• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera settings for digiscoping (cp990/995/4500) (1 Viewer)

Christine,

It sounds like both your pan and tilt action is controlled by the one handle. My first tripod, a Velbon, did this and I found it annoying that this did not provide a rigid lock. Also the very act of tightening the handle moved the field of view. This was a problem even when using only the scope without the camera attached.

I now have a Manfrotto tripod where the pan and tilt are controlled independently by two very strong screws. The handle is merely to move the head around. I find this tripod very easy to use and the scope does not move as the screws are tightened.

Thank you

:frog:
Andy Bright said:
The camera settings used for digiscoping are one of the most frequent requests that I receive, so I thought it would be an idea to state my own and to invite others to share their own settings with the forum.
It would be understandable to assume that every digiscoper would use the same settings.... this isn't the case and there seems to be several ways to reach the same goal. The following settings are for the major digiscoping cameras, the Nikon cp990, cp995 and the cp4500.... some of these may be applicable to other Nikon coolpix cameras and maybe cameras from other manufacturers.

First off, it's important to use your camera in a manual or semi-automatic mode.... programme and auto modes can often give you inappropriate exposure settings for bird photography, maybe giving you a slower shutter-speed in preference to a higher aperture value... the latter is totally irrelevant for digiscoping, extra depth of field is unlikely and far less important than freezing any movement.

Full Manual:
You choose shutter-speed and aperture value....you can judge if the photo will be over/under exposed by the linear exposure meter.

Aperture Priority:
You set the aperture value (lowest available setting is vital) and the camera works out what shutter-speed is appropriate for the given light

Shutter-Priority:
Where you set the shutter-speed and the camera sets the appropriate aperture value for the given light.
I use full manual and tend to under-expose slightly by choosing a slightly faster shutter-speed than the camera recommends to freeze bird/camera movement as much as possible... Correct exposure is often subjective but blur isn't, anyway under-exposure can be rescued in Photoshop, though over-exposure is very difficult to rectify.
Aperture priority is a fairly reliable mode and may be the best bet when the bird is active and you need to get a shot off quickly.

Focus modes:
There is always some debate about what mode produces the sharpest images. I have tried them all over the last 3 1/2 years and still come to the conclusion the 'Macro' (flower symbol) produce the best images. 'Infinity' is handy if you have obstructions (branches/reeds and similar) between the camera and subject as you simply focus on the subject until sharp and the camera will take the shot without trying to find a focus lock itself.
If you do utilise the latter, try to do it with the camera in 'manual focus' with the distance set to infinity rather than using the main 'Infinity' (mountain symbol) focus setting, this seems to give slightly improved results.

In the actual camera menus:

White Balance:
Leave it on Auto, ... you can have a play around with the White Balance preset if you have a white object in view for the camera to take a reading, though not really worth the bother as you can rectify most problems in Photoshop.

Metering:
Now this is quite important as it determines where the camera takes its light reading of the image from, so as to correctly expose the image... Best to ignore matrix metering as it can often lead to the wrong exposure for a small bird against a light/dark background, though if the bird dominates the view it o.k. Spot Metering is useful as the camera will only take a light reading from the centre spot (hopefully where the subject is)... exposing the subject correctly but to hell with the background.
An in-between metering mode is 'Centre Weighted' or 'Partial Spot'..... The camera will concentrate on exposing for the centre spot but doesn't totally ignore the lighting of the background.
Finally, and in combination with a focus mode we will get to later, we have 'Spot AF Area' metering. basically spot metering but at different points around the image. I tend to use this for most of my shots, that's why my backgrounds look too dark or bright!

Continuous:
Fairly straight forward in that you can choose to shoot one shot at a time or a series of shots (about 6 for full size images on the cp4500). Handy to take a burst of shots in quick succession in that you're more likely to capture a good pose with an active bird (diving Ducks)... just delete the crap ones afterwards. There is a price to be paid for using 'Continuous mode' as you will have a fairly long wait while these images are written to the memory card (feels like an eternity if the bird is suddenly posing beautifully).
You can take a single shot whilst in 'Continuous mode', but the write-to-card time is slightly longer than if the image had been taken in 'Single mode'.
There are other multi-shot shooting options, but these can only be used when using lower quality image settings.

BSS:
Nikon's amazing feature for getting sharp images with shaky hands, unfortunately not much use for birds that are moving. The camera keeps taking photos as long as you have the shutter button pressed down, you take your finger off and it will only save what it regards as the sharpest image. A moving subject will totally throw it off, but it can be used for static birds.

Image Adjustment:
This controls the contrast in the final image. Best left on normal, though I prefer low contrast on the cp4500 to help keep blown-out highlights to a minimum. You can always boost contrast in-computer with far more control.

Saturation:
Best left on normal setting. Auto settings on any of the image adjustment controls can leave you at the mercy of the camera's 'brain'.

Sharpening:
See above.

Image Quality:
Always on 'Fine'. This saves the image at a low jpeg compression ratio.... you can't really see any jpeg artefacts in the results. 'Hi' will save the image as an uncompressed Tiff, so this is the ultimate for quality but you'll be waiting 20+ secs before the image is written to the memory card and you can take another shot.

Image Size:
Keep on 2272x1704, which is the maximum size. May be tempting for 35mm people to use 2272x1520 for 3:2 format images rather than 4:3... but a waste of time and pixels as you can crop to 3:2 in-computer.

Focus Options: (3 Sub-menus)

AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick). This handy for 'nice' compositions with the bird off-centre.
You may have guessed by now that the 'Spot AF Area' metering mode that I mentioned earlier is linked to these focus targets... you will get spot metering over the active target (active target is highlighted red on the screen).
I'd recommend using 'AF Area Mode' in manual combined with the 'Spot AF Area' metering mode... if nothing else it will help the camera focus on what you want it to rather than some twig in the bottom of the image (even that's not foolproof).

Auto-Focus Mode:
Absolutely vital to switch it to 'Single AF', seems to be the default setting these days.... but check it if your camera is constantly searching for something to lock onto when you're in a manual/semi-auto mode.

Focus Confirmation:
Tricky one.... highlights the area in-focus on your screen, so you can focus your scope and know when the subject is in-focus because it 'twinkles' (for want of a better word). It can make your eyes go a bit funny on the older Nikons, better on the newer ones. Not totally reliable and I find my own judgement of what is in perfect focus to be more reliable on many occasions, so have it switched off. If I go through a rough patch of 'iffy' photos I'll switch it on again in desperation.... but usually switch it off again when I realise something else was to blame for the 'iffy' pics.
Focus Confirmation can make the view look very 'bitty' when used with an Extend-a-view sunshade2x loupe.

That's about it for my settings.... what about yours?
Andy B

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post this article. It's midnight in my part of the world and I can hardly wait for the sunrise to apply this new found knowledge. What would us newbee's do without you.

Warmest regards,

Mickey Jay

Mickey ,without this Forum and the help we receive esp re digiscoping I think there would not be as many people using this method of photography with the success they have.I do not know of your whereabouts,as to whether or not you live in a small village off the beaten track,but I do here in Cumbria.The nearest place which sells a digi camera is 30 mls away.May not seem far,but to get there ,one has to drive on one of the most dangerous roads in the country.So this Forum has taught me all I need to know re digiscoping,ie camera settings etc.I do not have access to a camera club,I have never seen anyone else digiscoping in the village,even at peak holiday times,when the place is full of holidaymakers all wearing digicameras hung around their necks.So again my only place of contact has been this Forum.
So,yes Mickey,we have a great deal thank BF for ,and everyone who gives their time to help and advise.

Christine,I got a Manfrotto sliding plate to mount my Swaro on,this means you can slide the scope backwards or forwards thus altering the point of balance and I have found this most handy.Price around £30 from Jessops.

Andy, Tried the settings at the weekend, with a DTL opticron eyepiece purchased from Rogerscoth on Fri. with my I Magic 80. 1st impressions where very good, by far better than any previous outings, though the Low Contrast didn't work for me, better on normal. Hope I'll have the courage to post one of my photo's in the future.

Thanks again Mick A.

Geoff Pain said:
Christine,I got a Manfrotto sliding plate to mount my Swaro on,this means you can slide the scope backwards or forwards thus altering the point of balance and I have found this most handy.Price around £30 from Jessops.
Geoff,thanks for the info.Does it work with any Manfrotto head.I am using a 125 head,I think.I'll give Jessops a call tommorrow.
Thankyou.

Andy Bright said:
The camera settings used for digiscoping are one of the most frequent requests that I receive, so I thought it would be an idea to state my own and to invite others to share their own settings with the forum.
It would be understandable to assume that every digiscoper would use the same settings.... this isn't the case and there seems to be several ways to reach the same goal. The following settings are for the major digiscoping cameras, the Nikon cp990, cp995 and the cp4500.... some of these may be applicable to other Nikon coolpix cameras and maybe cameras from other manufacturers.

First off, it's important to use your camera in a manual or semi-automatic mode.... programme and auto modes can often give you inappropriate exposure settings for bird photography, maybe giving you a slower shutter-speed in preference to a higher aperture value... the latter is totally irrelevant for digiscoping, extra depth of field is unlikely and far less important than freezing any movement.

Full Manual:
You choose shutter-speed and aperture value....you can judge if the photo will be over/under exposed by the linear exposure meter.

Aperture Priority:
You set the aperture value (lowest available setting is vital) and the camera works out what shutter-speed is appropriate for the given light

Shutter-Priority:
Where you set the shutter-speed and the camera sets the appropriate aperture value for the given light.
I use full manual and tend to under-expose slightly by choosing a slightly faster shutter-speed than the camera recommends to freeze bird/camera movement as much as possible... Correct exposure is often subjective but blur isn't, anyway under-exposure can be rescued in Photoshop, though over-exposure is very difficult to rectify.
Aperture priority is a fairly reliable mode and may be the best bet when the bird is active and you need to get a shot off quickly.

Focus modes:
There is always some debate about what mode produces the sharpest images. I have tried them all over the last 3 1/2 years and still come to the conclusion the 'Macro' (flower symbol) produce the best images. 'Infinity' is handy if you have obstructions (branches/reeds and similar) between the camera and subject as you simply focus on the subject until sharp and the camera will take the shot without trying to find a focus lock itself.
If you do utilise the latter, try to do it with the camera in 'manual focus' with the distance set to infinity rather than using the main 'Infinity' (mountain symbol) focus setting, this seems to give slightly improved results.

White Balance:
Leave it on Auto, ... you can have a play around with the White Balance preset if you have a white object in view for the camera to take a reading, though not really worth the bother as you can rectify most problems in Photoshop.

Metering:
Now this is quite important as it determines where the camera takes its light reading of the image from, so as to correctly expose the image... Best to ignore matrix metering as it can often lead to the wrong exposure for a small bird against a light/dark background, though if the bird dominates the view it o.k. Spot Metering is useful as the camera will only take a light reading from the centre spot (hopefully where the subject is)... exposing the subject correctly but to hell with the background.
An in-between metering mode is 'Centre Weighted' or 'Partial Spot'..... The camera will concentrate on exposing for the centre spot but doesn't totally ignore the lighting of the background.
Finally, and in combination with a focus mode we will get to later, we have 'Spot AF Area' metering. basically spot metering but at different points around the image. I tend to use this for most of my shots, that's why my backgrounds look too dark or bright!

Continuous:
Fairly straight forward in that you can choose to shoot one shot at a time or a series of shots (about 6 for full size images on the cp4500). Handy to take a burst of shots in quick succession in that you're more likely to capture a good pose with an active bird (diving Ducks)... just delete the crap ones afterwards. There is a price to be paid for using 'Continuous mode' as you will have a fairly long wait while these images are written to the memory card (feels like an eternity if the bird is suddenly posing beautifully).
You can take a single shot whilst in 'Continuous mode', but the write-to-card time is slightly longer than if the image had been taken in 'Single mode'.
There are other multi-shot shooting options, but these can only be used when using lower quality image settings.

BSS:
Nikon's amazing feature for getting sharp images with shaky hands, unfortunately not much use for birds that are moving. The camera keeps taking photos as long as you have the shutter button pressed down, you take your finger off and it will only save what it regards as the sharpest image. A moving subject will totally throw it off, but it can be used for static birds.

Image Adjustment:
This controls the contrast in the final image. Best left on normal, though I prefer low contrast on the cp4500 to help keep blown-out highlights to a minimum. You can always boost contrast in-computer with far more control.

Saturation:
Best left on normal setting. Auto settings on any of the image adjustment controls can leave you at the mercy of the camera's 'brain'.

Sharpening:
See above.

Image Quality:
Always on 'Fine'. This saves the image at a low jpeg compression ratio.... you can't really see any jpeg artefacts in the results. 'Hi' will save the image as an uncompressed Tiff, so this is the ultimate for quality but you'll be waiting 20+ secs before the image is written to the memory card and you can take another shot.

Image Size:
Keep on 2272x1704, which is the maximum size. May be tempting for 35mm people to use 2272x1520 for 3:2 format images rather than 4:3... but a waste of time and pixels as you can crop to 3:2 in-computer.

AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick). This handy for 'nice' compositions with the bird off-centre.
You may have guessed by now that the 'Spot AF Area' metering mode that I mentioned earlier is linked to these focus targets... you will get spot metering over the active target (active target is highlighted red on the screen).
I'd recommend using 'AF Area Mode' in manual combined with the 'Spot AF Area' metering mode... if nothing else it will help the camera focus on what you want it to rather than some twig in the bottom of the image (even that's not foolproof).

Auto-Focus Mode:
Absolutely vital to switch it to 'Single AF', seems to be the default setting these days.... but check it if your camera is constantly searching for something to lock onto when you're in a manual/semi-auto mode.

Focus Confirmation:
Tricky one.... highlights the area in-focus on your screen, so you can focus your scope and know when the subject is in-focus because it 'twinkles' (for want of a better word). It can make your eyes go a bit funny on the older Nikons, better on the newer ones. Not totally reliable and I find my own judgement of what is in perfect focus to be more reliable on many occasions, so have it switched off. If I go through a rough patch of 'iffy' photos I'll switch it on again in desperation.... but usually switch it off again when I realise something else was to blame for the 'iffy' pics.
Focus Confirmation can make the view look very 'bitty' when used with an Extend-a-view sunshade2x loupe.

Andy B

I'm trying to use Andy's settings . Have a Coopix 4500, Eagle Optics Raven straight through 20/60, Simplicity Tool swing out adapter.(which, I recall, was developed by a BF member), a Nikon remote cable, and am having the devils own time. at age 85 I have a mind like a steel trap. Everything goes in and I can't get anything back out.

1. Full Manual:
Question: Where on earth do I find the linear exposure meter?

AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick).

Where is the mini joystick?

2. A big problem seems to be lining up camera and scope using this adapter.
Question: When everthing is in alignment and I'm trying to focus using the scope (camera in macro mode) should I be seing the image as a circle in the middle of the monitor, or full sceen as if the scope were not there.? The circle I'm getting is so small I can't begin to focus.
TIA
Craig :egghead:

Hi Craig.

craig whitmore said:
1. Full Manual:
Question: Where on earth do I find the linear exposure meter?
This visual exposure indicator should appear at the bottom of the monitor. It gives an indication as to whether the photo will be over-exposed or under-exposed. Altering the shutter speed and/or the aperture will cause the little segments to light up one or the other side of the central segment... a correct exposure (according to the camera's light metering system) will show just the central segment illuminated.

I would strongly suggest using Aperture priority instead of full manual, just keep the f-number as low as it can go.
craig whitmore said:
AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick).
Where is the mini joystick?
It is the little tranluscent button below the monitor. It's actually a 4-way toggle switch and push button combined.

craig whitmore said:
2. A big problem seems to be lining up camera and scope using this adapter.
Question: When everthing is in alignment and I'm trying to focus using the scope (camera in macro mode) should I be seing the image as a circle in the middle of the monitor, or full sceen as if the scope were not there.? The circle I'm getting is so small I can't begin to focus.
TIA
Craig :egghead:
How large this image circle is, or whether it is there at all, is down to the specifications of eyepiece and how close the camera lens is to the eyepiece. Zooming in with the camera's lens should enlarge the image circle and hopefully you should be presented with a full image on the monitor well before you reach maximum camera zoom.

If, for some reason, you cannot get an image large enough to ascertain correct focus, you can try using the digital zoom feature of the camera (keep pressing the zoom + control until the zoom indicator turns yellow), fine tune the focus like this and then zoom back into normal (non-digital zoom) to take the shot. Using the extend-a-view pro monitor shade/magnifier would also help enlarge the image view for fine focus.

cheers,
Andy

Camera, adapter help

Andy,

Really impressed with how giving you are to all of us who are new to scoping. Thank you for all of your posts and for your wonderful webpages. Being new to digiscoping, I am struggling, like many others that are new to this endeavor, to find the right camera, scope, adapter, etc. I just bought the Pentax 80ed-a which included their zoom eyepiece to use with my Canon G2. Given what you have written elsewhere about both zoom eyepieces and digiscoping with the Canon G series I was not real surprised to find that I had real problems with vignetting. Less problems when I use the Scopetronix Maxview 40 for the Pentax scope but still some even when I zoom all the way out. So I have come to the conclusion that the Canon G2 is the culprit and probably needs to be replaced. Thus my question, given the age of the Nikon 995 or even the 4500, is this still the route you would take or would you recommend a newer model? If so, which one? In addition, since all of this depends on finding the right adapter, which adapter would you recommend for whatever camera you pick. Thanks again.

Camera Settings

Great source for anyone new to digiscoping as I am. I have been watching birds for years but have never attempted to photograph them using a spotting scope. It offers a great opportunity to quickly obtain fine pictures at a fraction of the cost if one were using the traditional long lenses.
Andy Bright said:

Full Manual:

Aperture Priority:

Shutter-Priority:

Focus modes:

White Balance:

Metering:

Continuous:

BSS:

Image Adjustment:

Saturation:

Sharpening:
See above.

Image Quality:

Image Size:

AF Area Mode:

Auto-Focus Mode:

Focus Confirmation:

Andy B

Macro Focussing

Just started digiscoping with swaro 80AT and coolpix 990, interested in your comments regarding focus settings using macro (tullip) . The book indicates that to maximise performance in this mode,the zoom should be set to turn tulip yellow, usually about 2x on mine. This obviously limits the capabillity of using full zoom ,do you get good results across the full range of the zoom in this mode?

ricklawes said:
Just started digiscoping with swaro 80AT and coolpix 990, interested in your comments regarding focus settings using macro (tullip) . The book indicates that to maximise performance in this mode,the zoom should be set to turn tulip yellow, usually about 2x on mine. This obviously limits the capabillity of using full zoom ,do you get good results across the full range of the zoom in this mode?
Hi Rick,
Welcome to BF, hope you enjoy the site.
Yep, it provides good results even when you take the zoom beyond the stated optimum zone.

cheers,
Andy

Camera settings and mission impossible

Hi Andy
I have just joined the forum and will be getting a Nikon Coolpix 4500 this week hopefully, had to track one down as wife took my first one! A year or so ago I went to a digiscoping workshop with Paul .?? a really enthusiastic and encouraging guy at Cley Spy in Norfolk. He had some really useful help sheets on how to practise and settings. Would you know who it was (mission impossible?) and can I get hold of the sheets, now i have the equipment to have a go. i know some of his pictures were in Eagle Optics book as i have bought their adapter a year ago. Hope you can help
Paul

paul andrew said:
Hi Andy
I have just joined the forum and will be getting a Nikon Coolpix 4500 this week hopefully, had to track one down as wife took my first one! A year or so ago I went to a digiscoping workshop with Paul .?? a really enthusiastic and encouraging guy at Cley Spy in Norfolk. He had some really useful help sheets on how to practise and settings. Would you know who it was (mission impossible?) and can I get hold of the sheets, now i have the equipment to have a go. i know some of his pictures were in Eagle Optics book as i have bought their adapter a year ago. Hope you can help
Paul
Hi Paul,
Sounds like my chirpy digiscoping mate Paul Hackett. I remember we put together some info sheets for digiscoping workshops/seminars and have a feeling he printed off the details from my own page here http://www.digiscoped.com/DigiscopingTechnique.html but he may have added some of his own wisdom to it.

Paul is a regular on birdforum (you can even catch his regualr video outings on www.wildissues.tv )
To contact him just click here http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=1343 to send him a private message.

cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy
Many thanks for this, you passed your first mission and I hope you ate the message before it self destructed. I've emailed Paul and will see what happens. in the mean time the link you gave looks very useful. Thanks again
Paul

Kowa TSN-1 and Canon400D setting help!!!!!

Hello all if you have not already picked up on the kit I have most recent Kowa TSN-1 seconhand from Kay Optics>many cameras latest buy canon 400D takes blinder pics and with Sigma 70-300> to the point finding it hard to get a good result when used with the scope I know it is setting need help on this one what setting and what is the starting point if any> do I need to knock down the picture quality as I have read about> will not give up> any in info would be of help>>

Regards Vonmax:scribe:scribe:

Andy

Thank you for taking time out to cover this subject which I have printed, well written Andy. I have had more success since using the Menu Priority Mode with some of the settings you mention but I must practice more using the Manual Mode now I have your notes and I can't wait to give a go. After reading your notes I need to make just a few settings adjustments but I was not far out only that I was using Menu Priority, tried all the others must not have been doing it right.
I wonder if anyone has experienced Fogging up. My 995 camera over heated which was in direct sunlight for a short period. This happened to me last summer so I have been aware of this since. While on a recent Caribbean cruise, there was a film crew onboard. This amazed me, he left his Nikon D1X set on the tripod in direct sun for ages but I guess you get what you pay for.

Roy.
Hi Roy
Just browsing through Andy's comments on digiscoping and came across your reply re. the caribbean.
I have 2 cruises scheduled for June 2007 and march 2008 which will also include the amazon.
I would be interested to know where you visited and what success you had with the birds. (feathered variety!)
John

Hi Andy/Ian.F
thanks for the info i am just about to print the info you posted andy.
Ian F great photo's for your first day@ digiscopeing, I am just waiting for my new adpter to arrive then this will be my first try at digiscopeing hope mine turn out as good as yous.
Reguards

All good info. Thanks! I'm new to digiscoping and have set up my Canon S400 on my 85 Diascope. It's worked pretty well but I am a bit dissapointed with the contrast and sharpness of the images. Compared to what I see looking through the scope, the digital images are washed out. I've been careful to align the camera with the scope both in translation and rotation, and have moved it back and forth along the optical axis trying to match the exit pupil of the scope with the entrance pupil of the camera by looking for the most even illumination of the scene. I've focused manually as well as using autofocus, including infinity and macro mode, and agree that macro is a bit better. Nothing has really made a huge improvement. One area where the Canon is lacking is that I can't select aperture or shutter priority, or shifting one against the other like I could with my old Olympus. Anyway, I guess this is the penalty paid for having so much glass in the optical path. I can use post-processing to get some of the contrast back, but it is not as good as prime focus photography would yield. Is this the reality of the situation or am I missing something?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back