• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepieces that'll reach focus in Pentax PF 65ED (1 Viewer)

rpras

Hi:

I have a 65ED on order along with a ScopeTronix 7-21 zoom. I'll look for a better eyepiece in the future once I play with the scope a bit. The scope will primarily be used for birding, with an occasional photo using a Canon 350D. Please list eyepieces you know that work well in terms of reaching focus in the 65ED.

Thanks.

I would say that most, if not all eyepieces will work in the Pentax PF series scopes. I like the Pentax XL eyepieces in any focal length. I have also used Televue and University Optics eyepieces as well. Do not expect to barlow with this scope although I have heard that Powermates will come to focus very well. Try to avoid serious digiscoping using zoom eyepieces.

Last edited:
Texun, could you explain to this newbie why digiscopers should not use zoom eyepieces with the PF65? Does it have to do with eye relief, or something else? Would appreciate your feedback, as I am thinking of getting the PF65 to work with my Canon 20D DSLR.

Wings, I have found that fixed focal length eyepieces are:
Sharper
Transmit more light
Easier to adapt a camera to
Less succeptable to vignetting

Use this forum to inquire about using a Canon 20D for digiscoping. The 20D would be better suited to prime focus photography in my estimation. Do not use my opinion as gospel, as I have no actual experience with that camera. Do try to get an expert opinion.

Thanks, Texun. the more I research the more convinced that I would be better off not using my 20D DSLR with the scope as "DSLR digiscoping is limited by the inability to zoom and the large F number, but the shutter speed, ISO, etc. cna be set manually to achieve the desired results without vignetting." Also, the maximum focal length I cna get out of this setup is 800-850mm.

A nice point-and-shoot would be a lighter attachment and should give me up to 2000mm (using the 3x zoom of the P&S and 21x EP)

I think some zooms will work. Only trouble is, the cheaper digiscoping adapters tend to rotate the zoom as they do not balance well. The weight causes the rotation.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back