• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad birding (bird photography) behaviour (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
In their attempt to get the best action shots of adult Little Terns feeding their chick, a group of photographers in Singapore resorted to tying the chick to a bush so that it will not run away from the lens when the parents returned with food. This is utterly stupid and criminal birding behaviour. Refer to the attached FB post where this despicable actions were photographed.

https://www.facebook.com/singaporebirdgroup/posts/289527301253612

Wonder why on earth did these photographers go into nature photography in the first place!?!?

Even the Bird Parks and Zoos don't tie their collections to a perch so that paying visitors can get the best view or shots of them. A totally disgraceful act.

In their attempt to get the best action shots of adult Little Terns feeding their chick, a group of photographers in Singapore resorted to tying the chick to a bush so that it will not run away from the lens when the parents returned with food. This is utterly stupid and criminal birding behaviour. Refer to the attached FB post where this despicable actions were photographed.

https://www.facebook.com/singaporebirdgroup/posts/289527301253612

Wonder why on earth did these photographers go into nature photography in the first place!?!?

Even the Bird Parks and Zoos don't tie their collections to a perch so that paying visitors can get the best view or shots of them. A totally disgraceful act.

I reported two incidents of photographers disturbing a rapidly declining migrant.
After foolishly advertising where they could be seen I saw two photographers getting as close as they could and taking endless shots of them.
In both cases recently fledged juveniles were around and the parents were clearly anxious because of the close attention.
The photographers were totally oblivious to the parent's anxiety.They were more interested in getting a close-up than the birds' welfare.
That's it! I am not publicising sensitive sightings any more.
As a birdwatcher I am happy to get a distant view of a bird through my bins or scope.
Some photographers obviously need to get closer than this to satisfy their needs.

I would daresay these people are not birding, but only interested in photography. Not 'birders' by any means.

Leave only footprints. Take only photos (or visuals if you prefer).

I would daresay these people are not birding, but only interested in photography. Not 'birders' by any means.

Leave only footprints. Take only photos (or visuals if you prefer).

Wishful thinking KyleM. I have seen birders behave in some terrible ways with very little regard for the welfare of the bird they are seeking.

I'll never forget once on an outing in Sydney with some birders, one took a large rock and banged so hard on a medium-sized tree hole just to show off that he knew where an Australian Owlet Nightjar was. The poor bird came out nervous and startled :-C.

Is this what birding is really about ?. I don't think so

How about the use of playback, especially by guides who are doing this day in day out, as they're under pressure to deliver the "tick" to their client birder ?.

Is this what birding is really about ?. I don't think so

Don't get me started :smoke:

I have a lot of respect for a guide I used in Thailand once who refuses point blank to use any playback. His motto was "the bird's welfare first". Alas he's in the minority.

Oh, that birder in Sydney was a humanities academic; you'd think he should know better 8-P

I saw some case in non-birding blog where a chinese bird photographer hold a full-breeding great crested grebe on his hand to get close up picture. I don't if the bird is alive or wild, but holding it on the neck is just too disturbing to see...

There is another case in Indonesia when a stupid bird photographer took a Zitting cisticola chick from its nest only to get a feeding moment. What a shame! :(

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back