• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What am I? - Rubbish Drawings. (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
Ever found a rubbish drawing of a bird that makes it almost unidentifiable? Why not post it here to see if it really is impossible to put a name to?

Your rather difficult starters for ten... (from South America, Asia, and North America respectively)

Attachments

• yt[1].gif
    yt[1].gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 93
  • mystery 1.svg[1].png
    mystery 1.svg[1].png
    30.9 KB · Views: 105
  • mystery 3.jpg
    mystery 3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 86
Speckled Teal is a superb answer. Great work!

The thrasher is not a Le Conte's, but I'm not sure that's discernible from the drawing.

Graham

No, they're depictions found by google. I've mot linked to them because that would give away the answer. Which I suppose means they are uncredited, which I guess may be an issue? Hmmm...

Not sure about the 'creditation' but you might want to think about altering the wording in your thread title just in case calling these ''rubbish'' causes offence/hurt/embarrassment or deters anyone from uploading their drawings into the Art forum on BF or their fieldnotes on the ID thread for fear of the same judgment! They may not be master works of art or realistically reflect the identification criteria of a particular species but presumably whoever drew them didn't set out with the intention of producing ''rubbish'' drawings! The fact that a drawing doesn't look like the 'real thing' doesn't make it 'rubbish' imo. Any attempt at drawing should be applauded regardless of outcome I reckon and encouraging people to google for other 'rubbish' drawings and upload them here for the same reason is something I personally feel very uncomfortable with (as someone who has taught Art and painted and drawn myself since a wee tot). It looks to me quite a lot of care has gone into all three of these drawings and I would hate for whoever made them to see them on this thread in this context.

(It's really ok to call your own photographs or field sketches rubbish of course and I have plenty of stuff in my own note books of c8rp drawings from over the years that look more like little aeroplanes than an accurate visual note of what I've seen and can only be identified by the labeling and written note attached to them!!!;))

Last edited:
Well it's too late to change the title. Unrealistic would have been better, but I was looking for an impactful title that would attract people to come and have a guess.

It's a big internet out there and if by any chance the creators of these works should stumble in here I would hope they accept my apologies if they feel at all insulted, although I suspect not everyone is that thin-skinned. If they are, perhaps the public domain is not the place for their drawings.

And the picture of the speckled duck is surely rubbish in anyone's book.

Since it provoked just one reply apart from yours, I give up. Your answers were..

(1) Speckled Teal
(2) Bugun Liocichla
(3) California Thrasher

[/End Thread]

Last edited:
The term 'rubbish' is relative, as I cannot draw at all, I personally think that although they are not graphically accurate, they are in my opinion better than i could have done!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back