• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 1.4 DG Tele-converter on Sigma 150-500 OS Lens. (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
Has anyone used the Sigma 1.4 DG Tele-converter on the Sigma 150-500 OS Lens (preferably with the Nikon D300) and if so could they let me/us have their findings.

I haven't used a TC with my 150-500 OS, but i should imagine the sharpness would go down to mildly satisfactory levels, basically it will work, MF only and sigma also says that the camera will work out the converted exposure for you as well. Remember that sharpness will be poor unless you use it at F/9 - F/11, which will give slow shutter speeds and require a tripod as OS systems aren't that good yet.

I suggest trying to borrow or hire a TC, as rentals are not very high for a weekend hire on a TC

Good luck, if you try this out, as if it works, I may be tempted to splash out on a TC for my canon fit copy.

Will

TC = Tele-Converter
MF = Manual Focus

Tape the pin

One can tape the AF reporting pin to over ride and allow the Sigma TC to AF. It'll probably not report the correct EXIF and may hunt a bit in lower lighting circumstances but it gives you extended AF opportunities.

Attachments

• DSC_6340_800x600_.JPG
    DSC_6340_800x600_.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 915
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back