• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kincardineshire: The Mearns and beyond (1 Viewer)

Loads of Gannets feeding off Gourdon for the last couple of nights. Also saw them in flight early morning so i assume they are perhaps roosting somewhere local.

Other than that recent seawatching from the garden has revealed 5 Manxies, 1 Arctic Tern, good numbers of Little Gull. Oh, and last night, 9 Common Scoter flew past which is a first for the house list, and my first "first" of anything for ages!

Hope the weather is good for the weekend.

k

Crested Tit

Not sure if this is in Kincardineshire or Aberdeenshire but a Crested Tit has been reported from Glenatanar today on the Wildlife Web.A great bird for our region.

damnit! i was going to go to glentanar last sunday too but we went to crathes instead. crathes was nice but no crested tits there.

saw my first dipper today at the culter burn. and my garden feeders are doing a fine trade in goldfinches and assorted tits, with an occasional woodpecker still making appearances. not been doing much birding of late though but i will try and get some done in the rest of the month before it gets really cold.

anyone know if it's worth going to fowlsheugh this time of year or is it a bit empty once the nesting has finished?

Location of crested tit was Landranger map 44 Griid ref 484924. This is
at a fork in the track - the bird was in the dead tree on the right hand
side of the track just before the fork.

Dunno where Glentanar falls in the grand scheme of things either, but what an excellent bird to have mentioned in this thread!

Unfortunately Glen Tanar lies fimly within the boundaries of Aberdeenshire(and always has done), so all mention of Crested Tits should be removed from this thread immediately ;).*

The place where it has been seen is pretty remote from the road, but is a spot that I walked past four times last year doing atlas fieldwork, so just a pity it was a year late!

*PS. I've just remembered that there is a record of Crested Tit in Kincardineshire, from Drumtochty Forest in the 1970s (at a time when they were threatening to colonise Deeside).

Quite a few Long-tailed Ducks at Lunan Bay today. Best viewed from the top of the dunes above the car park. Just in case anyone still needs them for their 2009 year list ;)

Unfortunately Glen Tanar lies fimly within the boundaries of Aberdeenshire(and always has done), so all mention of Crested Tits should be removed from this thread immediately ;).*

The place where it has been seen is pretty remote from the road, but is a spot that I walked past four times last year doing atlas fieldwork, so just a pity it was a year late!

*PS. I've just remembered that there is a record of Crested Tit in Kincardineshire, from Drumtochty Forest in the 1970s (at a time when they were threatening to colonise Deeside).

surely glentanar falls firmly within the realms of 'and beyond' and so is quite at home within this thread. or should we start a seperate deeside thread? i've thought about starting one but feel 3 threads covering aberdeenshire is a bit much and wouldn't get much updates.

Iceland Gull

There's a crackin iceland gull in Gourdon Harbour. Nicely reported on ABZ forum by Hugh Addlesee.

Glad to report that it's still there this morninig.

I just wonder how many time's i've walked past it and not even noticed!

k

Went to RSPB Fowlsheugh Reserve yesterday ( a few miles south of Stonehaven) Quite amazing numbers of birds on the cliffs, lots of young, and plenty passerines in the bushes. I even picked out two Puffins on the sea, among all the Razorbills and Guillemots. And who is this having a swim among the birds?

Attachments

• _MG_0646.jpg
    _MG_0646.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 90
  • _MG_0651.jpg
    _MG_0651.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 129
  • _MG_0663.jpg
    _MG_0663.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 119
Today I went to a few places new to me. Firstly, Kinneff Old Church, where I saw a Spotted Flycatcher on top of the church roof, and a Chiffchaff busily tail dipping in a tree by the gate. Then I went to Gourdon, to look for the Great Grey Shrike, but no joy there. The rocky shore backed by a shingle bank and rough grass looks promising. There were a few wheatears, lots of pipits and waders. Finally I had a look at Johnshaven where there were the usual waders on the boulder beach and some distant shearwaters, gulls and Gannets out to sea. The north end of the village just beyond the caravan site is a good place to park, and a walk along the shore path provides trees and bushes on one side and the beach on the other.

If anybody wants to see a Starling roost, Cloak just north of Catterline is well worth a look. I finally managed to be there on time today, having previously only seen them in the distance from the A92. Probably 15-20,000 went to roost in conifers at 3.45. They're easily viewed from the minor road. Birding otherwise very quiet today.

If anybody wants to see a Starling roost, Cloak just north of Catterline is well worth a look. I finally managed to be there on time today, having previously only seen them in the distance from the A92. Probably 15-20,000 went to roost in conifers at 3.45. They're easily viewed from the minor road. Birding otherwise very quiet today.

I went to see the spectacle today - well worth it.

2 Brent Geese (pale bellied) on the banks of the Bervie at Inverbervie caravan site.

Having ticked the requisite 'I am aware that this thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply' I post having no idea why this particular post lost its wings, or migrated, or whatever. Based on the borderlands of Angus and Kincardinshire, with a viewing range from the Cairngorms to the coast, and everything in between, I may even be a rarity who has unwittingly ended up off course with a post here. If so, a re-direction would be much appreciated.

Made my way down (literally and carefully) to long abandoned Little Johnshaven today. Arrived at 10.20, left at 12.20. 20-25 Guillemot, active on a rough and high tide. Herring Gull on the vertical faces, with the exception of 1 Fulmar. A pair of puffins appeared across the inlet, out and about on the water. Residents of Fowlsheugh, on an out of resort excursion perhaps? A pair of eiders bobbed about also, largely inactive and all the while, what appeared to be a Sparrowhawk dotted in and (mostly) out of view in the distance high above the cliff edge.

Interested in catching a Garganey over the next month or so. Any points in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Drislane,
Puffins probably actually breed at Kinneff (I've certainly seen a lot offshore there and there are other previous counts). The likely cliffs are more difficult to view from land than at Fowlsheugh though.
For Garganey, your best bets are Loch of Strathbeg (where there was a drake reported today) and Loch of Kinnordy. They're infrequent anywhere else close by.
Cheers,
Hugh

Thank you.

Thank you, Hugh. Very much appreciated re Garganey. Will most likely travel south on Saturday morning to Kinnordy. From there, time permitting, a run by the Tay in search of Bearded Tit.

5.30pm to 7.00pm on the old mail road from Benholm to Inverbervie this evening. Lapwing holding court to right on crest of hill, walking northward, acrobatics on show. Skylark and Pied Wagtail as a supporting cast.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back