• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV 8x25? (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I'm looking for a very light and compact bino to ID birds while trekking. I wear eyeglasses, I know from past experience that binos with exit pupil under 3mm don't work well for me (so no 8x20s and 10x25s), and value is important.

These Kowas seem to check all the boxes: 9.1oz in a double hinge design for true pocketability; 3.1mm exit pupil; 15mm eye relief with a fairly wide field all for around $100US. Other binos in the SV line get good reviews but I can't find anything on the 8x25.

Has anyone tried them?

We bought it for a trip to Costa Rica so that my wife would have something light to carry around.

Pros:
- good picture quality (but we mostly used them in bright daylight)
- lightweight
- compact

Cons:
- small field of vision makes it a bit tricky to locate the object of interest
- lens caps are not attached to the main body in any way, so you can lose them quite easily
- lens are not protected by any caps at one end

I don't regret buying them but I wouldn't use them as the only binocular.

Should make a good opera glass BTW.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back