• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Won't be long now -- the bats will arrive (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
Pretty soon the Lesser Long-nosed Bats or the Mexican Long-tongued Bats (not sure which) will arrive and then I have to bring my feeders in after dark and put them out before dawn. It's a pain and it lasts until sometime in October. Sometimes I put out a 30-oz hummingbird feeder for them and they drain it by morning. If I go out with a flashlight I can see them swooping in.

Here are some great pics of the bats (that I didn't take |=)|):

http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/10/11/tucsons-hummingbird-feeder-bats/

It's strange how I don't have this problem in the Spring. It's only in the Fall.

Last edited:
Tucson hummer feeder bats

Pretty soon the Lesser Long-nosed Bats or the Mexican Long-tongued Bats (not sure which) will arrive and then I have to bring my feeders in after dark and put them out before dawn. It's a pain and it lasts until sometime in October. Sometimes I put out a 30-oz hummingbird feeder for them and they drain it by morning. If I go out with a flashlight I can see them swooping in.

Here are some great pics of the bats (that I didn't take |=)|):

http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/10/11/tucsons-hummingbird-feeder-bats/

It's strange how I don't have this problem in the Spring. It's only in the Fall.

The autumn arrival of these migratory Mexican bats coincides with the blooming of the agaves and certain cacti where they find nectar -- and which they pollinate.

Some of them have discovered that hummer feeders are easier sources of food however.

They don't tolerate colder weather, and go back home when Tucson cools off, usually during mid-to-late October, as I recall.

Wild Birds Unlimited (Tanque Verde Rd.) used to make (maybe still do?)a nice cage that kept the bats from draining feeders without excluding or
intimidating hummers. (Some ignored it and some used it as a perch.)

I purchased one of these cages, with which I was pleased, but found that I
needed more. (I was feeding dozens of hummers at that time.)

I made a very simple cage myself using plain ol' hanging plant baskets (Ace Hardware - two for $5.00) and a few S-hooks. That worked just as well. And probably just one basket over the top of the feeder would have done the job.

If I find a photo, I will attach it.

It seems like we've had this conversation before, a couple of years ago?http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=152637&page=2

Last edited:
I had one hanging onto the roof of my back porch last night, the first I've seen this year.

I had one hanging onto the roof of my back porch last night, the first I've seen this year.
So, they're on their way up here. Thanks for the warning!! I usually know they're here when one or more of my feeders are empty in the morning.

Also, I may be mistaken, but it seems like the hummer activity is up a notch, a few more "aerial combats" than normal. Am I seeing the first of the migrants?

Also, I may be mistaken, but it seems like the hummer activity is up a notch, a few more "aerial combats" than normal. Am I seeing the first of the migrants?

Probably, saw my first Rufous this morning. So they should be coming through the Vail area.

The autumn arrival of these migratory Mexican bats coincides with the blooming of the agaves and certain cacti where they find nectar -- and which they pollinate.

Some of them have discovered that hummer feeders are easier sources of food however.

They don't tolerate colder weather, and go back home when Tucson cools off, usually during mid-to-late October, as I recall.

Wild Birds Unlimited (Tanque Verde Rd.) used to make (maybe still do?)a nice cage that kept the bats from draining feeders without excluding or
intimidating hummers. (Some ignored it and some used it as a perch.)

I purchased one of these cages, with which I was pleased, but found that I
needed more. (I was feeding dozens of hummers at that time.)

I made a very simple cage myself using plain ol' hanging plant baskets (Ace Hardware - two for $5.00) and a few S-hooks. That worked just as well. And probably just one basket over the top of the feeder would have done the job.
Thank you for the info.

Interesting photos Puma. I hadn't really thought much about the ability of bats to perch!

There are large numbers of insect eating bats here, of several species, on the edge of the city of Bucaramanga, and at least one nectar feeder - Pallas's Long-tongued Bat. I'd actually quite like to get some shots of them at my balcony hummer feeder but although sometimes the nectar level drops slightly overnight, I've not yet seen any bats taking nectar.

If I put red dye in the feeder, will I attract vampire bats? ;)

We have quite a few insect-eating "House Bats" (not quite sure what species) that come out at dusk and put on a good show along with the Lesser Nighthawks. Sometimes I toss up a small rock and both the Nighthawks and the bats will zoom over to check it out.

Two of my four hummingbird feeders were drained last night so it looks like the Mexican bats are migrating thru again. Now I have to bring the feeders in after sunset and put them out before dawn. I have to do this till the first week in November -- sort of a chore but I don't mind. Sometimes I fill up a large 30-oz hummingbird feeder with nectar and leave it out for them.

I've only kept records for the last four years. Here are the arrival dates:

2010 - Aug 26
2011 - Aug 16
2012 - Aug 27
2013 - Aug 19 (today)

Last edited:
Did you come up with any 'new' ideas on how to keep the bats from draining your hummingbird feeders?
No. I just bring the feeders in each night starting about the third week of August. I started leaving them out all night about a week ago and the bats seem to be gone. I wait till just after dark to bring them in and get up before dawn to take them out -- the hummers are out late and up very early. It's a bit of a pain, especially with having to refill them every 2-3 days.

I believe there are shrouds you can buy (make?) that fit over some feeders and have spaces that only allow the hummingbirds in.

A few times I've filled my largest hummingbird feeder (30 oz) and left it out for the bats. I feed all the wildlife if I can.

Last edited:
I believe there are shrouds you can buy (make?) that fit over some feeders and have spaces that only allow the hummingbirds in.

It may be a bit of trouble but bringing them in is the best solution. Those contraptions to keep out the bats make the hummingbird feeders ugly! :eek!:

It may be a bit of trouble but bringing them in is the best solution.
I think so too. I'm resigned to it -- probably till I'm too old to do it anymore.

Do the hummers stay there in Florida (where you live) all year round? I have about 8-12 that stay here all winter. (I have four feeders.)

Yep! They find this to be a great year 'round home, I suppose.

However, I have some friends that live a bit in the north central part of FLA and they seem to get hummingbirds in the heat of the summer, when mine are a bit scarce.

However I'll admint, sometimes in the heat of the summer I have been known to not fill my feeders as often. It's so HOT! :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back