• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spot the errors quiz - UK (1 Viewer)

robinm

I took my grandchildren to Port Lympne Wildlife Park the other day (they loved it).

I was reading the glossy brochure when I got home and got to the page about native wildlife on the site (it is a huge place). However, the person who selected the photos wasn't too careful.

So "Spot the Errors" - there are several.

Attachments

• portlympne.jpg
    portlympne.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 248
Treecreeper is not a Treecreeper but a new world creeper, the Lapwing is a Wattled Plover (?), the Kestrel is a Peregrine and the Redwing is a red-winged Blackbird. I'd also be very surprised if there are any Dunlin on site. I don't know much about Butterflies.

it's a red-winged blackbird (NA species) and they sometimes just call it redwing. comes to show what the internet does with name and content. my hair stands on end when i see pics of birds taken from google images for e.g. the danube delta map and what you see are brown pelicans...

Last edited:
I guess the problems have arisen as the pictures have been taken from stock photos and used without the benefit of local, expert knowledge. After all, the pictures of redwing, lapwing, and treecreeper do indeed show "redwing", "lapwing" and "treecreeper" just not the relevant species of Redwing, (Northern) Lapwing and (Eurasian) Treecreeper. Not sure how the hairstreak became a Brown Argus though.

I guess the problems have arisen as the pictures have been taken from stock photos and used without the benefit of local, expert knowledge. After all, the pictures of redwing, lapwing, and treecreeper do indeed show "redwing", "lapwing" and "treecreeper" just not the relevant species of Redwing, (Northern) Lapwing and (Eurasian) Treecreeper. Not sure how the hairstreak became a Brown Argus though.

or how the peregrine became a kestrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back