 2004. That count was blostered by three pairs successfully breeding over the summer of 2004 whilst today's presence included only one juvenile (raised elsewhere). The record count of 50 swans on 22nd December 1952 must have been quite a sight.

A chart of peak annual counts is attached below:

Attachments

• Mute Swan.jpg
    Mute Swan.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 70
Six Golden Plovers just flew north over the moors pool. That equals the record for me. Thanks to Dave Jackson who first spotted them

3 Wigeon,1 male and 2 female dropped onto the Moors also this morning.

Photo of the Wigeon below. Also seen today: 2 Peregrines (one caught a Lapwing), 5 Lesser Redpolls, 1 Siskin, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Common Gull (ad), 1 Blackcap (male), several Skylarks and Meadow Pipits over.

3 Roe Deer and 2+ Pipistrelles at dusk.

Attachments

• Wigeon Moors 131111.jpg
    Wigeon Moors 131111.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 85
Photo of the Wigeon below. Also seen today: 2 Peregrines (one caught a Lapwing), 5 Lesser Redpolls, 1 Siskin, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Common Gull (ad), 1 Blackcap (male), several Skylarks and Meadow Pipits over.

3 Roe Deer and 2+ Pipistrelles at dusk.

And a Peregrine caught a Linnet on the Flashes. Also Grey Wagtail. And heard Golden Plover but not counting it.:-C

At the Flashes this afternoon until dark.
BHG roost was at least 1500 with 2 LBBG and 2 herrings.
A starling flock numbering at least 600 birds roosted in the 3rd Flash reed bed.

At the Moors the pochard had increased to 20 something , Dave knows the exact number.
Water rail continued to call from all the wetland areas including the education reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back