• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorders and directional mikes (1 Viewer)

timlong25

Hello, I'm keen to buy a camcorder with a good zoom and capability to shoe on a directional mike (I've decided that this year I've got to record some of the vocal acrobatics going on in the garden). I wanted to buy a Canon MV600 (18x zoom), but according to Canon, this can't take the DM-50 external microphone. So, it looks like it has to be the MV650i (22x zoom, so no sacrifice there, except financially!.. extra £150..), but the MV750i is more widely available and much the same price as the 650i. If you have any experience with the Canon MV series and the DM-50, or simply know whether a DM-50 works with a MV600 or MV750i, it'd be great to hear your thoughts on the subject...

Many thanks in advance

Tim Long

Oops, just realised I've posted this in the Olympus forum.. was in here because I'm a happy owner of a C750 and checking out the threads on TCons. Incidentally, one thing that surprised me when I got the Oly up and shooting was the zoom... I was expecting that 380mm equiv lens to pull me right up to the beak of the robin singing his lung(s) out in the garden, but it doesn't seem to pull much further in than the old 90-210mm Tamron zoom on my old Pentax 35mm SLR (have only recently gone digital). So have now ordered a Tcon 1.7 etc. But has anyone else been disappointed? At first I thought I'd got a defective camera, but decided in the interval that my expectations had probably been too high. Been using the Oly for only a few days now, but I have to admit it's had me purring with pleasure, despite the zoom disappointment..

Welcome to BF tim. I too have an Oly 750 along with the tcon1.7

I expected to see inside the lungs of the robin at 50ft, but hey you can't have everything! Even so, it's still a great camera.

dont forget to post those pics!
Regards

Hi Helen, thx, am enjoying the forum. yes, the Oly's been a revelation to me.. at first I was viewing the results on my laptop with its 15inch screen and thinking hmm, the results could be a lot, lot better (and my photography technique too of course), and then decided to haul my old 19inch Diamondtron monitor out of the loft (if it had slipped out of my hands it would have killed me... it's not bad-tempered, it's just very, very heavy) and use that to view the images downloaded to the laptop.. what a difference that made!! Suddenly, I almost knew what it felt like to be David Bailey (hungover, bleary eyed, unshaven, etc..). Just kidding, but I was pleased. The Oly's certainly kept me entertained, learning about its capabilities. The only trouble is, the diamondtron takes up most of the house, so not sure I can find it a permanent home outside the loft. Will have to resort to viewing the results on the laptop or the telly (even worse).

Anyway, I digress.. I hope you're kidding about the Tcon not adding much to the mix! But I suspect you may be serious.. not a lot multiplied by 1.7 is, er, not a lot! Oh well, I'm learning the digital lessons (and the cost of those lessons too!)

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back