• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

species splits and merges in North America (1 Viewer)

torrent

Hey, I was wondering where I can find a list of the species that have been split or grouped within the last few years here in North America. I want to update my FG, and I'm not sure where to find a site that will list the changes that have been made for different species. thanks guys.

Last edited:
Torrent,
A tough question without restricting the field. What classification scheme does your Field Guide use would be the first question? The next question is according to which classification scheme you would want to annotate the taxonomic changes for the years in question? I don't think that there is any one site that takes into account in any type of chronological order for the four or five major taxonomic schemes used by birders in the US of the various changes. If I could see a list of the latin names used in your FG I am sure that I could probably tell you the changes occurring for the Sibley-Monroe, Clement's and Howard & Moore lists from memory. There are also downloadable current AOU lists around on the web that may be of help.

thx roller, I guess it's pretty hard to find a site that would list all the changes. I found a site that listed a few here:

http://www.avisys.net/aou.htm

I guess I'm not very worried if there position in the book is changed, mainly changes such as the sage grouse split or the ones on the site I posted. I want to find a way to stay up to date. Is there a way any of u guys could recommend? Or just download a checklist maybe? I would also like scientific name changes. If anyone could post a site that would be great. Thx guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back